Discovery Gaming Community
Discordian Q & A - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Real Life Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Thread: Discordian Q & A (/showthread.php?tid=1757)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Discordian Q & A - Vo - 11-08-2006

Lt.Cmdr.Olsav,Nov 8 2006, 03:48 AM Wrote:You know the idea of a dope smoking chaos spreading hippy colony that follows a loose belief systme that contradicts or is hypocritical appealing to me.  Ive decided i follow Eris.

let the chaos roll....................
[snapback]43518[/snapback]

Heck yez

wh0 nedz spelng ethr?

u cn undrstnd me rt?

nu wel lrn to rede

Discordian Q & A - Malaclypse 666 - 11-08-2006

Lot of big words there, fellers,

The most dangerous word has two letters. I and S

the Curse of Isness is can be fatal to actual thought.

If I tell you that "Eris IS the only True God..ess" or that putting something in your lungs IS the only way to illumination..

..then I suffer the Curse. And you should run away.

Now, let's use the "Maybe" logic approach used by Korzybski (3-valued logic: yes/no/maybe, or true/false/meaningless), and expanded on by NLP and the Bard Wilson, and allow me to say that "Eris seems Godlike to me, and somebunall of the things She espouses ring true." Put that through your filters and smoke it.

After all, I'm just a rowdy guest in your tunnel reality. You choose to let me in. It's when you choose to believe me that I start to worry....

Hail Eris!
All Hail Discordia!

Are there any of the tuna sandwiches left?

Discordian Q & A - Yngen - 11-09-2006

I just want to go on record in saying that I never said it was hypocritical :cool:

Discordian Q & A - Malaclypse 666 - 11-10-2006

Yngen,Nov 7 2006, 10:20 AM Wrote:The Gods wont care, however the Goddesses might-is Eris beautiful? Aphrodite doesn't tolerate competition, ask Paris :)
[snapback]43457[/snapback]
Well, since you mention Aphrodite...

The Original Snub
(From The Principia Discordia, all Rites Reversed, pages 00017 and 00018)

It seems that Zeus was preparing a wedding banquet for Peleus and Thetis and did not want to invite Eris because of Her reputation as a trouble maker.*
This made Eris angry, and so She fashioned an apple of pure gold** and inscribed upon it καλλίστῃ ("To The Prettiest One") and on the day of the fete She rolled it into the banquet hall and then left to be alone and joyously partake of a hot dog.
Now, three of the invited goddesses,*** Athena, Hera, and Aphrodite, each immediately claimed it to belong to herself because of the inscription. And they started fighting, and they started throwing punch all over the place and everything.
Finally Zeus calmed things down and declared that an arbitrator must be selected, which was a reasonable suggestion, and all agreed. He sent them to a shepherd of Troy, whose name was Paris because his mother had had a lot of gaul and had married a Frenchman; but each of the sneaky goddesses tried to outwit the others by going early and offering a bribe to Paris.
Athena offered him Heroic War Victories, Hera offered him Great Wealth, and Aphrodite offered him the Most Beautiful Woman on Earth. Being a healthy young Trojan lad, Paris promptly accepted Aphrodite's bribe and she got the apple and he got screwed.
As she had promised, she maneuvered earthly happenings so that Paris could have Helen (the Helen) then living with her husband Menelaus, King of Sparta. Anyway, everyone knows that the Trojan War followed when Sparta demanded their Queen back and that the Trojan War is said to be The First War among men.
And so we suffer because of the Original Snub. And so a Discordian is to partake of No Hot Dog Buns. Do you believe that?
* This is called THE DOCTRINE OF THE ORIGINAL SNUB
** There is historic disagreement concerning whether this apple was of metallic gold or Acapulco gold.
*** Actually there were five goddesses, but the Greeks did not know the Law of Fives.
The Golden Apple of Discord is thus one of the major symbols associated with Discordianism.
[Image: goldenapple1.jpg]

Discordian Q & A - Malaclypse 666 - 12-07-2006

"Hi kids!"

"Now that I'm semi-retired as commander of the ELF, and have more time on my hands, I thought I'd try to stop by a bit more often." said Mal, as he alternately amazed and repulsed the gathered students with his new technicolor aloha shirt and blindingly white legs peeking out from raggedy cargo shorts.

"Since that young lad Zukeenee left the Creche, we don't seem to have had many questions about anything, let alone about Discordian Catma.

"So, if you young subgenii have questions which might fall into the realm of the esoteric or myterious other than Discordian, let's get those little Pineals popping by giving them some excercise! Who wants to start?"

Discordian Q & A - Lt.Cmdr.Olsav - 12-08-2006

Dear sir, how can i further eris through my personal actions??

Discordian Q & A - Shamus - 12-08-2006

Err,

I didn't make it through regular school..

Will I get any sort of diploma if I can absorb this rot?

Discordian Q & A - Malaclypse 666 - 12-08-2006

Lt.Cmdr.Olsav,Dec 7 2006, 05:08 PM Wrote:Dear sir, how can i further eris through my personal actions??
[snapback]47612[/snapback]

A very good question, young sir, with many possible answers.

However, I will answer your question, and at the same time we will have an opportunity to review an earlier lesson, and to introduce a new "Discordian" word into your vocabulary. The word is "Sombunall".

In a previous lesson, we learned about the "Curse of Isness". Briefly, you were cautioned that if an authority figure tells you that something "is" this way, or "is not" that way, then that authority figure is trying to convince you that what he says "is" a universal truth, and not to be questioned. The lesson hoped to teach you to use more objective terms, such as "seems to be", or perhaps "In my opinion..." to describe your very rich but limited experience of the reality around you.

In the same spirit, consider the following statements:

"All pirates are bad!"
"All religions are horse hockey, except My Religion!"
"All figures of authority know what is best for my own good."

Now, we not only must be cautious of the verb "is/are", but we have another word which should immediately cause your Pineal to itch, and the fnords to start becoming visible: "All". To avoid the pitfalls presented by this scenario, the ancient Saint/Bard Wilson created a word, which is really a contraction of the many-valued-logic phrase "Some, but not all.." Ergo, "Sombunall".

As some of your eyes are already glazing over, I shall quickly answer the young man's query: You can further the concepts which Eris represents by questioning authority and dogma. For example, when you hear someone say, "All pirates are bad!", try immediately rephrasing the statement in your mind, to "Sombunall pirates are bad." This exercise serves the dual purpose of questioning the authority and "truth" of the statement, and also causing your own Pineal to consider the possibility that "sombunall" pirates may actually not be quite so bad.

All Eris wants of you is to use that marvelous instrument called the brain for its intended purpose: To investigate, explore, question, and even to create, the reality which appears around you. "Who is the master who makes the grass green?" I'll tell ya.. it ain't the person who proclaims as gospel that the grass is, was, and and always will be chartreuse.

Well, acolytes, that's quite a lot for now. What say we take a break and go play in the ..em.. multi-colored grass.

Discordian Q & A - Malaclypse 666 - 12-08-2006

Shamus,Dec 7 2006, 06:19 PM Wrote:Will I get any sort of diploma if I can absorb this rot?
[snapback]47623[/snapback]

Ah, that was refreshing, even though I'm not in the best shape for 'kick the can".

Shamus, I noticed that you seem to be a bit "challenged" when it comes to the concept of Recess. Very aloof and somewhat condescending of the others.

I'll tell you what. If you don't learn another thing from attending our Creche than how to "play", how to lighten up and enjoy yourself and the world around you, I will still issue you a shiney, personally autographed "Diploma".

Deal?

Discordian Q & A - Ant - 12-08-2006

How does the universe fit inside a particle?

Edit: Trick question of course. ;)