Discovery Gaming Community
Opinion: Discovery's Problems - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Opinion: Discovery's Problems (/showthread.php?tid=177636)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: Opinion: Discovery's Problems - Hokan - 03-25-2020

(03-25-2020, 08:19 PM)Shelco Wrote:
(03-22-2020, 10:30 PM)Binski Wrote: Probably should have done this a while back.

I am a call it as I see it guy, I know many will disagree and I look forwards to examining the arguments already. Instead of doing a bunch of threads, might as well lay out my issues all in one place, and undoubtedly for the last time.

1. Lack of closed roleplay/immersion:

I know many see it as completely unreasonable to go back, but the truth is, ditching closed roleplay helped destroy this place. It now lacks completely substance and depth. Apparently everyone should just belong to every faction. That also underscores though that there is no real depth to any action being done here. There are no real secrets, no one bothers anymore, since its pointless and frowned upon (by the weak, who's only option is to oorp'ly pressure things to be better for them).

Basically though, it was always better, and always would be better, to have real teams, and real sides. As 'real' as real gets for a video game. I know many here can't get into it though without scratching at each others' eyes, so I often wonder how much better things could have been if the lost boys here weren't so immature.

I agree with this point, I personally came to Disco thinking it was way more locked down between the factions, naturally, people want to be in more than just few factions but I'd like to see how restrictions on this would look like.

I'd actually like some elaboration on this. As in, what does a 'locked' factions look like.

I do acknowledge however, that tribal feuds between player groups does drive activity. It does however, get very messy and stale when progression isn't facilitated and open for both sides to exploit.
Disco could have a number of faction specific 'mechanics' that are really only engaged in by them to gain more benefits for them. But that would also require re-balancing of pvp otherwise you would have whichever faction has the largest amount of veteran players just winning all the time.

RE: Opinion: Discovery's Problems - Thexare - 03-26-2020

(03-25-2020, 02:25 PM)Binski Wrote:
(03-25-2020, 02:11 PM)Groshyr Wrote: >make vhf bomber capable

I'm done here. bye

Well thats how they do things in the real world.

the real world is rarely fun or balanced.

RE: Opinion: Discovery's Problems - Jeuge - 03-26-2020

the problems is you

RE: Opinion: Discovery's Problems - Dark.Star - 03-26-2020

i heard a gaul say delete rheinland

*reloads shotgun with religious intent*

RE: Opinion: Discovery's Problems - Binski - 03-26-2020

(03-25-2020, 10:42 PM)The Only Hokan Wrote:
(03-25-2020, 08:19 PM)Shelco Wrote:
(03-22-2020, 10:30 PM)Binski Wrote: Probably should have done this a while back.

I am a call it as I see it guy, I know many will disagree and I look forwards to examining the arguments already. Instead of doing a bunch of threads, might as well lay out my issues all in one place, and undoubtedly for the last time.

1. Lack of closed roleplay/immersion:

I know many see it as completely unreasonable to go back, but the truth is, ditching closed roleplay helped destroy this place. It now lacks completely substance and depth. Apparently everyone should just belong to every faction. That also underscores though that there is no real depth to any action being done here. There are no real secrets, no one bothers anymore, since its pointless and frowned upon (by the weak, who's only option is to oorp'ly pressure things to be better for them).

Basically though, it was always better, and always would be better, to have real teams, and real sides. As 'real' as real gets for a video game. I know many here can't get into it though without scratching at each others' eyes, so I often wonder how much better things could have been if the lost boys here weren't so immature.

I agree with this point, I personally came to Disco thinking it was way more locked down between the factions, naturally, people want to be in more than just few factions but I'd like to see how restrictions on this would look like.

I'd actually like some elaboration on this. As in, what does a 'locked' factions look like.

I do acknowledge however, that tribal feuds between player groups does drive activity. It does however, get very messy and stale when progression isn't facilitated and open for both sides to exploit.
Disco could have a number of faction specific 'mechanics' that are really only engaged in by them to gain more benefits for them. But that would also require re-balancing of pvp otherwise you would have whichever faction has the largest amount of veteran players just winning all the time.

Well it was already the rules years ago, and was pretty simple. You couldn't belong to ID's that are hostile or at war to eachother. So you could still fly for plenty of combinations, you'd just have to separate where there are enemies.To me, everyone only worrying about balancing fights (like kids) and flying for one faction one day, then switching for balance purposes to me kills the entire thing. It means immersion is out the window and an event is pointless, not serious. Yes, it would mean less balanced fights, but I dont play to square off on even sides, I only fly the live environment usually so I'm only fighting in random spontaneous fights myself. I'd rather lose a real fight.

I know people feel they are just making it interesting, but I never understood why we didnt let weaker, less populated factions (Gallia during the first 5+ years of the war) lose if they couldnt attact more players. We could have used NPC's for their side more or something. Otherwise it waters down the experience to the point of piontless. If there had been things at risk, like stations or territory, people would stick to the sid they want to win, and someone would just actually lose. Crazy system concept eh?

The reason the war population picked up in the last year was due to all the hype. And the belief that our efforts on either side may determine how the war ends. But then script came into effect and comepletely killed what could have been an epic actual space war. Everything was there, all the players came out, we just stopped right before the last step. When people feel there is a chance to effect a battle outcome, a war's outcome, thats what gets them online. I say, let each side do its best to find people, and see who can win real time conflicts over real issues. Believe it or not but allowing real risks will attact people to those ID's. If one less popular side loses due to that, they had their chance, it was fun, and people move on.

I'd be surpised to find anyone who is willing to fly a combat role who would prefer fixed outcomes or scripted wars. Everyone prefers being able to use their capabilities as best they can to achive goals, win real battles. I diverged into that topic because it was the very point of no fixed RP or locked factions is what ruined what could have been a much more immersive experience all last year. It will remain just as bad for future conflicts as long as no change is made

RE: Opinion: Discovery's Problems - Groshyr - 03-26-2020

@Binski

>The Star Wars Freeworlds: Tides of War mod is running, they could use some players!

My potato can't even be in the main menu, lol. 10 FPS

RE: Opinion: Discovery's Problems - Dhomie42 - 03-26-2020

The Star Wars Freeworlds: Tides of War

See, now that is a mod that took Freelancer to a whole different level in terms of content, and they had other stuff already in development before they more or less stopped due to the lack of interest in general.

RE: Opinion: Discovery's Problems - Binski - 03-26-2020

(03-26-2020, 07:26 PM)Groshyr Wrote: @Binski

>The Star Wars Freeworlds: Tides of War mod is running, they could use some players!

My potato can't even be in the main menu, lol. 10 FPS

I'm in the same situation sadly, I had it installed but it wouldnt update the mod files, so I uninstalled the whole thing and started over and now my potato won't even start the launcher, so I proabably won't be on myself until I get something better.

(03-26-2020, 07:35 PM)Dhomie42 Wrote: The Star Wars Freeworlds: Tides of War

See, now that is a mod that took Freelancer to a whole different level in terms of content, and they had other stuff already in development before they more or less stopped due to the lack of interest in general.

Yes indeed, I loved it, its probably the best portrayal of the Star Wars universe I've ever seen, unlike anything else from any SW games. I can't believe it didn't invoke much interest. All it lacked was a bigger community and it could have been a place like Discovery. It does have some good ideas with how they dock/land (using a wire frame grid to guide your approach) and the hyperspace system, which is really spot on. I've often wondered what big pvp is like with those mechanics (no CD's, anyone can jump out after waiting several seconds of not firing and calculating the jump point...if you survive the wait).