Discovery Gaming Community
Discovery Freelancer: Fire and Fortune Release Date Announcement - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: News and Announcements (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Discovery Freelancer: Fire and Fortune Release Date Announcement (/showthread.php?tid=198173)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: Discovery Freelancer: Fire and Fortune Release Date Announcement - Grumblesaur - 08-07-2023

(08-07-2023, 01:58 AM)Tenshi Kuonji Wrote: <snip>

Since you seem to know better sight unseen, you should consider opening up shop as a psychic. I'm sure you could make a bunch of money.

RE: Discovery Freelancer: Fire and Fortune Release Date Announcement - Czechmate - 08-07-2023

Yeah, it's definitely a step in the right direction with this communication, announcing stuff etc. Way more could and should be done but this is a good start.

Let's wait for the actual patch with critique doubt we can change much now

RE: Discovery Freelancer: Fire and Fortune Release Date Announcement - Tenshi Kuonji - 08-07-2023

(08-07-2023, 05:21 AM)Grumblesaur Wrote:
(08-07-2023, 01:58 AM)Tenshi Kuonji Wrote: <snip>
Since you seem to know better sight unseen, you should consider opening up shop as a psychic. I'm sure you could make a bunch of money.

Since you know a lot about community, you should start looking a job as a Community Manager ... I'm pretty sure you will get a lot more of "Likes"

RE: Discovery Freelancer: Fire and Fortune Release Date Announcement - Corile - 08-07-2023

(08-06-2023, 03:35 PM)Laz Wrote: Discovery player base avoid complaints about being given new shiny things by non-paid developer term challenge: impossible

team being able to withstand criticism without invoking the "bUt tHeY dO iT fOr FrEe" argument challenge: impossible

RE: Discovery Freelancer: Fire and Fortune Release Date Announcement - SnakThree - 08-07-2023

(08-07-2023, 09:15 AM)Corile Wrote:
(08-06-2023, 03:35 PM)Laz Wrote: Discovery player base avoid complaints about being given new shiny things by non-paid developer term challenge: impossible

team being able to withstand criticism without invoking the "bUt tHeY dO iT fOr FrEe" argument challenge: impossible

When devs start insulting people for speaking their mind, you know their ego is fragile. Nothing new sadly.

RE: Discovery Freelancer: Fire and Fortune Release Date Announcement - Reeves - 08-07-2023

This really is a certified harvest dawn moment.

RE: Discovery Freelancer: Fire and Fortune Release Date Announcement - James Greed - 08-07-2023

(08-07-2023, 10:48 AM)Reeves Wrote: This really is a certified harvest dawn moment.

Say no more

RE: Discovery Freelancer: Fire and Fortune Release Date Announcement - Haste - 08-07-2023

(08-07-2023, 01:58 AM)Tenshi Kuonji Wrote: Talk us about the amount of Nova Shots must land by damaging correctly that 6M health pool

76 Nova hits to destroy the Corsair Battlecruiser front (by which time, again, the ship itself has exploded already). I really would be more concerned that explosive weapons are inferior against BCs, rather than wrongfully assuming they are over-tuned because "explosion resistance" is something the vanilla game does not use for collision groups.

(08-07-2023, 01:58 AM)Tenshi Kuonji Wrote: More secondaries for Battlecrusiers [snip]

I just had a look at specifically Liberty Battlecruiser Primaries in the test build. By now, I assume you understand that prims are a versatile slot on BCs and that they cover both the high accuracy, high velocity niche against other capitals, and the snub defense niche. They do -- converted to current Discovery numbers, which takes a little bit of math as things have changed quite a lot -- 23,500 DPS. Live server Liberty BC Secondaries do 8,820. This means that two BC prims do as much damage as five current secondaries. You can run up to five, though that would be a pretty bad loadout in all likelihood.

Maybe that still doesn't sound like a lot to you. But let's look at Battlecruiser Flaks, then. Test build BC flaks deal -- converted, again -- 74,000 shield damage. Most of that is energy damage, so bomber powercores won't take kindly to it. They'll also have their shields one-tapped meaning that most of the time, when bombers get close to you, they're not going to have shields.

Now, BC flaks do have some mechanics to keep them from being overwhelmingly powerful, which maybe we can go into detail about at a later date, but you're drawing really, really bad conclusions from nothing but turret counts.

RE: Discovery Freelancer: Fire and Fortune Release Date Announcement - Loken - 08-07-2023

(08-07-2023, 10:48 AM)Reeves Wrote: This really is a certified harvest dawn moment.
STOP! You've violated the mod. Pay the mob a fine or serve your sentence.

RE: Discovery Freelancer: Fire and Fortune Release Date Announcement - Petitioner - 08-16-2023

(08-07-2023, 05:58 AM)Czechmate Wrote: Yeah, it's definitely a step in the right direction with this communication, announcing stuff etc. Way more could and should be done but this is a good start.

The staff team has made it a priority to be more forthcoming about seeking community engagement with major changes like this. While not all the engagement in this thread has been constructive—and I'd like to remind everyone to do their level best to post in good faith, even with those they historically have disagreements with—most of us have been really enjoying seeing the community response to the increased communication lately.

Personally, I'm not a caps player, more of a bombers type of gal, and I'm extremely excited to see bomber combat becoming both riskier and more rewarding. My personal selfish hopes are that post-patch fleet battles provide me with solid impetus to level up my game and properly git gud with my SNACs.

(08-04-2023, 04:09 PM)BobMacaroni Wrote: it would be cool to see more systems go through what is said for Alaska, that is probably one of the coolest additions imo

Like the OP said, Alaska is a focal testing point for this pivot in system design philosophy. I don't know specifics, being a mod rather than dev, but I assume that other systems will have a toned-down version of the Alaska-style changes, so that the implementation of envirohazards can be gauged in degrees in terms of its impact on gameplay. If it turns out to be something people actually like, that makes the mod more enriching rather than enraging or—gods forbid—boring, I imagine we'll see the dev team extend those features to more and more systems.

(08-04-2023, 05:00 PM)Couden Wrote: It might be a nice idea with modules, if every single class had it.

On this note, one thing I'm curious about is if there are animations and proper models for when ships have had their modules blasted off, as it was with snubs in vanilla. I understand that snub components were done away with for a number of reasons—to my knowledge, the primary one being that the dev team lacked the time/capability back in the day to add the same functionality to Disco-original ships; the secondary one being balance concerns; and possibly something to do with server load?—but I'd imagine the first two arguments (at least!) likely no longer apply, at least in regards to capital ships.