Discovery Gaming Community
to the Admins - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Role-Playing (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Unofficial Factions and Groups (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+--- Thread: to the Admins (/showthread.php?tid=6196)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

to the Admins - Equinox - 02-14-2008

' Wrote:Not Corsair, sorry but I heard thousands of their excuse they ban mercs because they starve - you starve and you can build battleships? are your elders all became suddenly very senile or something?)

The Corsair faction just like the Outcasts are a major house in them selfs so don't give me any rubbish about the Corsairs shouldn't have battleships. The Corsairs are renowned for there ship building and that is (fact) its written allover the place ingame, its also stated that the Corsairs are the largest pirate organization in Sirius.

Not to mention the fact that we have all the materials we need to build ships in our home system (again taken from the game), and the fact we got the Osiris plans from the Order and started to build them ourselfs. We don't have allot of farmable land true, they build there city's in the mountings to preserve what they have but they get the rest from the Zoners and pirating which is not a problem with the amount of money they make.

They are VERY rich of the artifact trade and on top of that they make money pirating.

Im sorry but your just wrong on this one, do some research on the Corsairs before you say we shouldn't be building/flying them.

The brotherhood have 2 battleships, you want to know how often they get out of dock? 1% of the time they do and thats the same with our cruiser.

Oh and we ban Mercs because they cant be trusted nothing to do with us starving, you should really get the facts strait before posting stuff like that, Mercs where banned when TBH and other Corsairs had contracts on there head and have not been welcomed since as they would turn around and kill you for the sake of a few credits and cant be trusted.

to the Admins - Jwnantze - 02-14-2008

sorry chopper, didnt mean to direct that at you, you just were the closest target:PIll send you a pm shortly BTW.

As for attacking Alpha, yes it is RP for you to be facing hords of caps, but there is a difference between RP and playability. That is unplayable. I think at the time we were fed up with the ammount of BHG caps that were attacking in seemingly endless waves, and we were taking it out on everyone else that attacked.... I dont really agree with Eppy's capwhore tactics.....

to the Admins - Irioth - 02-14-2008

It seems that this topic has gotten off course. If y'all want to discuss which factions deserve battleships, take it to another thread. This one was made to discuss ways to curb the horde of capships that is plaguing the server, not...

Quote:Oh and we ban Mercs because they cant be trusted nothing to do with us starving, you should really get the facts strait before posting stuff like that, Mercs where banned when TBH and other Corsairs had contracts on there head and have not been welcomed since as they would turn around and kill you for the sake of a few credits and cant be trusted.
Quote:They are mostly petty criminals and thugs. Every organisation has to have grunts. If we're going off the "generic" person then surely Outcasts would just be out of it the whole time? Drugged up on Cardamine. Please do correct me if i'm wrong but i was led to believe that, as i put before, player factions are the best of thier NPC counterparts, the elite. Therefore in a group of criminals you have to have some masterminds behind it. While the Outcasts do just use us to spread the Cardamine around Liberty, we can also get favours from them.

I don't mean to offend, but this was a lively discussion. I'd like to see it get back on course. This is definitely an issue that deserves some attention.

to the Admins - Jaden - 02-14-2008

I agree that the over use of cap ships is really annoying. Not to flame anyone, but when the UOG went on a little raid of Gamma the other day we had two gunboats, two light fighters, and two VHF (maybe more, I wasnt exactly counting), and when we arrived we faced about equal forces. In the next three minutes, three battleships, a couple cruisers and some more ships came and beat us up. The Benitez even pulled out of the fight because the all of these independant corsairs wouldn't stop firing on us after the Benitez had commanded it. (I realize the Benitez have no command over other corsairs, but needless to say there were pissed that a fair fight was no where in sight.) They apologized that we had to be so mercilessly destroyed, and we agreed to stage our next fight away from Crete. The main point here is, way too many independent cap ships are roaming about. Where would a freelancer get the money for one of those things anyways?!
The UOG is doing all we can to help the problem atm, we have all the new recruits in Werewolfs (hatefully nicknamed the flying chicken, it handles like a BS I swear) just to stay as in RP and as fair to the rest of Sirius as we can.
I really hope something can be done about the cap ships without clans, maybe make them only purchasable on through the forums, and they are given the same time name changes are made?

to the Admins - badkarmasix - 02-14-2008

This has already be stated elsewhere and it is 100% true - we ARE elitist("We are a RP server...") and we DO restrict which ships a given player may fly (eg. IDs). I challenge anyone to prove otherwise. Of course, "elitist" isn't the exact word I would use. "Selective" might be a better choice. This whole "cap whoring" fracas is starting to get a little old, though.

Most seem to agree that cap whoring is an issue that needs attention. Also, it has been elsewhere suggested that the issue isn't so much one of cap-whoring but one of PvP-whoring. I couldn't agree more. The true, blue RPers on this server all seem to have solid RP behind their ownership of said capships and are not guilty of cap-whoring. The concensus is that it is the non-RP players on DiscoveryRP that are causing much of the problem.

Well, to put it bluntly - bugger them. If they only want to PvP - capship or otherwise - then they can go to a PvP server. They have that choice. But they certainly don't need to be here.

I'm all for Admin-approved capships. As I suggested in another topic, no independent player can justify RP-wise owning/operating a capship. In my opinion, it's just way too OORP. If you aren't in a faction, you don't get a capship. Elitist? Restricting a player's freedom? Of course it is, from a certain point of view. But the whole point is to encourage players to RP. Capships(battleships in particular) are a RP device. All ships are, at bottom, a RP device. Of course, the bigger a ship, the bigger its RP role. Obviously. Having to join a faction is, in my view, having to RP. But joining a faction should not immediately entitle a player to the ownership of a capship. The reality of the RP surrounding Freelancer is that not all factions can justify owning a capship, and most of the die-hard RPers here have come to terms with that fact.

So, how do we encourage more RP and less cap-whoring? Well, we "suggest" to our capship/PvP-whores that they might try a dedicated PvP server. By "suggest," I mean: polite conversation, sanctioning, outright banning from the RP server. Also, it should be stated in the rules that while capships are flyable in DiscoveryRP, their ownership is limited due to the RP nature of the server. I also agree with the ideas Carlos suggested.

Hopefully, we can come up with a solution without too much Admin assistance/intervention. It'd be nice to simply discourage cap-whoring. Regrettably, however, I can see cap ships getting severly nerfed with the next release of the mod.

Cheers,
Idaho

to the Admins - globalplayer-svk - 02-14-2008

or we must show the independents,that big ships are not all. good bomber pilot destroy alone a gunboat,good gunboat pilot destroy cruiser or battlecruiser. etc maybe when they see that cruiser is not so good as tehy think,they switch to smaller ship

to the Admins - mwerte - 02-14-2008

I say that the LSF/SA/LPI should stand aside while a RoS bomber squad comes and demolishes all the non-faction capships (or capship only groups) in NY. We'll leave after they're gone...for a few hours...:angry2:

See here for proof of our skills. Unfortunatly I forgot to turn FRAPS on for us killing the Lib Carrier. There were only 3 of us. :P

to the Admins - mjolnir - 02-14-2008

' Wrote:or we must show the independents,that big ships are not all. good bomber pilot destroy alone a gunboat,good gunboat pilot destroy cruiser or battlecruiser. etc maybe when they see that cruiser is not so good as tehy think,they switch to smaller ship

actually some do...

I remember one guy that just bought a Corsair Cruiser (the new one) took it to Stuttgart and got owned by two RM bombers without us losing any bats/bots.

He started to write to me in private chat: "I wasted all my money on this" "It's useless" .... :lol:

to the Admins - Kuraine - 02-14-2008

Quote:In RP that is called a suicide mission. Are you going to tell me that you had to attack Manhatan?
And are you going to tell me that you were provoked so you had to use capital ships?

Well let's give a quick run-down of the amount of capital ships (not including the countless fighters, bombers and gunboats we whacked during the couple of hours we spent in NY) we actually got forced to destroy yesterday:

LSF Goliath (always hard to take down XD) - Liberty Assault Carrier
Some liberty Battlecruiser that I forget the name of that we destroyed alongside Goliath, but it wasn't faction tagged/ID'ed.

//OxidFox\\ - Liberty Battlecruiser (navy tagged, not sure on ID)
USS Midway - Liberty Cruiser (navy tagged, navy ID)
USS Titan - Liberty Battlecruiser (navy tagged, navy ID)
[BHL]Sam - Bounty Hunter Battleship (navy tagged/BH ID, already been killed by Goliath before engaging us)
Lane Security 002 - BH Battlecruiser
Lane Security 003 - BH Battlecruiser (he wasn't actually destroyed, but fled quite badly damaged)

Bretonian battleship with a Bounty Hunter ID/tag (again, forget the name, but it had DW* in it, so i'm assuming it's Dark Wing or something like that)
Independent Liberty Cruiser whose name escapes me at this time.

With 1 battleship, 2 outcast destroyers and 1 slipstream fighter, I don't think we did too badly. All in all, we got off rather lightly though, there are usually more capital ships trying to engage us than this over the course of an attack.

Kudos to LSF, as the only capital ship that entered the fray was Goliath, and some additional Kudos to LSF Liquid, whom we just couldn't bloody nail:PPenalty points to those certain USS and those others who re-engaged me and AnomalY right after dying, and after Edge had left and it was just us two (although Hoodlum is taking names, so all sorted hopefully).

Additionally, i'm thinking of trading my Werewolf in for a bomber. I rather like bombers, i'm finding;)

to the Admins - Panzer - 02-14-2008

Admin-issued battleship licences. - imo easiest to execute and the application flood would only occur on the very beginning. It would be painful, but possibly would end the uber-independent problem for good.

And as per Yngen's credit card idea - had the same thought.

Only that... how to force ppl to have these onboard? More admin snooping and violation reports?