Discovery Gaming Community
Smugglers and Mooring Rings - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Smugglers and Mooring Rings (/showthread.php?tid=12058)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Smugglers and Mooring Rings - JakeSG - 10-01-2008

Appologies, my last post sounded rather like a flame, admittedly I'm not in the best mood in the early mornings.

Adamantine worded it pretty well, but apart from that we simply don't have the people to patrol every tradelane. Having patrols of 5 fighters is all well and good, when you have that many fighters. Sure, the LN is big, but with timezones there are huge dead shifts. All the powersmugglers head to Manhattan, and since they're the ones we're concerned about, not to mention it's the closest thing to a chokepoint in NY, that's where single members of the LN prefer to operate until they receive backup.

Smugglers and Mooring Rings - gemini - 10-01-2008

I wonder offhand if FLhook could be loaded with some commands that players could give to nearby NPCs.
The ships they influence and what commands they can give would be specified by reputation and ranking.

This way policemen could bring down all of New York's LPI and LN NPCs on a guy.. and it solves the dock ring problem.

Say this is the scenario;

"Halt smuggler!"
"You caant caatch mee..."
/LPI+LN attack smuggler.joe
*NPCS and Newark open fire, docking ring becomes hostile*
"OK OK! Ill pay the fine!!"
/LPI+LN clrattack smugler.joe
"here you go.."
*dumps cargo pays fine*
the end.

That would be a cool solution.

No earthly clue how possible it is.

Smugglers and Mooring Rings - Dantrithor - 10-01-2008

That should rely to reputation, and i'd dare to say you should require guard max rep with the faction to "control" the npc to avoid abuse.

BUt as i think that's impossible.. oh well.

Smugglers and Mooring Rings - AdamantineFist - 10-01-2008

' Wrote:That should rely to reputation, and i'd dare to say you should require guard max rep with the faction to "control" the npc to avoid abuse.

BUt as i think that's impossible.. oh well.
The control could be limited to ordering NPCs to scan the target. That alone would be enough, I think.

Smugglers and Mooring Rings - jpo - 10-01-2008

' Wrote:And you are just upset you can't cruise up to innocents and shoot them down.

Cruising and docking to mooring rings after being busted is one of the worst OORP's there is. Think of it like this, in a real life scenario.

You are in a ship carrying a tonne or two of cocaine. You are busted entering a nations waters. You ignore all warnings, turn on your engines and gun it straight for docks. When you land, there are no authorities waiting to intercept you. Hardly a likely scenario, is it?

What port town do you know that has a 12k diameter with 220 million people to get lost in? I think its pretty realistic.

Smugglers and Mooring Rings - AdamantineFist - 10-01-2008

' Wrote:What port town do you know that has a 12k diameter with 220 million people to get lost in? I think its pretty realistic.
If it weren't for the fact that the port town had only one tiny harbour with officials who can be quickly handed a description of your vessel and likely many ships of its own to intercept yours, then it would be realistic.

Smugglers and Mooring Rings - max_was_ere@hotmail.com - 10-01-2008

Most of this stuff is valid but just think about all the smugglers who are making the fuss, you are arguing with this Idea as it would make all you OORP smugglers job harder or have no job at all. Some one said that lawfuls only say "HALT" well thats because most people don't have a small name and would spend a minute typing your dam name meaning you would have already docked resupplied and flied away. I personally know from "Hunting" smugglers that it causes a HUGE argument like "Whats a LN/LPI/LSF doing in the asteroid field near an illegal jump hole huh Dude" and other stuff like that. The problem is that imagine all the random level 5 who would abuse it and continually shoot it. O and imagine the extra coding that it would take to do all the /commands

Smugglers and Mooring Rings - Lupusy - 10-01-2008

what we need are police tractor beams powered by a localised planet power generator. police craft can tractor lock anybody within a few klicks of a docking station and demand to inspect their cargo etc.

of course if the victim shoots back the police should be wise and release the lock.

how is that?

Smugglers and Mooring Rings - jpo - 10-01-2008

' Wrote:If it weren't for the fact that the port town had only one tiny harbour with officials who can be quickly handed a description of your vessel and likely many ships of its own to intercept yours, then it would be realistic.
not even close. that would be the same (or very similar) to the united states having a single point of entry. we have many points of entry and not even close to every person gets scanned. theres absolutely no way that every vessel would be scanned with a single point of entry. The reason I said I think its pretty realistic as it stands now is because most smugglers dont get caught IRL. If they did the price of contraband would be astronomical.

Smugglers and Mooring Rings - JakeSG - 10-01-2008

Bear in mind though, that there is only one way into the planet. The docking ring. You could try and fly through the atmosphere, killing a few million people if you crash, but your ship would be destroyed.

Think of it like an airport, when your plane lands your luggage is scan, drug dogs are set upon you, security guards are everywhere and there is no way you can get through until you've passed customs.