Discovery Gaming Community
Roleplay IDs: Community Discussion - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Roleplay IDs: Community Discussion (/showthread.php?tid=127704)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: Roleplay IDs: Community Discussion - Binski - 03-28-2015

(03-28-2015, 12:16 AM)Highland Laddie Wrote: Privateer isn't supposed to be something generic, but should at the least be House/faction specific and go after specific targets (as would be specified by their Letter of Marque), otherwise, there's nothing functionally different between a privateer, a generic pirate, and a hired freelancer.

Indeed but my idea is more of a generic that can then form groups independently, offer privateer 'services' and let factions serve their own letters of marque, ultimately allowing the community to determine who will sanction privateering on their own. I would prefer that, as opposed to a strictly house backed privateer like the Bretonia Privateer. If a house then wants to go ahead and unofficially get its intelligence forces to hire independent privateers, its up to them as to how they want that to materialize. But you're right that it's addition would result in little functional difference to the generic pirate or unlawful freelancer, and would be more so for RP allowances. They are supposed to be RP ID's after all, with 'no additional gameplay allowances', and the obvious 'redundancy' of the ID's has already been heavily considered it seems. I would love to see the remaining houses (who may have reason to like Liberty and Rheinland) craft their own letters of marque and let independent players register for them in the same way freelancers do for blanket bounties now. Then even entities like IMG/GMG and other independent player factions (Zoners) can also issue letters of marque to create their own privateer forces from available independent generics. The main difference would remain that this would be for acts of piracy against enemies of the hiring party, and not straight up bounty hunting as with Freelancers.

RE: Roleplay IDs: Community Discussion - Tsuzumi Mori - 03-28-2015

(03-28-2015, 01:28 AM)Chance Wrote: Correct, but having a Letter of Marque would make it so that you could change allegiances. As to the lolwuts, it is not going to matter what you do, they are not RPing in the first place.

*Nods.* Good point on this one. Letter of Marque would solve a lot of things in my opinion, keeping rephacks in its place.

However, <House> Privateer idea isn't bad as well. It could bring new kind of activity and possibility of the roleplay, as e.g. Libertonian Privateers had a possibility to harass Kusari, the technical enemy due to instalment of the pro-Gallic government.

There might be also possibility of three, not neccesaily house-oriented privateers. I'd call them Sigma Privateers, Omega Privateers and Tau Privateers.

Tau Privateers would openly harass the Kusari and Gallia (ZOI: Taus, Kusari, Gallic Borderworlds), the Omega Privateers would harass all but Rheinland targets (ZOI: Omegas, Bretonia). The Sigma Privateers would in contrary harass Rheinland but be rather unfriendly with Kusari as well (ZOI: Sigmas, Rheinland, some Omicrons).

RE: Roleplay IDs: Community Discussion - Alestone - 03-29-2015

(03-28-2015, 04:40 PM)Tsuzumi Mori Wrote: There might be also possibility of three, not neccesaily house-oriented privateers. I'd call them Sigma Privateers, Omega Privateers and Tau Privateers.

Tau Privateers would openly harass the Kusari and Gallia (ZOI: Taus, Kusari, Gallic Borderworlds), the Omega Privateers would harass all but Rheinland targets (ZOI: Omegas, Bretonia). The Sigma Privateers would in contrary harass Rheinland but be rather unfriendly with Kusari as well (ZOI: Sigmas, Rheinland, some Omicrons).

I would have to disagree on this one. Privateers are, historically, a military alternative for a government where they do not, either for finances or because of location, have a strong presence. In effect, you are coopting a pirate or mercenary into service by issuing a Letter of Marque. They become legitimate as commerce raiders for your State at no cost to you.

The emphasis of all of that, though, is the fact that the Privateer is being "licensed" through some government entity. I am not suggesting that it be restricted to governments, but a Privateer for a geographical region without a patron (in this case, some official faction) is just a pirate.

RE: Roleplay IDs: Community Discussion - Corile - 03-29-2015

Quote:However, <House> Privateer idea isn't bad as well. It could bring new kind of activity and possibility of the roleplay, as e.g. Libertonian Privateers had a possibility to harass Kusari, the technical enemy due to instalment of the pro-Gallic government.
We already have that.
It's called house corporations.

And no, Liberty doesn't harass Kusari.

RE: Roleplay IDs: Community Discussion - Tsuzumi Mori - 03-29-2015

Ah yes, saw the lack of logic on this one. Yet my previous idea about <house> Privateers would be better. It would be interesting to see how Bretonian Privateers are fighting with Rheinland Privateers, despite both having peacetime.

I'd love to see on how Kusari Privateers are also harassing GMG and Liberty alike. Idea of "true" wako would be cool.

RE: Roleplay IDs: Community Discussion - Corile - 03-29-2015

Quote:It would be interesting to see how Bretonian Privateers are fighting with Rheinland Privateers, despite both having peacetime.
face->desk

Bretonia and Rheinland aren't even at war and there is no interest whatsoever in either harming the other one.

Also, corporations pirating the enemy is perfectly logical.

RE: Roleplay IDs: Community Discussion - WesternPeregrine - 03-29-2015

(03-29-2015, 03:35 PM)Tsuzumi Mori Wrote: I'd love to see on how Kusari Privateers are also harassing GMG and Liberty alike. Idea of "true" wako would be cool.

Sigma wide Hogosha, for example? Farmers inside Kusari?

No need to add more people pissed at Libertonians inside Liberty proper.

RE: Roleplay IDs: Community Discussion - Highland Laddie - 03-29-2015

Quote:...but a Privateer for a geographical region without a patron (in this case, some official faction) is just a pirate.

That was my original point, yes. The purpose of the Letter of Marque is to specifically define how the Privateer can legally operate and be sanctioned by the patron government. If he did attacked ships outside of what the LoM stated...he was engaging in unsanctioned piracy, would lose his LoM, and would be hunted down like a common criminal even by his original patron.

A generic, sponsor-less Privateer would just be the same as a generic pirate if there is not some already-established diplomacy/rephack, which accounts for the LoM. If said privateer just wants to work for whoever will pay him the money....then he's essentially just a Freelancer/Mercenary, so calling him a Privateer would seem a misnomer.

RE: Roleplay IDs: Community Discussion - Binski - 03-29-2015

(03-29-2015, 06:53 PM)Highland Laddie Wrote:
Quote:...but a Privateer for a geographical region without a patron (in this case, some official faction) is just a pirate.

That was my original point, yes. The purpose of the Letter of Marque is to specifically define how the Privateer can legally operate and be sanctioned by the patron government. If he did attacked ships outside of what the LoM stated...he was engaging in unsanctioned piracy, would lose his LoM, and would be hunted down like a common criminal even by his original patron.

A generic, sponsor-less Privateer would just be the same as a generic pirate if there is not some already-established diplomacy/rephack, which accounts for the LoM. If said privateer just wants to work for whoever will pay him the money....then he's essentially just a Freelancer/Mercenary, so calling him a Privateer would seem a misnomer.

I totally agree, but in my opinion the letters of marque can be something that is independently crafted by individuals/factions/houses who have decided they want to hire privateers, and that might be in addition to, or in the place of, bounty hunting. The point is to let the players and said groups determine their offers for LoM's, and let it all work out inrp. Yes otherwise until a privateer finds such a gig, he's just a pirate, meaning it wouldn't take away from that ability. The objective of most privateers would be to seek that relationship, but if its not possible due to oorp variables like if server population is low, they could still be a pirate. Who they are attacking, and where determines if it can be claimed as within a LoM should they find someone issuing them. I think this would be better than only limiting people to house backed privateers and only have 5 types of privateer you could be, all the same but with different house ZOI's. As example I think if the Liberty government wanted to take advantage of privateers, they're aware they will be assembling a force made up of independents. They craft their own LoM inrp and let independents request them. The can set the standards for their own privateers. They'd simply accept that all privateers have the same ID, the same capabilities, and restraints. Privateers are essentially independent pirates that get permission to pirate for their sponsor. That's exactly how it would unfold. And again, they would not be mercs/freelancers. Like a pirate, they are restricted to piracy, which requires a demand for cargo/credits. They are not being sent out to kill, but to inflict 'economic' damage first and foremost. The downing of a ship comes only if necessary, and tbh LoM issuers would certainly be able to set their own standards for demands and destruction of vessels.

Personally I am for keeping any change as simple as possible, and using the Pirate ID as a template to create one additional RP option for generic unlawful pirate seems as simple as it gets. Just duplicate it, swap the name and description, and see what happens!

RE: Roleplay IDs: Community Discussion - Highland Laddie - 03-30-2015

The major issue with that is....it becomes problematic to know inRP which privateers have a correct Letter of Marque and which do not. As law enforcement or military, that's yet another thing to keep track of and need someone checking on to ensure that pirates are following their LoMs, etc, when it is truthfully way simpler to have a House-specific privateer ID.