Discovery Gaming Community
Lock Capital Ships to Zone of Influence on Independent IDs - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Lock Capital Ships to Zone of Influence on Independent IDs (/showthread.php?tid=158361)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

RE: Lock Capital Ships to Zone of Influence on Independent IDs - Lythrilux - 02-22-2018

It's barely an inRP problem. Lolwuts are bringing caps to places they shouldn't with really bad justifications, on top of the already existing reasons as to why it doesn't make sense for it to be there.

RE: Lock Capital Ships to Zone of Influence on Independent IDs - Enkidu - 02-22-2018

(02-22-2018, 07:47 PM)Lythrilux Wrote: This is starting to drive me insane. People who make this point are admitting it's a problem; but why should it be solved with shooting instead of an implemented fix?

Because activity = Server alive

No activity = server dead, more people reported, less of a community.

Although I'd borderline consider it if it'd stop Lyth from forumposting when bored.

RE: Lock Capital Ships to Zone of Influence on Independent IDs - Lythrilux - 02-22-2018

(02-22-2018, 07:56 PM)Tænì Wrote: Because activity = Server alive

But these people are inferior to activity generation as compared to local ships. If we're going to be so flippant about it, why not just throw RP out the window completely, as we only care about activity.

RE: Lock Capital Ships to Zone of Influence on Independent IDs - Elune - 02-22-2018

Total disagreement about any ship locking and further threads like this incoming.Marduk illegal ,neph legal real good balance.Still doesn't mean u should resetrict any more battleships and ruin more fun to people who like battleships. If someone is abusing his ship and breaking forum rules or any kind of rules you can report him ,everyone can report him.I wont argue about this just want to let you guys know I will always support oposite of "lock capital ships" or "lock ID" or any kind of unnecessery restrictions that will restrict more fun and with it activicy of players . I saw admins react to reports often more then once ,there is no need to restrict anyone of anything.If ship is abused and rules are broken and people harrased ,one doing that will probably find proper concequnce..Unlocking all battleships and making them more expencive and sanction abusers by taking their shields eventually entire ship if they dont learn from one report would be the best thing.This kind of topics can only bring unnecessery drama and ruin soeones fun if some of this kind of threads ever pass.I hope not.

I outlined in the OP that ships without a ZoI wouldn't be affected. That includes the Neph. The Irra is already locked to a ZoI.

RE: Lock Capital Ships to Zone of Influence on Independent IDs - Ash - 02-22-2018

(02-22-2018, 08:00 PM)Lythrilux Wrote:
(02-22-2018, 07:56 PM)Tænì Wrote: Because activity = Server alive

But these people are inferior to activity generation as compared to local ships. If we're going to be so flippant about it, why not just throw RP out the window completely, as we only care about activity.

RP and Activity have always been a balancing act. This kind of proposal would have flown if we were looking at a recurrant near capacity player count which could take the hit from some extra sanctions. Discovery is a sandbox built to house over 110 players. Many of the servers current rules were designed to manage a population of that size and originate from a time where the steady, healthy player count could take the hit of additional restrictions. I don't need to tell you how far we've come since we could hit that number at all let alone daily. Activity is spread thin and what you're talking about only affects players active in what is essentially one sixth of the mod's universe. Now I sympathise with your cause, i really do. People who come here to RP should integrate as much as they expect to be accommodated for for sure. Just be glad that at least these players are attempting some form of RP.

I'd say the eye watering cost of the gear alone is it's own punishment once these guys, one by one, get kicked out of the Omicrons RP sphere by more conformist players. When the stakes are that high, you're only going to turn away more players who will blame their waste of time and credits on the admins and community by making it a sanctionable offence.

It's a loophole, it's a nuisance, but it's a tolerable one.

RE: Lock Capital Ships to Zone of Influence on Independent IDs - -Rax- - 02-22-2018

I completely agree with wether Lyth says in this thread.

Tolerable for some, certainly not for all. We can hit 100 players on good days. These ships being locked to the regions they're supposed to be in won't rapidly reduce the player count. Anyone who thinks so is scaremongering tbh.

RE: Lock Capital Ships to Zone of Influence on Independent IDs - Thyrzul - 02-22-2018

(02-22-2018, 05:44 PM)Nodoka Hanamura Wrote: Furthermore, have you considered that the reason Council BSes are everywhere but Gallia is because NO ONE PLAYS IN GALLIA?

I wish you'd do your research a bit more thoroughly about a matter you plan to speak of, that'd make you look a bit more educated. Gallia is not dead, activity is low for sure, but not zero. Corporate factions are making a return, which then should attract more pirate activity in the near future. I'm not saying activity is great there, but I'm quite certain Council ships in Delta sure as hell won't help.

This entire thread is a whole sh!tfest and it saddens me to see how some of you can't realize more and more freedoms will only breed mary sues and so much unique snowflakes that the whole mess ends up boring and bland.

Zones of Influence exist for a reason, they mean your faction's might lasts that far and no further, that your major supply lines end up there and stretch no further, that you likely cannot sustain forces past that border, can't find repair materials matching your ship past that line, etc, and this is already enforced in things like the self-defense restriction.

If we are all going to take a huge dump of excrement over the concept of ZoIs, it'll remove a major feature from the game been making it better until now, and will ruin it even further just so some people can expand their own freedom without SRPs, without having to lift a finger. Plus we'll end up with a dozen more unused IDs.

RE: Lock Capital Ships to Zone of Influence on Independent IDs - Antonio - 02-22-2018

Lyth's thread would be 100% correct if player ships were inRP assets, but they're not. If they were, and you only had so much which is defined by your faction's lore + if there was a full list of all capital ships per faction as well as people in charge of them, there would be absolutely no reason to leave the safe space (ZoI, but can also be combined adjacent ZoIs of two factions controlling all the space - see Bretonia and Liberty before the Cortez attack) in a capital ship, ever. There would be no defecting SRP caps left and right, nor would they randomly fly from Lyonnais to Delta. Since that's not the case and they're not lore "assets", all these restrictions you're suggesting go down the drain. Is it dumb? Yes, undoubtedly, but restricting it now wouldn't help much, if at all.

It's funny how (some) people against it are using the "loss of activity" as an excuse, while there are much bigger problems in regards to player interaction, most notably very poor connections between systems at the moment.

Edit: Also people who defend non lore assets (player owned ships) with non lore equipment (jump drives and cloaks) to make a lore explanation. What?