Discovery Gaming Community
Admin Notice: Anti-F1 changes - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: News and Announcements (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Admin Notice: Anti-F1 changes (/showthread.php?tid=23848)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Admin Notice: Anti-F1 changes - Eppy - 07-25-2009

It's a great idea, Cannon, and it's great that you've reduced the log time - but I have a fairly major issue.

I won't be specific, as that would compromise some classified RP materials, but I have a certain ship which, by it's RP (and indeed, the RP on its infocard) does not moor itself with a station. It has a specific location in space that I tend to park it (when I'm not in the field with it). It also, on occasion, due to the nature of its RP, is parked in non-friendly territory. I'm not always going to be able to do this out of sight - and to be honest, losing the ships' B/B and RP cargo in deep space is going to be a pain in the butt. As weird as my vessel's habits might seem to some, it's much more in-RP for a ship of its class to sit in deep space and keep away from stations (and I really wished more players RPed it that way). This effect is going to cause me issues, and while I think it's a great idea, it will probably cause issues - expensive issues - for me.

So, my question is thus - can we make this so that it doesn't affect certain cargo, like the RP items (scientists, spaceship crew, oxygen, water, etc) and doesn't mess with batts/botts? As I see it, this is only here to interdict a trader's moneymaking cargo - other items are insignificant in comparison to that one item.

Admin Notice: Anti-F1 changes - Saronsen - 07-25-2009

No words can explain my distaste for the change. You already have two minutes to kill whoever stops talking to you. If they start zooming off because they F1'd, wait where you last saw them. They re-appear right on that spot when they log in. Chances are, they'll come back within five minutes.

And with my recent internet connections, this will make it VERY difficult for me, since I travel with a buddy as I trade, and I travel through crowded Omicron/Liberty space ALOT.

EDIT: To describe to you how my connection has been working, it doesnt gradually die, but it suddenly just -stops- all internet connection, and then gradually comes back. It has the same effect as F1ing.

Admin Notice: Anti-F1 changes - chovynz - 07-25-2009

I thought about only making it affect only certain ID's but I wouldn't have the foggiest what ones to apply it to since people can use any ID without being part of the player faction. This is possibly a bad suggested change to the script.

Admin Notice: Anti-F1 changes - mwerte - 07-25-2009

' Wrote:...the primary purpose of playing FL; not to be worried about breaking rules/reporting people...
On the contrary, I will begin to fear logging in for fear of the server 'ninja'ing' me. I can't argue with the server, but I can argue in my sanction thread. Provide SSs of me with red lag, me logging back in to talk to the guy, ect ect. I have no such 'right' when the server ninja's me.

While I understand the intention and am willing to watch and provide feedback through a beta phase, I have serious reservations about this, and am siding with Turkish, Zeltack, teschy, and the others for now.

Admin Notice: Anti-F1 changes - Cannon - 07-25-2009

Just to clarify a few things:
- It only happens if another player is within 5km of your ship at the moment you disconnect and the player is not a member of your group.
- It doesn't affect bats & bots.
- It doesn't affect your hull.

Admin Notice: Anti-F1 changes - Turkish - 07-25-2009

Is there anyway to mark certain ships to be excluded?

Admin Notice: Anti-F1 changes - Drake - 07-25-2009

Curious, if we're going this far to prevent this kind of rule breaking, would it be possible to make a FLhook thingy which automatically censors (either the word or the entire message) certain words? Not all swears, as some (damn, hell, bastard, etc.) are more acceptable in RP situations.

It would cut back on sanctions if it was just impossible to post such words, in system/local chat at least.

Admin Notice: Anti-F1 changes - worldstrider - 07-25-2009

' Wrote:I won't be specific, as that would compromise some classified RP materials, but I have a certain ship which, by it's RP (and indeed, the RP on its infocard) does not moor itself with a station.

As weird as my vessel's habits might seem to some, it's much more in-RP for a ship of its class to sit in deep space and keep away from stations (and I really wished more players RPed it that way).

It's pretty clear its the barge you are talking about. I mentioned concerns to Cannon and he acknowledged them.

The infocard says not to dock planets becasue it will blow the ship up when you undock and also potentially crash the server. That's the "no docking" purpose. I proposed the entire concept for the ship and made the rough model that Jinx eventually took over from Seth and finished. i do know "what it is for". it's for rp.

Not everyone's Rp for a barge will involve having a ship that is unknown to all other players and never seen--I can "pretend rp" that or use a starflea for it or any big transport. Some rp does allow it to carry cargo and dock.

One of the scenarios was mining--a player can mine, fill it up and take it to a station or friendlier system. Others were for a neutral party to accumulate loot from criminals and sell it at a better profit for them. I was on a carrier and "forward deployed" to a foreign homport to boot. We spent nine months a year at sea--but we did dock once in awhile and sometimes for as long as sisxty days at a time. Nuclear subs "hide" but they also return to port. The barge is the same. Once parked, it is not assumed and required to "never move again" as long as it stays in its rp.

Please don't define down the rp of it to "one thing only"--that defeats the whole intent. And as for the "wish others thing"--mine flew around to find issues and glitches and to look for crashes and the like--also to promote my rp for it and the ship itself so people would know what it was. After having done that, its parked in PR in a secure orbit--just like yours. Once in awhile I dock Vieques or Aercibo.

Admin Notice: Anti-F1 changes - Blodo - 07-25-2009

While I share Mwerte's fears about this, lets sum up what Cannon has said about this tool in this thread:

What it does:
- It nabs your cargo into space if you disconnect within 5k of a player that you are not grouped with.
- It also sends a green message informing players within range of your disconnect.
- It only performs the player check once: at the moment of the disconnect.
- It will attempt to pardon laggy players, albeit with a probable degree of error.
What it doesn't do:
- It doesn't touch your regens.
- It doesn't touch your hull or shield.
- It doesn't make the cargo disappear, it just drops it in space.
- It should not trigger for anyone should the entire server crash or start lagging out.

I agree that there is a noticeable error margin here. Situations related to shoddy internet, a perpetually full server from 2 to 9pm GMT time, server lagging out, real life emergencies, etc. etc. will make this a real pain for a fair load of people.

What could be done here to determine whether the tool is axing a lot of players with connection problems: log all of the operations performed by this ninja, along with the circumstances (ping of players involved, server load, player number on the server, etc.) into a text file. Then you can post a thread for complaints related to this tool and the loss of cargo, from which you can evaluate how well (or badly) this tool performs. As far as I am aware, the number of F1 reports has been quite low as of late anyways (the bulk of reports are for OORP behaviour and lack of engagement notice - something that we cannot remedy by an FLHook extension anyways), I am sure we can turn this off without really increasing the number of reports for the admins if it proves to be axing legitimate players a lot...

Admin Notice: Anti-F1 changes - worldstrider - 07-25-2009

Another side is you also will have admin requests for repairs or error checks as often or more as you would have for F1.

It looks pretty doable but its the effect on RP cargo at a critical time or on a large scale that remains my sole concern.