Discovery Gaming Community
Official faction activity - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Rules & Requests (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Rules (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+---- Forum: Faction Rules (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+---- Thread: Official faction activity (/showthread.php?tid=61466)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Official faction activity - Blodo - 06-14-2011

Count me the amount of factions right now that have more than lets say... 6 constantly active members. I think about 2 whole factions match this criterion at the moment... How is that not killing them off? Every faction on the server is constantly doing its best to attract people to join it, but unlike real life we can't press gang or shanghai people into our factions, there is no conscription here. Short of offering to pay them to join, there isn't much else one can do really. And 300 hours of constant activity? Even if it's meant to be faction wide it's going to leave especially faction leaders running for the hills because at this point it's simply too much effort for too little return.

30 hours is enough already and even that has at least 10 factions scurrying about for activity at the end of each month, with (what is the most important thing to point out) nobody to replace them if they die. A Molly faction would do a lot of good for Bretonia. Sadly, nobody is stepping up to the task nor are there indies there to form into even an unofficial group. The one thing that an official faction could do in such a case is go on a recruitment drive. However, no faction is there any more as it has been disbanded, so therefore there is nobody to conduct one. In my personal opinion this is something that counts as being detrimental to the server as a whole (so both RP and gameplay alike).

The other argument is that it is not necessarily beneficial to the NPC faction population as a whole for official factions to constantly try and press gang indies into it. It kind of kills off individual group roleplay, as people who join factions are expected to follow the faction's rules. Those who don't will cause a head ache for the leaders, the admins and their fellow faction mates alike. But if they cannot be kicked or disciplined because then the activity levels will plummet, then what? Doesn't leave much room for manoeuvring does it?

Official faction activity - Varok - 06-14-2011

' Wrote:This is meant to be a place to have fun. Not a second job.

Official faction activity - Enoch - 06-14-2011

' Wrote:Haters gotta hate, Ingenious. This community treats change of any shape or color like an apocalyptic event. You're screaming in a windstorm, it's pretty hopeless.
We're not against change, we want it. That's why we are waiting for .86.

But some of us are certainly against this kind of change. I think even 100 hours are too much. At this level, it's not about activity anymore, it's about recruiting 20 random people and putting a tag before their ship name.

Official faction activity - Ingenious - 06-14-2011

' Wrote:Count me the amount of factions right now that have more than lets say... 6 constantly active members. I think about 2 whole factions match this criterion at the moment... How is that not killing them off? Every faction on the server is constantly doing its best to attract people to join it, but unlike real life we can't press gang or shanghai people into our factions, there is no conscription here. Short of offering to pay them to join, there isn't much else one can do really. And 300 hours of constant activity? Even if it's meant to be faction wide it's going to leave especially faction leaders running for the hills because at this point it's simply too much effort for too little return.

300 hours is no longer proposed. Please read the discussion.

' Wrote:30 hours is enough already and even that has at least 10 factions scurrying about for activity at the end of each month, with (what is the most important thing to point out) nobody to replace them if they die.
Nobody's there to replace them if they die because of the 1-faction-per-ID rule and the no-unofficial-recruiting rule, not because of lack of interest.

' Wrote:A Molly faction would do a lot of good for Bretonia. Sadly, nobody is stepping up to the task nor are there indies there to form into even an unofficial group.
This is a mod balance problem, not something that will change with an hours figure.

' Wrote:The other argument is that it is not necessarily beneficial to the NPC faction population as a whole for official factions to constantly try and press gang indies into it. It kind of kills off individual group roleplay, as people who join factions are expected to follow the faction's rules. Those who don't will cause a head ache for the leaders, the admins and their fellow faction mates alike. But if they cannot be kicked or disciplined because then the activity levels will plummet, then what? Doesn't leave much room for manoeuvring does it?

A faction is not a labor gang. A faction should have enthusiastic members that join and participate willingly. If you make your faction attractive enough, people will aspire to follow the rules and be really good faction members. People will aspire to good roleplay. That is what it means to be a leader. I didn't force anyone into my faction and we are pretty active.

Official faction activity - Serpentis - 06-14-2011

To be honest.

Lower the ammount nescesarry to: 20 hours in total.

That would solve allot of issues of people getting agitated when it comes to "keeping the official faction official" I know it happens, it happened to me a couple of times.

And CHANGE is never good, especially not this change..

In general being forced to do stuff will not make the game fun.

' Wrote:To be honest.

Lower the ammount nescesarry to: 20 hours in total.

That would solve allot of issues of people getting agitated when it comes to "keeping the official faction official" I know it happens, it happened to me a couple of times.

And CHANGE is never good, especially not this change..

In general being forced to do stuff will not make the game fun.

Change is sometimes good, unless you're a member of the Taliban. And I agree that being forced to do stuff takes the fun out of the game. But which is worse: a player being forced to obey measures set in place by a faction that is barely active, or a faction being forced to maintain a modicum of activity in order to be able to install such measures?

Official faction activity - Omicron - 06-14-2011

' Wrote:But which is worse: a player being forced to obey measures set in place by a faction that is barely active, or a faction being forced to maintain a modicum of activity in order to be able to install such measures?

Quality of RP rules setted by faction is important, not their activity.

' Wrote:Quality of RP rules setted by faction is important, not their activity.
Being inactive is grossly OORP in and of itself and thus characterizes the faction's roleplay as OORP.

Official faction activity - Enoch - 06-14-2011

' Wrote:But which is worse: a player being forced to obey measures set in place by a faction that is barely active, or a faction being forced to maintain a modicum of activity in order to be able to install such measures?
If the player finds himself forced by the faction to alter his roleplay, then he his not playing his role correctly. Official factions are not restrictive, they just enforce the roleplay of the NPC faction they represent.

Official faction activity - Omicron - 06-14-2011

' Wrote:Being inactive is grossly OORP in and of itself and thus characterizes the faction's roleplay as OORP.

So if a superhyperactive boss of superhyperactive faction tells you that faction RP is killing yourself using mines. It is ok?