Discovery Gaming Community
[A51] Asylum 51 - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Role-Playing (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Unofficial Factions and Groups (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+--- Thread: [A51] Asylum 51 (/showthread.php?tid=7495)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

[A51] Asylum 51 - OsoRojo - 04-25-2008

Thanks Mal, you ruined a good thing. I thought your Fnord desired obfuscation, sheesh. Party-pooper.

Praetyre, your assuming some underlying sense to the Universe, but the human element trumps it all. We rarely make logical decisions because they are logical. More often than not, it happens due to happenstance and not true thought. Case in point; this whole thread is a farce and is ruled by emotion in large part.

[A51] Asylum 51 - Praetyre - 04-25-2008

Humans do not decide the gravitational constant. Humans do not decide that the object we call a square and the object we call a circle cannot simultaneously exist as the same object. Humans do not decide the sky is blue. Humans are a single species on a single planet. Throwing logic out the window is throwing roleplay, the laws of physics and causality itself out the window. We cannot imagine or depict an irrational situation any more than we can imagine the 10th dimension.

Your own statement is that in Discovery, logic does not exist. This is contradictory, given it states that a thing called Discovery does not have a thing called logic in it. We can make irrational decisions as intelligent beings, but unintelligent entities cannot, and this does not change the fact that, for sanity's sake, logic exists.

' Wrote:Humans do not decide the gravitational constant. Humans do not decide that the object we call a square and the object we call a circle cannot simultaneously exist as the same object. Humans do not decide the sky is blue. Throwing logic out the window is throwing roleplay, the laws of physics and causality itself out the window. We cannot imagine or depict an irrational situation any more than we can imagine the 10th dimension.

Your own statement is that in Discovery, logic does not exist. This is contradictory, given it states that a thing called Discovery does not have a thing called logic in it. We can make irrational decisions as intelligent beings, but unintelligent entities cannot, and this does not change the fact that, for sanity's sake, logic exists.

Now we are getting somewhere, however, your still placing faith in preceived constants. In addition, you fail to heed my statements. Let me clarify. In saying Discovery, I mean the human element which fuels it. This human element is illogical.

In relation to appealing to science and its supposed constants, they are changing constantly as man attempts to discover the ultimate question of why?

[A51] Asylum 51 - Praetyre - 04-25-2008

I'll use an analogy to illustrate why your science example isn't correct.

Let's say that there is a land called Exampleland, and it has a big boulder at it's centre. The people of East Exampleland think there is a big lake at it's centre. They eventually discover, through exploration, that there is a boulder. The fact science is changing is not an argument to disregard it completely.

Arguing as such is like arguing because the geographers of East Exampleland once thought that there was a lake at the centre of their country that all geography is invalid and thus Exampleland has a giant Darth Vader statue at it's centre.. Scientific theories can be proven or disproven, but the scientific method is absolute and binding, a self evident truth.

Discovery indeed has logic. The current server is a roleplay one (I was not aware it was not so at one stage, though since you believe logic does not exist you did point out this is not an issue), which is all about internal consistency. Even comic books have logic. Superman is affected by Kryptonite, Wonder Woman is a woman, Spider Man is called Peter Parker in Marvel 616, Batman doesn't have superpowers.

The argument that logic does not exist to a denizen of this reality is akin to arguing with a compass maker about points North of the north pole. Maybe there are, but as far as science as concerned, like the currently unobservable portions of the universe, it's irrelevant, and is not likely to change.

You claim I place faith in constants. Do you deny 10*5 in Base 10=50? That's a constant. Science is not a religion, any more than 2+2=4 is a religion.

[A51] Asylum 51 - Unseelie - 04-25-2008

' Wrote:Now we are getting somewhere, however, your still placing faith in preceived constants. In addition, you fail to heed my statements. Let me clarify. In saying Discovery, I mean the human element which fuels it. This human element is illogical.

In relation to appealing to science and its supposed constants, they are changing constantly as man attempts to discover the ultimate question of why?

The human element is illogical....but...that means almost nothing. With that argument, you simply argue that any discussions are pointless, which negates your point, and I would argue that the 'Human element' does have its list of rules and conventions that it follows. We tend to call such constructions 'Communities.'

[A51] Asylum 51 - Horon - 04-25-2008

Can we stop speaking in goddamn tongues and make some sense? They say they scavenged the battleships from Sigma 13. Ok..... When something is blown apart, does the person(s) it belongs to lose ownership? No. They were Rheinland Military property when they were destroyed in the GMG-Rheinland war, and they still are, no matter how much time has passed. "Stole" and "Rebuilt" doesn't factor in, I am afraid. There are numerous technical things that need considered... Power systems, computers... add that on the to fact that the Junkers have probably picked various pieces off, and the fact that entire parts of the original ship's are gone, and you do NOT have a possible way to rebuild those ships without the money, time, and most importantly, the GODDAMN 'blueprints' of how the ship was put together!

//On a side note, after all this... if they don't understand yet... They aren't going to... ever. Perhaps they are from a REAL asylum, you know....

I am out of here....

:dry:

To promote harmony within this thread, heed me. This has been an exercise in illustrating the absurd with absurdity. Specifically, this mob justice called a thread. If you do not like A51, fine, don't play with them. Otherwise, play the game and have fun. Is that not logical?:)

Oso

[A51] Asylum 51 - Othman - 04-25-2008

' Wrote:Virus, the precedent for stealing, or scavaging, Cap-ships has a long and honorable past. It has been done, so can happen again, even to Rheinland.

Heck, if they wish, I can give them the H.S. Rancor, which was a militia Rheinland BS destroyed by my Hessian cruiser and its carcass was found by my brethren. It has a whole history done to the detail.

It could be RP'd as trophy taken by these BH vermin in battle in the Omegas.
The imagination has no limits. We could write any story to acquire any ship in this way, whether the community agree or not. Do they really build the ship? No. They just land on a military base, purchase it and then spend half an hour or so to narrate a story about its building procedure. Would that happen in reality? No. The military ain't fool to let such a theft. Similar case of HF using Liberty Gunboats, which I do not and will not agree with never ever. Do we have a tool at all, that would allow rebuilding ships from battle waste hulks and such? Things could be very different from as it is now if we had such a utility but we don't.

[A51] Asylum 51 - Unseelie - 04-25-2008

' Wrote:To promote harmony within this thread, heed me. This has been an exercise in illustrating the absurd with absurdity. Specifically, this mob justice called a thread. If you do not like A51, fine, don't play with them. Otherwise, play the game and have fun. Is that not logical?:)

Oso
Quite. Right until I'm floating around, doing my thing, and am interrupted by a RH BS, or a Nomad, or whatever else seeks to come my way. Just by both being on the server, we are playing together. Can't just not play with them, since they keep showing up and playing with us. The server isn't a bunch of separate rooms, its a house, and we have to work out our problems, ignoring one another solves nothing, and often makes things worse. Or were you suggesting myself and DBoy and Virus and Soveriegn should leave the server?