Discovery Gaming Community
Is Sirius too big? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Is Sirius too big? (/showthread.php?tid=76084)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Is Sirius too big? - Jeremy Hunter - 03-07-2012

' Wrote:NO! Don't kill keepers/SCRA/wilde/order!
/sarcasm

I seriously rofl'd that this. Seriously.

Let's break it down.

Keepers: Player Faction of the main enemy in Vanilla. They are the Nomads. So, they are both vanilla and non-vanilla.

SCRA: the Coaliton was featured in the opening and mentioned in a few Hispanic Infocards in vanilla. This one is the least Vanilla, but still has roots in Vanilla.

Wilde: Every time you were attacked by the RM, it was infected to infected-manipulated Rheinlanders. The Das Wilde is the remnants of the Infected Rheinland Fleet that escaped the purges by THE ORDER.

The Order: Not vanilla? You smoking? Who blew up the Donau? Who stationed Kress on Cali? Who got Hakkera to help you get the Proteus Tome? Who uncloaked the save your ass from the battleship Thor in Frankfurt? Who helped you infiltrate Omicron 92? Hell, who fought with you at Toledo, and then helped to mount an attack on Omicron Major and the Dyson Sphere?

The Order is the most vanilla faction in this group.

Play SP again before you make such a mistake again please.

Is Sirius too big? - Swallow - 03-07-2012

but wait - I found out the solution!
Just close your eyes on whole this crap and play in such imperfect world. Small number of people to interact with? Try doing so with everyone you meet.
Lots of systems? Lets not use them... Small amount of free civ stuff, OPs, UPs - don't care.
Player based closed factions? - try to apply, either deal with it.
But in general, we all can stop whine, and just get in game and have some piece of joy, don't we?
I just come to this thought and fully satisfied with it, so, excuse me, but I am going to play for a good hour or two.

Is Sirius too big? - Croft - 03-07-2012

Yeah Sirius is too big, there needs to be less systems and more bottlenecks, make it so travel from one end of the galaxy to the other requires you to go through house systems, funnel people into populated zones or bottlenecks etc. Remove all the guard systems and replace them with bases, give smugglers and traders two route options, fast, dangerous and profitable or slow, easy and less profitable.
Shrinking Gallia is a must but make a third way in that's contested by the Royals and the Council (perhaps make it easier to enter Gallia in general? not sure on this but finding the way through those minefields always puts me off.)

I'd have to disagree with the removal of freelancer/pirate ID's they allow for variety which is never a bad thing. Discovery needs, from my point of view, is direction and storyline flexability, give offical factions the ability to influence changes in the game, even just slight changes would be great.

Right now we're simply thrown a storyline and told "thats what your faction is doing, go do it" without a say in the matter. I don't mean that each faction has total control over its role but can give some input in to what direction their role takes.

For example, say the Corsairs have been active (time and maybe kills?) in Cambridge more so than the BPA or BAF in a month or two.
First it would be stronger NPC ships
Next more Corsair NPC patrols
Trade prices may rise (more piracy targets)
Reduced BPA and BAF NPC's
A small cap appears near the O5 jumphole (cruiser)
Which finally becomes a dockable battleship or small base
A rough idea but you get the picture.

However only offical factions could cause the changes giving players a reason to join them and hopefully boosting activity. It'd probably be a pain in the backside to do something like this but its a good way of simulating a changing galaxy.

Is Sirius too big? - Oorn - 03-07-2012

' Wrote:but wait - I found out the solution!
Just close your eyes on whole this crap and play in such imperfect world. Small number of people to interact with? Try doing so with everyone you meet.
Lots of systems? Lets not use them... Small amount of free civ stuff, OPs, UPs - don't care.
Player based closed factions? - try to apply, either deal with it.
But in general, we all can stop whine, and just get in game and have some piece of joy, don't we?
I just come to this thought and fully satisfied with it, so, excuse me, but I am going to play for a good hour or two.
Why bother posting then?

Oh and noone will try to solve/see problems if everyone does what you say.

' Wrote:I seriously rofl'd that this. Seriously.

Let's break it down.

blah blah blah
I meant systems and bases, not factions. Anyway this wall of text was just lovely.

Is Sirius too big? - Vredes - 03-18-2012

+1 to all replies that supported Lucky Luke in this one. Things need to change, starting from the "hundrets" of star systems(including half of Gallia) to the 10000...... useless official and unofficial factions.

Is Sirius too big? - Daedric - 03-18-2012

Yes, there are more systems than there should be. The development team is addressing this. As for factions? You try to force people into a faction and you'll drive them away from the server. The only issue I see is that there are non vanilla factions that perfectly fit the role of some vanilla factions, but choose not to because they don't want to adhere to tech restrictions, ZoI restrictions, etc etc etc.

Is Sirius too big? - Pancakes - 03-18-2012

Make 1 pirate faction for each house, each house the size of 4 systems, keep the 2 general pirates (OCs and Corsairs) for the border worlds/edge worlds only. Done.

Is Sirius too big? - nemi89 - 03-18-2012

' Wrote:Make 1 pirate faction for each house, each house the size of 4 systems, keep the 2 general pirates (OCs and Corsairs) for the border worlds/edge worlds only. Done.

What he said:D

Is Sirius too big? - Tachyon - 03-18-2012

Lack of variety would be the result.

Is Sirius too big? - Lusitano - 03-18-2012

I don't think that Sirius is too big! I already been on mods that had more systems and some of those systems were simply HUGE.

The problem is not is too big and some systems are empty, the problem is taht there are systems that have too many players. For example, everytime i pass in from on Manhattan there is always some players doing nothing, and sometimes really a lot of players doing nothing! Alpha and Gamma there is also full of players, most of the times doing nothing ... well Gamma is a bad choice because is raided several times per day.

So what i'm saying is that we can have a lot of systems but they are underutilized. My main char has on all Gallia on the 4.85 for what i see on a map, i don't have not even 1/2 of the 4.86 Gallia, so maybe here there is a point, but the rest of Sirius no! All Fine! Some systems are empty because they are too far or don't have nothing interesting? Well ... they are remote systems!!! You have to make they interesting and not the devs!