Discovery Gaming Community
Faction Activity - January - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Rules & Requests (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Rules (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+---- Forum: Faction Rules (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+---- Thread: Faction Activity - January (/showthread.php?tid=109631)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: Faction Activity - January - roadrunner - 01-02-2014

All i see is alot of BS and not a single staement from Admins aboyt why the tracker dosent work
an explanation of would be nice to get

RE: Faction Activity - January - St.Denis - 01-02-2014

I have been running a Faction (GMS|) for approx 18 months now. At no time have I ever thought of making the Faction Official.

People have often suggested that I make GMS| Official and when I asked why they have said:

You get FR5 rights.
You get a free CAP 8
You can be on the Official Faction Leader Skype Chat.
You can help mold the future of your Faction within the Story.
You can post Blanket Bounties.

My answer has always been what do I miss not having FR5 rights. As far as I am concerned - absolutely nothing.

As for getting a free CAP 8 - no big deal as I can afford plenty of them (if I wanted them).

Being on the Official Faction Leader Skype Chat - I can't miss something I have never had.

As for molding the future of the GMS Faction - I was always happy to go with it as it was and if somebody came along and made an Official GMS Faction I would have been happy for them.

Blanket Bounties - If I want to Bounty somebody or more than 1 person I can put up multiple Bounties. It just requires a bit more writing in the Forums.

That is all the positives for being Official.

Now to the negatives.

I would have had to do numerous Faction Pages for the History of the Faction, Ranking Systems, Bounty Boards, Recruitment Pages, Feedback, keep the Wiki updated etc.

I would have to make sure that I had 5 active members and that Faction's activity was kept above 30 hours/month.

Being Unofficial I don't have to worry about logging certain ships each month to keep up the hours. If I don't want to log those ships for a few weeks then I don't. I don't have to chase the other members of GMS| to make sure that they keep their hours up also. We are a loose group of people who log when we want and work together when we do and have achieved quite a bit, in our eyes, over this time. I do some Forum RP, at times, even though I don't have any fancy signatures or transmission bars I think I get my message over and people respond.

So all in all what have I lost, if anything, with not becoming Official?

As far as I can see I have saved myself a lot of time with which I can spend more time enjoying the game.

RE: Faction Activity - January - Felix_Wannamaker_III - 01-02-2014

Admins? Thats unusual and most welcome.

Hopefully we will see the official factions get something real to offer to players and not just restrict them, aside from those few factions for whom the skypechat is the only way they can make serious money (miners)

Now Admins explain the missing inflight time from several ships as mentioned.

Explain why you ignore that.

Explain why you dont adress us on how you will look into it
Explain what you will do in the future to ensure that it is repaired

RE: Faction Activity - January - Haste - 01-02-2014

It's not being ignored. It's just very likely that the admin who replied doesn't know why the activity tracker has issues and doesn't know how to fix them either.

RE: Faction Activity - January - Sabru - 01-02-2014

i would think that the activity tracker would be more dev side of the house. but thats what seems logical to me.

then the admin should have said
" we will have a look at it all keep calm"
and for the time beeing closed this tread so that non vital info can be lost

RE: Faction Activity - January - Jack_Henderson - 01-02-2014

Even if something with the tracker is not working 100 % correctly... it cannot be ignored that there is a problem with official factions, still. I would say: stop focussing on the tracker hours, but on the general issue.

with the nature of the posts here i humble recuest this to be moved to General caht since it seem to be a more apporicete place for it with the posts here

RE: Faction Activity - January - Rodnas - 01-02-2014

Meh, Disco needs a fix or properly put a clear defined direction it wants to go and then actually follow up with it. The lable says it is an rp server, yet 90% of the rp you get (if you get any) is all about gaining "something" tech here diplomacy that while forgetting that the core of rp is actual storytelling not just means to gain something.
THe rp isso paper thin you can see through it- when people "inRP" ask if they can get green diplomacy with you (literally) or shoot you up jsut a little bt to stay "white" you know what is going on, same for pre-engagement stuff...yes yes, no need to tell a story here -all- the time but most of it is, let's face it only there to fulfill the rule requirement and is felt as a drag.
Sadly most (?!) players are out for numerical or rule- advantages and don't enjoy taking up responsibility for the game atmosphere and immersion anymore ( i am looking at you freelancer & pirate ID)...and with that set up, what is there to "gain" for said players in official factions?

Nothing. Save for people trying to harass you due to visibility and getting to fix the stuff others willingly and intentionally break. The FR5 is a joke, the influence on rp and lore exists only on paper and no one cares about a cau 8, honestly.
As sad as it is but i think without some serious restructuring of how disco works, the official factions will just dwindle into nothingness (well, safe for the big money makers probably).
Then again, if the rp goes to hell as is, there is no need for official factions on a pew pew + 2 liner server, right Wink