Discovery Gaming Community
Smugglers and Mooring Rings - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Smugglers and Mooring Rings (/showthread.php?tid=12058)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Smugglers and Mooring Rings - jpo - 10-01-2008

Quote:Think of it like an airport, when your plane lands your luggage is scan, drug dogs are set upon you, security guards are everywhere and there is no way you can get through until you've passed customs.

I agree totally. Ever been to the Mexican border at tiajuana? There are so many cars going through there its insane. They can't search everyone and dont. The do catch lots of people because they do it 24/7. But they dont shut down the whole border every time they catch a smuggler. they have special rooms for them and what not.

So if there is an SPO theres no way theyre not gonna deliver VIP's in police At's and droms of lux food and just sit there. Its gonna remain operational while they hunt you. But thats where the real disagreement is, I say chances would be good on the inside that I could get away and you and others think that it would would be the other way around. I would love to be able to play it out and see but unfortunately that is the mechanics of the game.

So seeing the mooring fixture interuptable is a great idea if you want to produce the effect of getting caught more often than not. I agree it would make the game more realistic in that more people would get caught, but unrealistic that an entire planet would shut down its single point of entry for some cardamine or artifacts.

...But then that does oint out how insanely OORP it is when you get up to a small station and they scan you and you dock in time...

Maybe they should do that to small bases and stations to make it realistic, bu no one ever smuggles to lawful small bases so whats would be the point of that?

Maybe I am just opposed to change because it doesent affect me so why shold I care? I guess in the pursuit of fairness.

Smugglers and Mooring Rings - Crossbow - 10-01-2008

Quote:There's also a big BUT. Law enforcement entities sitting near the drop-off point of illegal commodities aren't working very well and won't even if the lockdown becomes possible.

They shouldn't sit still and go get the job done instead, patrol around Liberty, that means Texas, California and Colorado, too... that way traders are going to be much safer, smuggling harder and overall public reputation of police and navy would rise...

I agree with the above..... police or navy patrols in the other liberty systems are very rare, Wich gives pirates a carte blanche in the other system.

Is it possible to let the navy or police tag a caucht smuggler as unfriendly for lets say 30 minutes so he cant dock on any lawful base ?

It would be more of rp and the chances for smuggling wont chase much, if you are caught you have to flee

Disrupting a mooring fixture seems a bit harsh for me.

I am not talking that someone should be alowed to quick-dock when attacked by someone,

but if you get chased in a transport you will be outturned , docking in trade lanes sometimes take a retry, and the only light in end of the tunnel is a base where you would be safe. The chasing pirates disable the docking ring and you are screwed. like this there is nowhere to flee to ( it sounds very unfair to me and it works both ways smugglers and pirates have the same problem when a lawfull would disable the mooring fixture on a unlawful base)

Smugglers and Mooring Rings - El Nino - 10-01-2008

"Once again, I believe making Mooring rings able to be temporarily disabled will be a great asset to RP right across Sirius."

If anyone knows how to mod this, send me the insturctions to PM and i'll see what I can do to convince the development team to bring it in... as it would benefit the general gameplay involving smugglers by a lot...

Smugglers and Mooring Rings - jpo - 10-01-2008

' Wrote:"Once again, I believe making Mooring rings able to be temporarily disabled will be a great asset to RP right across Sirius."

If anyone knows how to mod this, send me the insturctions to PM and i'll see what I can do to convince the development team to bring it in... as it would benefit the general gameplay involving smugglers by a lot...
As I stated it will only aid gameplay by increasing the amount of people caught. It wont add to RP.

Smugglers and Mooring Rings - Grimtooth - 10-01-2008

The other day i was on my smuggler and a police tagged ship was camping the Houston dock ring. I fast docked and dumped my cargo while he screamed for me to halt. I start my RP about being an honest trader and all that and undock with a legal cargo. The point is from where he was stationed he got no look at my cargo even though he claimed too have proof. When asked the exact amount i supposedly had he claimed much more than i could hold with the other stuff and armor proving he was bluffing. This presented an excellent opportunity for us BOTH to RP it and have some great fun.
Now anyone with half a brain knows that camping the dock rings to catch smugglers is about the worst possible way to do it. Lawfuls need to take some lessons from pirates on stopping ships they want.
It doesn't take a cruiser or larger to do it all it takes is two ships working together. One disrupts the trade lane the other scans and deals with any ship with contraband goods. It shound NOT be easy to catch a smuggler if the smuggler knows what they are doing and the ability to disrupt dock rings has the potential for abuse FAR out wieghing the intended purpose.

Smugglers and Mooring Rings - LA-384 - 10-01-2008

Nice, now that i've read some of this stuff, i know what i'm going to do next time i'm in new york with artifacts. If they can't stop me, then there is no reason for me to not try and dock at manhattan. Pirates have to deal with traders also, and you don't see us complaining about them docking a jh / base or just engage cruise in the middle of a conversation. (at least i don't). And i'd say it's perfect rp to try and escape.

On the other hand, you don't see pirates camping planet kurile for example, because we know better. There is just no way to catch a trader right in front of a possible escape route. Best chances you have is in the middle of a system, where there are no bases or jh/jg within a close range.

However, not slowing down at all is indeed annoying. A trader cruising by and giving me the finger is something i really don't like. That's why i shoot them down the next time i see them (not days apart offcourse, but if he's on his return), i also announce that to them. Some people might think it's not right, but it's certainly suspicious if someone doesn't slow down for a simple scan, they're obviously hiding something.

So if you seriously want to prevent the smuggling in Liberty space, you'll have to come up with some tactics. Same as why you don't see criminals chased down by one police car, and kindly slow down at the next exit if the police asks them to.

Smugglers and Mooring Rings - Dantrithor - 10-01-2008

Quote:So if you seriously want to prevent the smuggling in Liberty space, you'll have to come up with some tactics. Same as why you don't see criminals chased down by one police car, and kindly slow down at the next exit if the police asks them to.

neither you see RL criminals docking in a prison laughing because they evaded you.

Or smugglers beeing killed 4 times in 30 minutes in exact same spot and complaining sayng "wtf is wrong with you n00b".

I guess i'll do this: I'll sit at the trade lanes, and disrupt them. I'll cause chaos in traffic? I'll cause problems to other security forces by delaying the action? oh, well. Guess that's better.

Smugglers and Mooring Rings - Grimtooth - 10-01-2008

Look you do what you want to but when a smuggler gets docked and you have no proof of a crime don't blame the smuggler for your lack of skill.
As for chaos for traffic and such all i can say to that is a very emphatic BULL.
Anyone not smuggling can dock at the next ring while you deal with a smuggler that's why a said TWO ships as both can scan any traffic.
Not to mention even if they escape you, you will have had time to screen shot their cargo as proof of their crime to post in the law enforcement message dumps and thus be able to use it to stop them on sight to fine them the next time you see them. I am sorry but too often law enforcement try to fine or destroy a smuggler without any proof they commit a crime. You just get told "I know you had contraband" if the cop could even tell me how much i had i would pay the fine and get some RP out of it.
But most just want the cash or the kill and that's all.

Smugglers and Mooring Rings - LA-384 - 10-01-2008

' Wrote:neither you see RL criminals docking in a prison laughing because they evaded you.
That's a very flawed comparison don't you think? According to the description, planet Manhattan equals Las Vegas (at least to me it does). And yes, criminals probably would go to las vegas if the police is unable to stop them.

Quote:Or smugglers beeing killed 4 times in 30 minutes in exact same spot and complaining sayng "wtf is wrong with you n00b".
that is indeed bad roleplay, and instantly shows the person in question is a powersmuggler. If i would die on my smuggling run, i'll either change characters, or do a different run. But i certainly won't come back any time soon.

Quote:I guess i'll do this: I'll sit at the trade lanes, and disrupt them. I'll cause chaos in traffic? I'll cause problems to other security forces by delaying the action? oh, well. Guess that's better.
That's what the american police does when in persuit, however smugglers usually don't use the tradelanes, so you'll have to come up with something else.

Smugglers and Mooring Rings - El Nino - 10-02-2008

Yeah, Well if anyone finds a way to do it, we can test it and put it in the next version...:PDiscussion was long enough... that it would be best to see it introduced...