Discovery Gaming Community
House, Military, Police and Intelligence IDs - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: News and Announcements (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: House, Military, Police and Intelligence IDs (/showthread.php?tid=129217)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

RE: House, Military, Police and Intelligence IDs - Shinju - 05-10-2015

Quote:-Can attack ships which are in violation of Liberty laws or belong to a house or organization considered hostile by Liberty within Liberty house space.

Puerto Rico isn't part of Liberty house space. So they can't enforce Liberty laws in PR.

RE: House, Military, Police and Intelligence IDs - Lythrilux - 05-10-2015

What Shinju said, also:

Quote:-Can attack ships which belong to a House considered hostile by Liberty inside their Zone of Influence.

Congress/Junkers are not a house.

RE: House, Military, Police and Intelligence IDs - Teerin - 05-10-2015

(05-10-2015, 05:04 PM)Garrett Jax Wrote: This change was made primarily to help Unlawful/Corporate/Quasi-lawful factions have a bit more breathing room to engage each other, without having to worry about being FR5'd or face other dire consequences from House Governments.

This change should give Bounty Hunters an opportunity to operate in independent systems where House law is not enforced, yet protection is desperately needed. This change was purposely made to give systems outside House space that "Wild West", Space is Dangerous

First off, the unlawful factions get no benefit from this. They'd be shot at either way. Corporate factions do benefit, yes, however there are much better ways that could be implemented. Create some sort of rule that forbids legal consequences for corporations who engage in corporate warfare in non-House space. Quasilawful factions can now smuggle with magical impunity so long as it doesn't take place within House space, which is a benefit for them, but an unnecessary nerf for lawful groups. Trust me; having lead both LN and UC for a long time, I can tell you that the system was well enough balanced before.

Bounty Hunters will be getting the biggest buff, though. Since law enforcement outside of boundries that don't really exist within roleplay is suddenly forbidden for the police/navy/intel IDs, you can safely bet that the BHG will be picking up where the others were forced to leave off. This is actually something about this that I like. Wow.

The Wild West, where Space is Dangerous, can still be a thing without this exact rule. All you need to do is change the terminology. Have a distinct set of "Border Systems" and "Edge Systems", then restrict law enforcement from the Edge systems. Lump systems like Cortez and Omega-3 into the first category, with Galileo and Omega-5 into the second. That keeps it fairly straightforward, without being unreasonable and unfair to the lawful factions of the four Sirius Houses.

RE: House, Military, Police and Intelligence IDs - jammi - 05-10-2015

I still don't understand why people are using the phrase 'wild west' though. These systems are the arteries that connect Houses.

They are not discrete, low population, strategically insignificant or out the way. They are literally the conduits through which all pan-House trade and travel is conducted.

The actual wild systems are the deep Omegas, Taus and Omicrons. This just shows the clear disconnect between administration and development, when ID changes pretty much ignore story development and system design.

RE: House, Military, Police and Intelligence IDs - Lythrilux - 05-10-2015

(05-10-2015, 05:45 PM)jammi Wrote: The actual wild systems are the deep Omegas, Taus and Omicrons. This just shows the clear disconnect between administration and development, when ID changes pretty much ignore story development and system design.
Can't help but feel the nail has been hit directly on the head.

RE: House, Military, Police and Intelligence IDs - Swifty - 05-10-2015

(05-10-2015, 05:04 PM)Garrett Jax Wrote: stuff

Oh yea? I find this hard to believe since that was a change that was made "secretly" by you (The [A]dmin team) and none of us knew about it until now.

Maybe it's not in my power to do such, but i demand proof of this stuff being talked weeks ago. Failure to do such will basically point out my and a few other people's points. I'm really curious to see this topic, and i mean all of it. Please contact me via skype with the proof.

As for the rest of you said, Jax, as other people said. Screwein other faction over another just to do unlawfuls a favor is a pathetic excuse in my opinion. Not too long ago, nobody gave a {Encrypted} about unlawfuls, what they represent or anything else. Do you honestly think that this "favor" helps anyone? No, not really. BHG was doing fine until now without this, other unlawfuls as well. Nice try though.

RE: House, Military, Police and Intelligence IDs - Thyrzul - 05-10-2015

(05-10-2015, 05:45 PM)jammi Wrote: I still don't understand why people are using the phrase 'wild west' though. These systems are the arteries that connect Houses.

They are not discrete, low population, strategically insignificant or out the way. They are literally the conduits through which all pan-House trade and travel is conducted.

The actual wild systems are the deep Omegas, Taus and Omicrons. This just shows the clear disconnect between administration and development, when ID changes pretty much ignore story development and system design.

Thank you!

RE: House, Military, Police and Intelligence IDs - Omega Defense Flotilla - 05-10-2015

And with these changes, our existance is pointless. Thanks for killing our faction. Great job!

RE: House, Military, Police and Intelligence IDs - Jack_Henderson - 05-10-2015

(05-10-2015, 05:18 PM)ALG Wrote: Can't be bothered logging onto Karst, sorry.

Anyway, this is a very welcome change. The independent worlds were always intended to be just that, independent.
The houses in their deluded grasp for power had completely eliminated the whole concept of "outside of house space", and it's sad that it took a rule change to bring them in line.

While it may require fine tuning, I wholeheartedly welcome this change. I'll leave it at that because I'm not having the same discussion here as I did in official faction leaders chat.

This.

RE: House, Military, Police and Intelligence IDs - TheProphet - 05-10-2015

(05-10-2015, 11:54 AM)jammi Wrote: In SP, border and hazardous systems were patrolled solely by House militaries. Core systems were dealt with by a mixture of police and navy depending on the context - how dangerous particular regions were. In Discovery, that situation has changed somewhat. I'll drop some infocards to illustrate how pants-on-head silly this is, from a lore perspective at least. Different arguments can be made for gameplay balance because that and lore usually have a passing relationship at best.

I'll back this up with two examples I'm most familiar with: Omega 3 and 7. However, with 10 minutes work I could easily find lore pertaining to military and police presences in Cortez, Hudson, Bering, Tau 29, Kepler, Galileo, etc etc.

Extremely badly thought out decision that will have an immense negative impact on police and military factions. Corporate faction PvP potential is getting a massive boost through this, but is that really the intended effect? There's no logical reason why law enforcement shouldn't be able to patrol their own border systems. That was the primary original purpose of the naval groups!

I am rather perplexed by people continuing to insist about "what the Borderworlds were always supposed to be" so I feel this post needs bumping. It has a rather sizable chunk of the lore surrounding Omega 3 and 7.

The change continues to make zero sense, and the "wait and see" argument is beyond awful.