Discovery Gaming Community
Lock Capital Ships to Zone of Influence on Independent IDs - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Lock Capital Ships to Zone of Influence on Independent IDs (/showthread.php?tid=158361)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

RE: Lock Capital Ships to Zone of Influence on Independent IDs - Goliath - 02-22-2018

I agree with Antonio. There are more pressing things than having fun with players's ships.

RE: Lock Capital Ships to Zone of Influence on Independent IDs - Lythrilux - 02-22-2018

That was not Antonio's point.

RE: Lock Capital Ships to Zone of Influence on Independent IDs - Ash - 02-22-2018

(02-22-2018, 09:14 PM)Lythrilux Wrote: Tolerable for some, certainly not for all. We can hit 100 players on good days. These ships being locked to the regions they're supposed to be in won't rapidly reduce the player count. Anyone who thinks so is scaremongering tbh.

What we have here is a good example of old vs new players and what they expect from discovery gameplay.

Older players tend to have this misplaced sense of entitlement to lay down the laws of the mod and how it should be played. What I say is this, put yourself in the shoes of a newer player who may only have the faintest grasp of the dizzying complexity of layers upon layers of Discovery lore. Canon discovery lore has been continuosly written by players for well over a decade. It is unfair for an enclave of regulars to stamp out any outliers that don't fall within their idea of what is acceptable. That in itself is a form of metagaming be it widely accepted or not.

Drawing evermore lines in the sand with rules is only going to cause more unexperienced players to cross them unknowingly. On top of that it stitches everyones RP possibilities down to the mod standards and railroads roleplay until everyone has a character for every single faction. Who has the time for that except regular long time players?

Ideas like this marginalise independent IDs and continuously restrict what they can and cannot do until the career that's supposed to give you freedom is all but sapped of it. Note that i'm not advocating to relax existing regulations but meerly pointing out that not everything can be solved with rules.

Honestly, i don't know why this is stirring such a fuss. Knowing what a hornet's nest the Omicrons can be especially with the zealous reputation of some of our players, taking a random cap there is practically begging for a ganking.

RE: Lock Capital Ships to Zone of Influence on Independent IDs - MotokoSusu - 02-23-2018

Lythrilux writes:

"Haha. It's well within my capability to pull organised gangs of people to pummel foreign caps whenever they come into my area of play, but that wouldn't be very nice or constructive. I'd rather find a permanent solution."

You use "My area of play " I think we found the underlying issue at hand right there. you perceive these area as if you own them as a personal asset and no one is allowed on "YOUR" playground unless every one use your ball.

Also Ash is right

RE: Lock Capital Ships to Zone of Influence on Independent IDs - Lythrilux - 02-23-2018

(02-22-2018, 11:00 PM)Ash Wrote: Older players tend to have this misplaced sense of entitlement to lay down the laws of the mod and how it should be played. What I say is this, put yourself in the shoes of a newer player who may only have the faintest grasp of the dizzying complexity of layers upon layers of Discovery lore. Canon discovery lore has been continuosly written by players for well over a decade. It is unfair for an enclave of regulars to stamp out any outliers that don't fall within their idea of what is acceptable. That in itself is a form of metagaming be it widely accepted or not.

Drawing evermore lines in the sand with rules is only going to cause more unexperienced players to cross them unknowingly. On top of that it stitches everyones RP possibilities down to the mod standards and railroads roleplay until everyone has a character for every single faction. Who has the time for that except regular long time players?

Ideas like this marginalise independent IDs and continuously restrict what they can and cannot do until the career that's supposed to give you freedom is all but sapped of it. Note that i'm not advocating to relax existing regulations but meerly pointing out that not everything can be solved with rules.

This change will not create any restrictions beyond what players can, and should be doing, normally. I don't know where the notion that this change utterly neuters newbies comes from. And newbies aren't idiots. I've rarely seen sanctions were Core or Order caps have been sanctioned for breaching their Cap ZoI restriction ID lines. It doesn't prevent them from leaving their ZoI and roleplay with others, provided they aren't flying a Cap. It can lead to the creation of a small perk that can actually give Official IDs a slight edge over their indie counterparts.

(02-22-2018, 11:00 PM)Ash Wrote: Honestly, i don't know why this is stirring such a fuss. Knowing what a hornet's nest the Omicrons can be especially with the zealous reputation of some of our players, taking a random cap there is practically begging for a ganking.

Although it happens everywhere, come to the Omicrons and spend some time in my shoes. You'll understand how it makes the Omicrons almost conn-tier.

(02-23-2018, 12:57 AM)MotokoSusu Wrote: Lythrilux writes:

"Haha. It's well within my capability to pull organised gangs of people to pummel foreign caps whenever they come into my area of play, but that wouldn't be very nice or constructive. I'd rather find a permanent solution."

You use "My area of play " I think we found the underlying issue at hand right there. you perceive these area as if you own them as a personal asset and no one is allowed on "YOUR" playground unless every one use your ball.

Precisely the point of my somewhat sarcastic post. The problem with the approach of 'KILL THEM ALL' is that it's unfriendly and aggressive. It's currently the only, and suggested, way to deal with this issue. I feel like it's not the right way to instruct players that what they're doing is wrong, and there should be a hard guideline instead, that at the same time allows them to explore more of the mod without getting stomped on.

Look, everyone. This suggested change has solid proof that it works without pushing away newbies (the poor helpless newbies!), killing the mod or destroying all that is good and reducing activity. It's not going to create a million new sanctions as if post-change all our new members will suddenly be unable to read. People need to stop being so emotional and hysterical and look at the facts. If it works with The Core and Order IDs, and has lead to the creation of many SRPs where players have proven they can be trusted to use those Capitals outside of ZoI, then it can work for all IDs. The end result can only be beneficial.

And to reiterate this because people don't read: this change won't affect the Zoner ID, or any ID that doesn't have a stated ZoI. This change is also about IDs, not the ships themselves. It would be represented as an ID line, not a rule.

RE: Lock Capital Ships to Zone of Influence on Independent IDs - HanCloudstone - 02-23-2018

People are asking same questions repeatedly and make same points again and again in defence of a horde of lolwuts and a handful of actually RPing players. Previous posts are largely ignored.
A perfect example of the repetitiveness trend that I see on Disco forums quite often.

As it was already said, hordes of lolwuts are worse than losing your precious battleships going to Omicrons because "muh incredibool dip arpee". If your RP is that good, there was a solution proposed.

RE: Lock Capital Ships to Zone of Influence on Independent IDs - LordBuglette - 02-23-2018

From my limited understanding of this post, this is just so that factions like, Core, Order, and all that other lovely stuff in that sector dont have to deal with exotics. It also kind of sounds like you are struggling to enforce RP law on singular vessels. I'm not grasping this very well, I need someone to explain to me, how locking indies to snubs to go places that aren't normal to their ID, would benefit ANYONE. I mean sure, other players wouldn't have to log on to make an interaction. But why would official caps be able to fly free? Is this some kind of joke to get more members for factions? Because it would make even less sense for a official cap to be flying out of their ZoI without a reason. And like most said, "Exploration and getting lost is not an excuse".

Edit: A quick note to add, if you dont let a noobie explore things for himself, he'll never learn, If you give him a bad experience in one of the most populated places on the server, Hes probably just going to leave and never come back to said location or the mod itself. Its like sticking your finger in the door, you dont know how painful it is until you try it. Or like eating something for the first time, you never know it until you try it.

To also note, the reason you will find many new players in random locations that have absolutely nothing to do with their ID, could be for many reasons. There might be very low activity in their ZoI, or perhaps their just not enjoying the place their in with their vessel. I mean sure, you get the baiter a lot, but honestly those aren't a problem. Blow em up and go do something else, because they will too. If you want to seriously deal with this problem, if its a baiter, blow it up. If its a newbie, you sit down with them and tell them your prospective on server RP and then ask them theirs and what they have intentions for. Blowing them up then ranting about it just doesn't cut it, this is a roleplay server on a space game, expect what you typically wouldnt, nothing is perfect. And just blowing up clueless players because your zealous about your gameplay style isnt how a COMMUNITY should act.

RE: Lock Capital Ships to Zone of Influence on Independent IDs - Blackvertigo1 - 02-23-2018

Do it, watch the player server count fall, faction inactivity, and begging for Official IDs comes.

RE: Lock Capital Ships to Zone of Influence on Independent IDs - Lythrilux - 02-23-2018

(02-23-2018, 04:28 AM)pat Wrote: From my limited understanding of this post, this is just so that factions like, Core, Order, and all that other lovely stuff in that sector dont have to deal with exotics. It also kind of sounds like you are struggling to enforce RP law on singular vessels. I'm not grasping this very well, I need someone to explain to me, how locking indies to snubs to go places that aren't normal to their ID, would benefit ANYONE. I mean sure, other players wouldn't have to log on to make an interaction. But why would official caps be able to fly free? Is this some kind of joke to get more members for factions? Because it would make even less sense for a official cap to be flying out of their ZoI without a reason. And like most said, "Exploration and getting lost is not an excuse".

Edit: A quick note to add, if you dont let a noobie explore things for himself, he'll never learn, If you give him a bad experience in one of the most populated places on the server, Hes probably just going to leave and never come back to said location or the mod itself. Its like sticking your finger in the door, you dont know how painful it is until you try it. Or like eating something for the first time, you never know it until you try it.

To also note, the reason you will find many new players in random locations that have absolutely nothing to do with their ID, could be for many reasons. There might be very low activity in their ZoI, or perhaps their just not enjoying the place their in with their vessel. I mean sure, you get the baiter a lot, but honestly those aren't a problem. Blow em up and go do something else, because they will too. If you want to seriously deal with this problem, if its a baiter, blow it up. If its a newbie, you sit down with them and tell them your prospective on server RP and then ask them theirs and what they have intentions for. Blowing them up then ranting about it just doesn't cut it, this is a roleplay server on a space game, expect what you typically wouldnt, nothing is perfect. And just blowing up clueless players because your zealous about your gameplay style isnt how a COMMUNITY should act.

Your understanding of this thread is incorrect and you need to re-read the OP. It's about everywhere. I'm not struggling to blow these ships up, I just don't want to have to do that as a solution, the reasons why are outlined by yourself (plus it's also tiresome).

I really cannot believe that an Official cap flying out of it's ZoI would make less sense than an indie cap doing the same.

But for clarities sake:

(02-23-2018, 01:32 AM)Lythrilux Wrote: Look, everyone. This suggested change has solid proof that it works without pushing away newbies (the poor helpless newbies!), killing the mod or destroying all that is good and reducing activity. It's not going to create a million new sanctions as if post-change all our new members will suddenly be unable to read. People need to stop being so emotional and hysterical and look at the facts. If it works with The Core and Order IDs, and has lead to the creation of many SRPs where players have proven they can be trusted to use those Capitals outside of ZoI, then it can work for all IDs. The end result can only be beneficial.

And to reiterate this because people don't read: this change won't affect the Zoner ID, or any ID that doesn't have a stated ZoI. This change is also about IDs, not the ships themselves. It would be represented as an ID line, not a rule.

RE: Lock Capital Ships to Zone of Influence on Independent IDs - pillow - 02-23-2018

"I'm special snowflake and important so I need to bring my Valors/Redemptions/Bismarcks/Whatever in the Omicrons because my RP is top notch and nothing can surpass it, please acknowledge how much quality I ooze out of my every pore by bringing caps that are extremely out of place into Delta to prove that my rebel defected character is a master at removing the dangerous Nomad threat."

Come on.