Discovery Gaming Community
What is a pvpwhore? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: What is a pvpwhore? (/showthread.php?tid=59859)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

What is a pvpwhore? - Domjan - 05-13-2011

' Wrote:A lot of you use the term 'pvpwhore' as a method of describing undesirables who play the game in a manner you dislike. For example:
This quote was used in conjunction with a thread about a gank.

Now personally, I think the term pvpwhore needn't be applied in a negative manner.

My definition of a pvpwhore would be as follows
  • A player who'd main focus in the game is combat.
  • Someone who appreciates a good fight, in which the sides are evenly balanced. A true pvpwhore would endeavor not to gank, as that is not an adaquate test of his or her skills.
  • One who's roleplay characters are largely geared towards combative roles.
I'd describe myself as a pvpwhore to a certain extent. I love fighting. It's fun, and is the activity towards which the game we play is geared.

I'd rather not get lumped with the people described in the quote above. A pvpwhore will want their combat in some roleplay context, but will regard the combat as the main attraction. The people described in that post I quoted, are just inconsiderate morons. Not a pvpwhore, by my definition.

I thought "your" definiton was actually... Common sense.

What is a pvpwhore? - Ceoran - 05-13-2011

' Wrote:the bolded part is where i literally dropped my jaw.
to argue about this is quite pointless, i believe, but i will still try.

i will try to keep it simple and to the point. so - consider a gaian and a molly meet. both playing their parts properly? what happens? they sit down next to a fire, sing kumbaya and eat cookies while they exchange stories of past and memories of parental abuse?

To argue about it you'd need to understand that my definition differs a lot from Joes and has always been meant to describe negative elements. I am not the one who defines everyone who engages into combat as a PvPwhore, that for you'd need to go by Joes description.
In other words: If I call someone a PvPwhore, I don't want to describe him as someone who likes combat, but as someone whose methods to get into as much combat as possible should be subject to rule 1.2.

' Wrote:You see Martin, its a matter of perspective. Ceoran here flies a Kraken Sabre I bet, but only because he sits in space and wants to have a friendly chat with any Corsair he meets. Because his character earned enough money from the Corsairs (because they pay him to tell them jokes while they sit in space and sing songs), to buy off Malta.:lol:

Yes, Discovery would be much better in that case. I agree.

Which one of the Sabres are you talking about?
Nero.D'Ortona.[101st] 07/04/2011 16:22:34 00:00:00
or
Nero.D'Ortona[101st] 07/04/2011 16:24:03 00:00:00
?

Furthermore, what's your purpose in this topic, or rather in the entire forums other than mindless trolling and spamming?
Did you ever consider not to post if there's nothing constructive you could add? Or would it hurt your ego to much to never post?

What is a pvpwhore? - Stealthsultn - 05-14-2011

I'm going to put down a final clarification before this thread goes off the rails. I used the term pvp-whore to describe the actions of a select group of order independent pilots. My usage of the term pvp-whore was not the focus of my statement and I don't care what meaning people wish to apply to the term. If people here use the term with positive connotations; thats fine (and power to you:yahoo:).

As far as I can see, this thread is misguided; what do people want to discuss? What it means to be a pvp-whore OR proper pvp behavior in regards to RP.

I was talking about pilots who attack without so much as a warning when I spoke up, however I never intented to generalize a huge swath of the community. If I did; I am sorry. :$

What is a pvpwhore? - ... kur nubėgo? - 05-14-2011

I play here mainly for pvp. It's fun.

And rp talkin' part, most of the time is static and boring. It's just something I must to do fit into the environment. In rare occasions this is not true, but those times don't repeat often.

What is a pvpwhore? - Snoozzzer - 05-14-2011

[font=Comic Sans Ms]PVPWhore - One who takes pleasure in others suffering. Also known as an asshat, tard, sociopath, knobend and jackass

The OP's definition is more about respectful and considerate players who enjoy PVP.

/end personal answer

What is a pvpwhore? - ... kur nubėgo? - 05-14-2011

' Wrote:[font=Comic]PVPWhore - One who takes pleasure in others suffering. Also known as an asshat, tard, sociopath, knobend and jackass

The OP's definition is more about respectful and considerate players who enjoy PVP.

/end personal answer

I think that's a sadist you've described. You have some kind of misconception. And you seem to have a tendency to judge others based on your own perception, rather than objective facts of reality.

What is a pvpwhore? - Cond0r - 05-14-2011

' Wrote:Did you ever consider not to post if there's nothing constructive you could add?
Yes, but I always have something constructive to add.

' Wrote:Or would it hurt your ego to much to never post?
Maybe, I didnt try it yet.

What is a pvpwhore? - Ceoran - 05-14-2011

' Wrote:[font=Comic Sans Ms]PVPWhore - One who takes pleasure in others suffering. Also known as an asshat, tard, sociopath, knobend and jackass

/end personal answer

I myself wouldn't really call it suffering since not all PvPWhores are necessarily good at what they are doing. I'm sure the corsair playerbase has some stories at hand about outcast fresh meat invading every 4 hours and dying in less than 5 minutes. I definitely recall some that went the other way around. That's just the examples that come to my mind first, there've been others all over the place.

' Wrote:Yes, but I always have something constructive to add.

You know, writing it down would make it visible for others too.

What is a pvpwhore? - Cond0r - 05-14-2011

' Wrote:You know, writing it down would make it visible for others too.
I'll try that. Thanks for the friendly tip!

What is a pvpwhore? - Snoozzzer - 05-14-2011

' Wrote:I think that's a sadist you've described. You have some kind of misconception. And you seem to have a tendency to judge others based on your own perception, rather than objective facts of reality.

' Wrote:I myself wouldn't really call it suffering since not all PvPWhores are necessarily good at what they are doing. I'm sure the corsair playerbase has some stories at hand about outcast fresh meat invading every 4 hours and dying in less than 5 minutes. I definitely recall some that went the other way around. That's just the examples that come to my mind first, there've been others all over the place.
[font=Comic Sans Ms]
I have come to acquire this point of view from listening to various parties raging. Please note that I am not knocking player vs player combat. Disco would be an extremely boring place without that. Nor am I knocking those who enjoy a good fight.

From what I, myself, have seen, "PVPWhores" are, as thingy put it, Sadists. They may not be particularly good at fighting, but do take pleasure in seeing and inflicting suffering upon others.

Do note that this is my personal opinion, and as with the differing opinions in this thread, it is not right or wrong, it merely is.