Discovery Gaming Community
Crash to desktop when entering a character - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Welcome (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=399)
+--- Forum: Help & Support (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Crash to desktop when entering a character (/showthread.php?tid=101343)

Pages: 1 2

Crash to desktop when entering a character - The Doctor - 07-04-2013

Hey folks, I've been having a really annoying problem.

I open the game, select Disco server, choose my character, and then.... it switches to Desktop and moments later gives me a "Freelancer stopped working" message.

Thing is, it's very random -- when it decides to happen, it happens for an hour or so, every time I log in, it crashes. Most of the time it don't happens, but when it does, doesn't matter if I have stuff running in the background or not, windows open, Skype, or whatever, it just happens. Even restarting doesn't help when FL takes a fancy for not working. Most of the time, I can actually see my ship/hangar before the game switches to desktop, a few times it happens while entering the loading server on the loading screen.

Anyone have ANY idea what might be causing this? I never had this before reinstalling =/

And to make matters worse, it always decides to happen when I'm in a hurry to get into the game for any reason =P

Thanks in advance.

RE: Crash to desktop when entering a character - Giggle Snort - 07-06-2013

I have the very same problem .. except a little different.

My game crashes every time after I restart freelancer or if my PC goes on standby. I find that restarting my PC usually helps temporarily. But you've already said that it doesn't help you.
Ah well .. still searching for a reply.

RE: Crash to desktop when entering a character - SkyNet - 07-06-2013

Hah... have the same problem here. Dont know how to fix that. If there is a event i want to join, it crashes up to 8 times. Maybe it happens when the server is occupied.

RE: Crash to desktop when entering a character - Tri-Edge62 - 07-06-2013

I've had problem like that. Which i was told i was setting off the Anti Cheat thing. I ended up like closing my google chrome in background and it seems to work o:

RE: Crash to desktop when entering a character - pitockm - 07-06-2013

hmm.....for the 10'th time. if you see your hangar before it goes messy. ..it means something from the files.

also..you got enb series enabled while installing disco mod? if yes. do a clean install and remove ENB when installing the mod itself. ( removing dll file or renaming it WONT help if you have it installed)

stay safe.

RE: Crash to desktop when entering a character - The Doctor - 07-06-2013

No ENB, no previous mod, clean installation, reinstalled twice, SOMETIMES I see my hangar (or ship, if the game crashed or disconected and I was last in space), but most times all I see is loading and then it switches to desktop.

And closing Chrome didn't help, Trie-Edge, I thoguht it might be that and runned the game with nothing else running, but it seems pretty random. =P

RE: Crash to desktop when entering a character - JaaY - 07-08-2013

This problem appears to me from time to time, too. Sometimes it works when I quickly launch the ship, but yesterday it crashed after I did so. I think it's because of your browser or other background programs.

If it won't work after a couple of times you can still reboot.

RE: Crash to desktop when entering a character - Stuart.croll - 08-07-2013

I am suffering the same problem with various characters in various accounts. I can access ships in dock but game crashes to desktop when trying to launch. Only appeared today on my desktop which runs Win 7 whereas I don't seem to have the same problem on my laptop which is running Vista. V strange.

RE: Crash to desktop when entering a character - Potter Harry - 08-07-2013

(08-07-2013, 10:42 PM)Stuart.croll Wrote: I am suffering the same problem with various characters in various accounts. I can access ships in dock but game crashes to desktop when trying to launch. Only appeared today on my desktop which runs Win 7 whereas I don't seem to have the same problem on my laptop which is running Vista. V strange.

If you use compatibility mode and run it with Vista (by right clicking on Freelancer, going to Properties and choosing any Windows Vista under the compatibility tab), does the problem still occur?

If others would be so kind to take a peek in their FLSpew.txt file located in
C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Freelancer whenever a crash like this occurs, then copy the last few lines to your post, to help pinpoint what is causing those crashes.

Bolded parts are what you're looking for. The most recent logs are at the very bottom of the file.

In the case the file is too big for you to open, download Notepad++. It's a lot less power demanding.

E:\FL\Scratch\Source\Server\PlayerDB.cpp(886) : *** ERROR: game () has invalid system name (ESTR01) in player file (C:\Users\Doj\Documents\My Games\Freelancer\Accts\SinglePlayer\Save592a.fl)

E:\FL\Scratch\Source\Common\Systems.cpp(3071) : *** WARNING: get_base(ESTR01_01_Base) failed.

RE: Crash to desktop when entering a character - meoshi - 08-07-2013

I used to have this problem but i fixed it by switching from wifi to a wired connection.