Discovery Gaming Community
Performance Issues, - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Welcome (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=399)
+--- Forum: Help & Support (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Performance Issues, (/showthread.php?tid=101539)

Performance Issues, - Auriec - 07-08-2013

Hello,
Asking for assistance with a problem I recently have with Freelancer. Every once in a while, I experience huge FPS drops. Tested only in windowed mode so far, and after jumping / undocking. FPS drops in windowed mode from ~160 to 5-30 and in fullscreen from 60 to 20-30

The cause for this is - I don't know why it worked before and now it does not - that Freelancer sometimes only use one of four cores. When the FPS drop happens, the first core is at 100% while the other three are almost not used.

Restarting the computer, reinstalling the game and such didn't have an effect so far. I'm don't have much experience with hardware issues, so I'm instead asking here for help. Anybody have an idea what's the issue?

Note: The issue only is present at Freelancer. The problem popped up yesterday, haven't had an issue like this for the last 6 months.

The newest drivers are installed.

Specs Wrote:GPU: Geforce GTX 460 SE
CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 640 Processor
RAM: 4 GB

/edit - Doesn't happen all the time, though. Sometimes it's working just fine and sometimes its not.

RE: Performance Issues, Freelancer only using one core - Haste - 07-08-2013

Freelancer isn't at all optimized for multicore processors. In fact, no game from that era is, as they didn't exist back then.

I'd be amazed if you found the game actually using more than one core.

RE: Performance Issues, Freelancer only using one core - Major_Mayhem - 07-08-2013

The game actually uses but one core. The words "multi" and "core" in combination where at that time (2003) reserved for science fiction.
FPS drops (for split seconds) usually occur when
a) loading graphics from HD such as appearing NPCs. The game-engine does not seem to prefetch all graphics into the RAM nor does it page all graphics. And before you ask: I believe that is an engine-problem, thus cannot be fixed by the modders. Mainly due to the fact that microsoft has not published the source code of the engine.

b) loading data from server. The engine simply does not refresh the screen when it is still waiting for data.

Longer lasting FPSdrops I've had as well. Usually only when more core-heavy programs are running parallel. Nowadays even the browser might outweigh a game of 2003 in therms of used CPU-power. I never actually cared to measure the FPS-rate as alt-enter to full screen resultet in a immediate resume of the fixed 60FPS of my screen.

Now for comparison: I have
Quote:CPU: Intel Core i7 3720QM 2.60GHz [Quadcore]
GPU: Quadro K2000M [2Gb]
RAM: 8 GB

RE: Performance Issues, - Auriec - 07-10-2013

Okay, it seems that the problem appears when players are nearby. Without anyone near it gets to 160 FPS, if there are around 8 players near it suddenly drops to a ridiculous 6 FPS. Anyone know what causes this sort of problem? I'll reinstall Freelancer as soon as I can, although this already happened on a fresh installed copy. It hasn't happened before, and certainly doesn't happen in any other game,.