Discovery Gaming Community
Should there be more unique ships? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Should there be more unique ships? (/showthread.php?tid=102175)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Should there be more unique ships? - Narcotic - 07-20-2013

Just another poll out of curiosity.

By unique I mean more ships which are only given out to one player at the time. Like the Persephone, Satsuma Tundra and Necrosis.

There exist so many cool models (by jinx for example) which could be used for this purpose. Other player who couldn't fly them wouldn't have any harm, right?

Also, if this:
(07-20-2013, 06:01 PM)Narcotic Wrote: [Image: Freelancer2013-07-2019-05-07-752.png]

[Image: Freelancer2013-07-2019-08-29-643.png]

... would be an unique ship - to whom would you give it?

I'd give it to W.F.Cody. He'd be the only person I could think of who really deserves it.

RE: Should there be more unique ships? - Swallow - 07-20-2013

I wouldn`t mind to give well-known, long-living characters unique ships.
But but...devs, balance, rp, etc etc...

Edit: on Yacht, I`d give one to von Goeben, but it looks way to luxury for him.

RE: Should there be more unique ships? - Duvelske - 07-20-2013

Narc, you are now using that model i asked you for singleplayer Tongue damn you Big Grin

Anyways.. i think its not a problem as long the ship will not be op. which in terms of id and shipwise must be balanced. I have not a problem with unique ships. as long they are USED properly. In which as with the necrosis the one owning it became inactive (vacation or whatever i do not know the exact reason) and it did pass on to an admin using it as an admin ship. Nothing wrong with it, but i guess it might be a nice idea to let it just be used by someone else who could forfill that role. So the ship is actually still being used in the game. (as non admin ship)

RE: Should there be more unique ships? - Omi - 07-20-2013

I'm not a fan of the unique ships thing, given that the three you've mentioned aren't even flown any more (as far as I know anyway - maybe the Persephone is still around?)

The models could probably be used for better ship niches in the mod, IMO. There are plenty of factions without caps that could get them from a few of these models, with a bit of tweaking and actual balancing etc etc.

That said, if there ever was new unique one-character-only ships being introduced, I think it should be up to a community-wide vote rather than just some admin/other committee deciding that they think X person deserves it for Y character or whatever.
Furthermore, the damn models should be reused. It seems a real waste to have the Necrosis and (don't bite me for mentioning this) the Phantom shipline completely out of the mod just because "they don't fit anymore" or whatever other BS excuse was given for that. The Necrosis looks like a reasonably cool battlecruiserish model that could be repurposed for any number of factions, and the Phantom stuff could be reworked as special forces/Order stuff, I dunno.

Point is, I think the idea is nice in a perfect world, but given how the unique ships we have right now are doing, I don't see it working out.

RE: Should there be more unique ships? - Alley - 07-20-2013

no, the admins tend to give it to people that don't really give a damn and thus are never seen ingame.

RE: Should there be more unique ships? - Zen_Mechanics - 07-20-2013

The more ships the better, I'd say redesign umbrage, redesign phone and make both of them available. ( SRP)

RE: Should there be more unique ships? - Madvillain - 07-20-2013

I voted yes , but the ships shouldn't be OP , or even hardly combat worthy.
It's great to see more variety in disco.
One thing I would like to see though is a minimum activity requirement , similar to official factions.
This to prevent Alley's point.
Also it would be highly debatable who deserves a custom ship , so I'd like to propose (when it comes to caps) to only allow them as shared ships.

RE: Should there be more unique ships? - Jansen - 07-20-2013

I'd be all in for more unique ships, they are what adds a really great bit of atmosphere to this mod.
If someone worked hard and for a long time on a character, why not reward them with something? Essentially the work put into this character will likely have a positive effect on the community as well.
Not to mention that this mod is called discovery, what would you have to discover if everyone flies the same ships?

RE: Should there be more unique ships? - Zweibrucken - 07-20-2013

well since 2010 i havnt seen one...and i play a fair bit all across so woulda expected to see one by now...

RE: Should there be more unique ships? - Jinx - 07-20-2013

primary question - should special ships be more open to others? sure - no harm there.

but how should it be done...

... for me - the barge was clear indicator that it went terribly wrong. - for one - i d make these ships UNTRADABLE. - oh - and some might really need some rebalancing.

then there is the problem with the lore behind those ships. - although we should assume that a player picking a ship should know about the ship no matter if its special or not - it is even more important when it comes to those.

there is also the problem that some of the unique ships are not suited for multiple incarnations.

- the necrosis is THE necrosis - there is only one. ( also its OP with a BC core and the ability to fire GB missile spams )

- the satsuma is the emperors ship - so unless you get multiple emperors - there is only really one

- the leviathan is THE precurser of the nephilim - but be my guest if you want to RP a copy of it. in the lore, you are not flying the original - but only a nephilim that looks like teh leviathan - so it doesn t matter. ( also you are likely to get your account corupted by it - cause i attached waaay too many items to the ship )

also - its my ship - i change it around as i please to fit my RP. - you got no vote there when you end up flying something that does not fit yours.

- the yacht mk2 ... uh... could just be added as a normal ship - doesn t matter if there are a thousand of those around.

in terms of minimum requiremnet to use them. - yea - makes about as much sense as it does for official factions. - quantity over quality.

just cause you do not see a ship does not mean it is not there. - the core RP of a nephiilim is to be "hidden" - that means "not seen".

but if ppl demand it - i ll fly my leviathan through new york next time instead of hiding it as the RP demands.