Discovery Gaming Community
The Freelancer is E for everyone, that doesn't mean that DiscoveryGC should. - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: The Freelancer is E for everyone, that doesn't mean that DiscoveryGC should. (/showthread.php?tid=103117)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

The Freelancer is E for everyone, that doesn't mean that DiscoveryGC should. - Lythrilux - 08-10-2013

Whilst going through the sanction notices, I noticed someone's character got warned for bad language. I had flown with this person's character quite often and had gained an appreciation of they way his character role plays. As I thought the more mature realism he presented made the character genuinely more interesting.
Yet, for trying to role play more and create an interesting character, he got warned.
This surprised me greatly, as I thought <FEMALE DOGE> was permitted to be used (I don't even think it's filtered).
One point I'm making is that if you sanction people for saying certain words, at least filter them prior so that they don't get any nasty surprises.
But moreover, I believe we need to move away from the 'E for everyone' attitude.
Hell, we have slavery, drugs, contraband, prostitution and general death. But one or two words that have RP significance are not allowed?
We should bump the game up to PG13 at least, because that's the age when swearing is more acceptable/used.
I'm sure we're all mature enough to not q.q when someone offends your female dog.
Discuss.

RE: The Freelancer is E for everyone, that doesn't mean that DiscoveryGC should. - Korny - 08-10-2013

It's been discussed before. And let's be honest: That "warning" was filed out because of the guy who's reported me, I don't see an issue with my roleplay, at all. I think some people should think twice before they actually send a load of work at some admins direction before doing it.

Well, I hope it was worth it. Probably got a boner reading his antagonist Navy chick getting warned for nothing personal.

RE: The Freelancer is E for everyone, that doesn't mean that DiscoveryGC should. - Altejago - 08-10-2013

I've been done many a time for foul language. Infact, around 10% of my time here has been spent banned for swearing, either oorp or inrp.

I am for a more relaxed language restriction, in the interests of the above statement "Drugs, slavery, murder, rape"
however I also understand that the interaction between players should remain civil, and at the very least polite.

If I were to roleplay an angry farmer, of course I'd swear about the way our people are being used and abused where an officer of any of the military forces would use proper 'Net' language. One thing I learned in my basic training is that there is no swearing on the 'net'.

I think these warnings are good to an extent that the grieved get some satisfaction of rightfulness upon the admins acknowledging their report and distaste, yet not taking any punitive manner upon the player using 'foul' language in a roleplay event other than a notice to state that 'Hey, you used something not generally condoned. reconsider this in the future."

Just my experienced opinion.

RE: The Freelancer is E for everyone, that doesn't mean that DiscoveryGC should. - Zen_Mechanics - 08-10-2013

The problem is, and will always be : Language is what we want it to be, when we want it. Some people are always offended, in this new pc era telling difference betw a geunine opinion followed by a curse word then a genuine "lust" feeling word is so hard isn't it? - Theres always the benefit scroungers you see in europe and in the uk, shutting people off, censoring them just incase someone happends to be offended. I realize theres a strict attitude that all civilized people should follow, but cursing is part of our language, and part of our daily communication - theres nothing wrong with that. Infact, I stress myself not to use the madafaka word whenever I meet an officer with my LWB - because if people like it or not, that's part of my character's way of expressing things - However we are always expected to respect other individuals and get none in return - infact we do get something in return, the old fashion -high school teacher qoute " Your better than this " - Just lol.

As admin staffs, they need to ease a little on that - It's no longer the 80's where education meant something for the parents, even if the old school is different than it is now, people adjust - so if I see someone cursing me and he happends to be a cripple without a leg, Ima talk about the leg - We always get what we give.

RE: The Freelancer is E for everyone, that doesn't mean that DiscoveryGC should. - Kazinsal - 08-10-2013

Freelancer's actually rated T.

But yeah, I pretty much agree. Kids these days are swearing at ages as young as ten around here, and I don't even live in the US. It's a bit much to call someone some imaginary construct using the f-word, but I wouldn't mind being allowed to occasionally drop "Oh <four letter word for excrement starting with s and ending with hit>" when the situation requires it.

Say, a Gallic Valor fleet jumping in right on top of my fighter wing.

Contextual swearing is good. OORP swearing isn't constructive.

RE: The Freelancer is E for everyone, that doesn't mean that DiscoveryGC should. - Sabru - 08-10-2013

(08-10-2013, 10:03 AM)Kazinsal Wrote: Freelancer's actually rated T.

But yeah, I pretty much agree. Kids these days are swearing at ages as young as ten around here, and I don't even live in the US. It's a bit much to call someone some imaginary construct using the f-word, but I wouldn't mind being allowed to occasionally drop "Oh <four letter word for excrement starting with s and ending with hit>" when the situation requires it.

Say, a Gallic Valor fleet jumping in right on top of my fighter wing.

Contextual swearing is good. OORP swearing isn't constructive.

exactly. play any Call Of Duty and you'll have 10 years swearing non-stop. so a no-swearing policy for disco is kinda moot. especially seeing as most, if not all, of us are 'old enough' to handle swearing, inRP of course.

edit: meoshi said it well.

RE: The Freelancer is E for everyone, that doesn't mean that DiscoveryGC should. - sindroms - 08-10-2013

The SP experience is rated T. Not the online one. Every server would have their own policy on it, and Discovery decided on the PG one. Deal with it.

RE: The Freelancer is E for everyone, that doesn't mean that DiscoveryGC should. - Hannibal - 08-10-2013

i would rather say 18,but..let's face it..
The world we live in nowadays you see kids @5 years that has a more "rich" vocabulary than you will ever do..

RE: The Freelancer is E for everyone, that doesn't mean that DiscoveryGC should. - meoshi - 08-10-2013

We are all role playing adults (well most of us are) And we should be allowed to play that role and not be censored when doing so. Im not saying all swear words should be allowed but some should.

RE: The Freelancer is E for everyone, that doesn't mean that DiscoveryGC should. - Hone - 08-10-2013

As others have said FL is rated T.

Now; Personally Im for allowing any kind of language INRP. However, the admins have decided to censor some language, and I accept that.

BUT

You are allowed to say Bastard, the NPCs say bastard, Female DOG (WTH is up with people saying DOGE?) has always struck me as the female version of bastard, and if bastard is allowed, it should be too.