Discovery Gaming Community
Treewyrm's Various Stuff - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Developers Forum (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=183)
+--- Thread: Treewyrm's Various Stuff (/showthread.php?tid=105201)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: Treewyrm's Various Stuff - Treewyrm - 07-15-2014

That's just a test thing I did.

In Freelancer asteroid fields are made of repeating cubes which fit into whatever shape the asteroid zone is (typically ellipsoid), these cube patterns are filled with individual asteroid objects arranged inside. Optionally these pattern cubes may have randomization such as rate of empty blocks that will be skipped, rotation (which is what you see on the picture). This is why if you fly in straight axis inside some asteroid fields that have no rotation randomization you'll eventually notice same pattern of asteroid over and over again (for example in Cortez it's the field around California gate, Omicron Kappa and various other places). These cube patterns have size property, so if you increase the size of the cube the asteroids within will be sparsely arranged and if you decrease size the field will be quite dense. Which is quite nice for a system designer to quickly adjust fields to be either more capital ship friendly or the opposite. But what are the limits? While very large sizes are possible I had found one big issue - after pattern cube exceeds certain size the individual asteroids within will have their hitboxes disabled for some reason (I suspect it's a hardcoded limit related to collision physics optimization), all except one that has to be located directly in center of the pattern cube. Another limitation is that one asteroid field may use only one material for asteroids within it. It's a very strange limitation but it is there, so if say if you'll try to have a single asteroid field to use two different asteroid types each with their own texture in the resulting field they'll all have one texture regardless. The solution of course is to use atlas textures: basically images that simply contain different textures within. But it's not all that easy - you can't tile atlas textures as it's no longer seamless uniform texture so UV mapping of meshes has to be done very carefully as well. As a matter of fact it's how debris fields in Texas are made. The other solution would be to use several overlapping fields because unlike nebula fields these can intersect just fine.

Static asteroid fields is a very interesting feature of Freelancer engine, it has simple mechanics and I think there many more uses to it other than its intended purpose, some of which you'll see in omicrons update and I hope you'll like them. Smile

RE: Treewyrm's Various Stuff - OllO - 07-15-2014

It's so, Perfect ..........*add The Illusive man voice from ME 3 plz Smile *

RE: Treewyrm's Various Stuff - Alhimik - 07-25-2014

Looks very nice, especyally nomad's effects and nebula, can you say - how are you do it? or can you give files with effects to me?

RE: Treewyrm's Various Stuff - SnakeLancerHaven - 09-22-2014

ALE effect on Nom Cruiser look like it could be Nomad Flaks o.O

RE: Treewyrm's Various Stuff - Treewyrm - 09-30-2014

ALE-XML Technical documentation

An addition to previous intro/tutorial into making custom particle effects in Freelancer. This is primarily an internal document for those already familiar with concepts and basics of coding custom effects, but it may be useful to other mod developers and provides more in-depth details on what each parameter really means (since element/attribute names in .ale.xml files are quite ambiguous), plus a few hidden and unused properties.

I'm not exactly sure whom here would find it useful, but just sharing for the sake of sharing knowledge rather than keeping it to myself.

p.s. Sorry folks, no pictures for now. Smile Teasers later.

RE: Treewyrm's Various Stuff - DragonLancer - 10-01-2014

Nicely figured out.
But asteroid fields are meant to be a visual feature.

While I'm out of of business, thanks for this sharing info.
Got some idea...

RE: Treewyrm's Various Stuff - Treewyrm - 03-08-2015

Been a while since I posted anything here. Let's fill up the emptiness.

RE: Treewyrm's Various Stuff - Lythrilux - 03-08-2015

omgwtfisthat

Good stuff (y)

RE: Treewyrm's Various Stuff - Chuba - 03-08-2015

add this stuff !!!

RE: Treewyrm's Various Stuff - pillow - 03-08-2015

i want
contrails
and that spikey battleship
I want to see those things for real.
Because that would be outright creepy up in Iota. D: