Discovery Gaming Community
Discovery spin-off , add-onn/balance packages - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Discovery spin-off , add-onn/balance packages (/showthread.php?tid=105345)

Pages: 1 2 3

Discovery spin-off , add-onn/balance packages - Govedo13 - 09-26-2013

Lets say hypothetically group of players make Discovery spin-off test server.
Sever with different PvP balance and different trading system.

In general many people does not agree with the the ways that official sever works.
Huge part of the community does not approve the current balance situation/development of the mod, every day there are many topics showing this.
I personally am quite bored to post in the balance topics looking for reason and idea behind some strange decisions that work against the mod future.

The only reason that many players still play in the official server is because it is the only sever that is half populated. This problems in the community created hackers and other people that sabotage the whole server and divide the playerbase.
At the same time the said unhappy people done nothing during the years to create their own better in their eyes server.
On the other side the current Dev team is understaffed but at the same time they does not actively recruit people. Those two things are self excluding paradox for me.

So we got in general 3 groups of players:
- 50% the one that left- about the half of the active players if we look the statistics
- 25% that agree with the current development of the mod
- 25% that does not agree with the current development of the mod

The Idea and the RP story of Discovery are quite good, but they need some fine-tuning and different type of balance that allows different type of gameplay.
So my questions would be about the ownership of the mod and about the ownership of the assets, how much of the content different servers are allowed to change?
Are the current Devs interested in creating alternative forms of PvP/Trading Balance for test purposes?
Are the current Devs willing to share more Development information that would speed up the process such as tutorials and similar?

I see a lot of small spin-offs created in the different servers but I never saw some different guns or ships in one for example or something done on proper level.
Is anyone interested at all of creating such test spin-off or most of the people have ideas and opinions but does not have the time/will/skills to change the situation? Because my impressions shows exactly this.

The purpose of this idea is to invest the lost energy in posting in various development topics without any visible effect and to try to create working balance (PvP and trading)
RP storyline is debatable and everyone have its own opinion and should be kept separated from the PvP/Trading balance.
So people would be able to put it on their own servers or even if the owners of the official server want to implement it they would be able to do so. I saw such packages in Total War series mods mostly called "Realism Mod".

Under Add-ons I understand that:
As add-on I mean if I and bunch of other players want for example to create POB based MK2 transport guns:
- that need a lot of different resources to be built
- that have better stats then the normal transport guns
- they take a lot of cargo
- are lost upon death
- the said guns have proper infocards/modells
- the said guns are ready to implement in the server via auto updater without any bugs

Then community approves the said guns, then the balance team check on them and fine-tune them not to be OP then the said guns should be implemented by the auto- updater without waiting 2 years for new mod version, without waiting for the balance team 8 months to check on them etc.
To sum it up:
More open development where the current mod owners and devs create rule based mechanism that allows the community to create mod content (read equipment and ships) that could be added quickly to the mod while they control the authority over the final balance and the RP story.
Community based development that works on tutorials and support from the people that have more experience in creating content instead of closed dev forums without any public open option from the community to participate in creating of the content. Community approval of the add-on via faction leader/moderator/admin vote where the faction leader,/SiC vote counts as 1 , the mod vote counts as 2 and admin vote counts as 5

What do you think about it?

RE: Discovery spin-off balance package - evanz - 09-26-2013

People who just want to pvp, go find a pvp server, people that want to trade/rp (and then depending on situation fight, if it needs to be done), stay in disco

RE: Discovery spin-off balance package - Govedo13 - 09-26-2013

What about the people that like to do both?
RP and PvP does not exclude each other, actually 99% of the freelancer PvP servers died or are almost dead because PvP only is boring.
However keep on topic the topic is not about RP it is about PvP/Trading balance and the need to divide it from the RP, because if we follow the RP only big part of small and unlawful factions wont be fun to play.
Gameplay needs balancing that excludes the RP background- example pirates having military grade ships and guns.
The idea about this post is to create specific balance packages that allows different groups of interest as shown above to be happy and to work together as community and concentrate their energy in creating stuff instead of criticize/abuse the already created stuff.

(09-26-2013, 12:50 PM)Govedo13 Wrote: What about the people that like to do both?

as i said, if the situation needs it, then it'll happen

situations that dont need it, are non rp players the ones that are 2mill or die idiots, similar to players that cap ship go kill a player base

disco has 3 types of players

traders

traders/pvp

pvp

i love disco have done for a few years now (4.85 when i started)

the issue i think is, different situations determine the outcome of whats happening at that moment, when player meets player

is it a player that is a 2 mill or die idiot, or someone that really has a role in his/her character and has a mission to playout that character within the server rules

most traders know the outcome when meeting a hostile, its either give some cash/cargo or get killed

pvp only players login for 1 reason only, and thats for blue messages and the thrill of a kill

me i'm more of a trader character

i don't pvp much, i assist my fellow faction members if needed, but i don't deliberately look for pvp, that's just my style

i think that it is balancing out more now with the 4.87 update for trader/pvp/hostiles

this i think and hope will improve with rp which is what this server is about

i think, if you can rp, as in get in you character your playing, you should be able to work a situation out,

eg

i was in a planetform shire, heading to planet cambridge, i met 3 corsairs, 2 snubs 1 gunboat, they stopped me, i spoke to them, we made a deal about me living and then coming back to give them some food and water from Planet cambridge, they said i was silly to do that and that i wasnt to be trusted, but i said "i keep my word" few mins later i came back to them, gave some food and water

it was ace rp, i loved it

(few mins later tho some baf showed up and walloped them)

i just watched

erm... what has this to do with your post

i forgot really, sorry

but i just thought that situations possibly similar to this can and will happen with the thought that now balancing between traders ships/guns/defences and pvp'ers that look for just a kill will be more equal

ok wheres me beer......

(09-26-2013, 12:59 PM)evanz Wrote: most traders know the outcome when meeting a hostile,
Ok. What if the trader does not know the outcome?
What if the trader have the chance to fight back and win versus the pirate if he decides to travel with 2/3 less cargo?
What if the blue msg is not so easy to get but at the same time quite costly for the one that dies?

That is what I mean under dull gameplay where one can predict what would happen after scanning someone else.
The gameplay could be quite dynamic and quite different actually if small changes are implemented. I wont go in detail here because it is not the purpose of the topic, I would rather ask you what you ideally expect from pirate trader encounter?
- to win on 100% as pirate?
- to win on 100% as trader? (sadly 4.87 case)
- unknown result due to variety of factors:
- skill
- specific equipment- you decide to loose 2/3 of your cargo in order to risk getting POB guns( taking a lot of cargo, packing a lot of punch and lost if you die) or you invested in fuel using POB-made scanner that scans the pirate at 8k so you can run away before he catches you?
- system type- you manage to hide in the nebula near you or the rocks prevent the pirate to use capitals
- specific ship loadouts- you decided to mount your anti-gb shield but you get attacked by bomber?
- same story for the pirate/policeman etc..
I hope you catch my line of thoughts now, note that all of those is quite possible with the mod assets available now.

ahhh thats my point aswell

to win 100% as trader or pirate, now that a trader and the pirate possible have a balanced setup that will come down to the rp and the skill of the pirate and trader, that is exactly how this server should be done

as i said youll never know how things will work out untill a player meets another player

they then in their minds work out what they should do

thats what this server is about

when you login, it depends on what your login in for

to pirate

to pvp

or to trade

so when you do, your choice of setup, is up to you, you never know what you'll meet down a lane or a jump hole

thats the risk/hope of what your choice of ship/setup is for

many times, ive logged in with a ship that, when i arrived at a location/situation i had the totally wrong setup/ship

its life

Well this wont work unless the current Devs does not change their working style allowing different individuals from the community to create add-ons for the game that could be implemented if the community approves it and if they see fit.
Or if the said individuals make spin-off server. I personally prefer option 1 because spin-off server would mean more problems then benefits.
The third option is to keep the game dull and let it die.

one thing that does annoy me, and something i just dont do, out of principle is

if i get killed , i dont logout and come back with a more powerfull ship to kill the player that got my trader/snub

thats also a problem with alot of players, its so obvious sometimes but nothing can be done about it

"Well this wont work unless the current Devs does not change their working style allowing different individuals from the community to create add-ons for the game that could be implemented if the community approves it and if they see fit.
Or if the said individuals make spin-off server. I personally prefer option 1 because spin-off server would mean more problems then benefits.
The third option is to keep the game dull and let it die. "

create add ons? in what way are you meaning?

if people want to make a spin off server then let them, disco will always be disco and be powered by devs that have for years tried and worked their asses off for a free game that people enjoy, go devs go, big respect!!!!

the game will only go dull, if your choice of playing will make it dull

it will only die when people give up on the idea of login in to Disco to have fun and time with friends and to discover the server, i see it as the devs make updates every couple of years to refresh DISCOVERING the systems/ships/rp/ideas

thats what this server is about

The cost of dieing could be a lot higher, especially in capital ship so people would think twice before going for such type of revenge kill.

As add-on I mean if I and bunch of other players want for example to create POB based MK2 transport guns:
- that need a lot of different resources to be built
- that have better stats then the normal transport guns
- they take a lot of cargo
- are lost upon death
- the said guns have proper infocards/modells
- the said guns are ready to implement in the server via auto updater without any bugs

Then community approves the said guns, then the balance team check on them and fine-tune them not to be OP then the said guns should be implemented by the auto- updater without waiting 2 years for new mod version, without waiting for the balance team 8 months to check on them etc.
To sum it up:
More open development where the current mod owners and devs create rule based mechanism that allows the community to create mod content (read equipment and ships) that could be added quickly to the mod while they control the authority over the final balance and the RP story.
Community based development that works on tutorials and support from the people that have more experience in creating content instead of closed dev forums without any public open option from the community to participate in creating of the content.