Discovery Gaming Community
To: Comandate Luke Orsini-Contari | The Contari Lance High Command - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Role-Playing (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Communication Channel (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+--- Thread: To: Comandate Luke Orsini-Contari | The Contari Lance High Command (/showthread.php?tid=105425)

To: Comandate Luke Orsini-Contari | The Contari Lance High Command - Squad - 09-29-2013

[Image: 2myclfk.png]

Comandante Orsini and the Honorable Contari Lance High Command,

I bring you good tidings from Freeport 10. Before I continue with this transmission, I must thank you for the opportunity to carry on discussions with the 101st. Signore Sabitov was both firm and understanding, but I believe airing our grievances and proposed ideas to move the Nación forward was an invaluable opportunity. Additionally, I and the Lance owe a particular debt of gratitude to the Commonwealth for hosting us. Not only did they go out of their way to welcome us, but in light of certain intervening forces, they kept us safe to continue our discussions unmolested. This I know I will personally never forget.

After several hours of discussion, Signore Sabitov and Kelly, Unit 087, made clear the Ghosts’ stances on sensitive issues. I believe many have relaxed since their first demands, and in light of their place within the Nación, some may be acceptable. As the Nación’s oldest military force, I believe they are entitled to maintain exclusive jurisdiction of sensitive military areas within Omicron-85, particularly Corsica and the Dreadnought Captana. Given their importance, I believe it would be proper to recognize the Ghosts’ exclusive right to determine docking and access rights as well as to determine applicable law for the upper Siniestre Cloud and Carinea. This control, however, would not restrict civilian access to other areas of the system or Omicron Eta.

The Ghosts have been amicable, in light of the foregoing conditions and in accordance with policy previously transmitted by Unit 087, to recognize that all legislative and other civil processes be under the guise of the Council of Dons.

The almost singular point of difficulty arose regarding the Ghosts’ stated right of veto. It was unclear at several points whether this demand included any decision of “military significance” or a clear right of veto over declarations of war and peace. Based on the following transmissions, I am assuming the latter controls, as the former would be over-broad and unacceptable, possibly encompassing any decision the Council would make depending on attendant circumstances.

As to the right of veto for declarations, I propose the following compromise. The Ghosts will retain their veto over those two actions by taking their seat on the Council of Dons. As these determinations must be made unanimously, the Ghosts, while limiting their involvement on the Council to these events, will retain a veto of those events. Signore Sabitov was adamant about relinquishing control over civilian matters, abhorring involvement in such decisions. However, declarations of war and peace are traditionally pure civil matters, and at the same time, as the traditional service arm of the Nación, their experience and analysis should be brought to the Council and shared with its members during such deliberations.

Though the practical effect of allowing a veto in this way is the same as stated in their previous demands, this differing method is politically significant. Should a decision to declare war be effectively vetoed by an organization, and particularly the military, entirely separate from the Council, it undermines the Council’s authority and demonstrates to the Nación’s enemies that it is yet divided. In many ways, such a structure would serve merely as a formalization of the current state of affairs. By having the 101st exercise their veto within the Council, the Nación would speak with one voice “yay” or “nay.” I believe the differing political consequences of such alternative situations cannot be understated.

Concerning exercise of the veto itself, I have been reassured in my discussions with Signore Sabitov that in those instances where the Nación is threatened, the Ghosts will be there to defend her. Declarations are harsh, rare determinations that should only be considered when there is a direct threat to Malta’s sovereign territories. In such instances, the need to declare war would not be in doubt. Otherwise, laws governing access to Maltese space or rights of those within her territories would be left properly to the Council.

Finally, it must be stated that these discussions or proposals are unofficial and my analysis that of but a single member of the Lance. Yet I believe this can be turned into a proper framework allowing the Lance and the 101st to end this conflict and unifying the Nación once more in these dangerous times.

I thank you for your consideration and this opportunity. I live to serve the Lance and the Nación.

Para la gloria de la Nación

Mansel Alcantra

[Image: 530orc.png]