Discovery Gaming Community
EVE Online - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Real Life Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Thread: EVE Online (/showthread.php?tid=105559)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: EVE Online - Thargoid - 10-03-2013

Don't really like the sound of it now...

Might get the free trial, but you need at least 3 friends? I'd much rather have the option of being able to play it solo at least.

And months? Pfffft! I bought my first train after like a week of powertrading here and could have bought a BS a week later if I really wanted one, but I got bored of trading and bought a bomber. Don't wanna spend months just grinding to buy a ship and then lose it coz some lolwut blew it up...

RE: EVE Online - Tankman - 10-03-2013

I was considering playing EVE for awhile but then I heard about the fact that you loose your ship on death. Then I heard about the grinding to get to a half-decent ship.

I just went lolnope...

RE: EVE Online - SystemsFailing - 10-03-2013

I see that many rely on SC much. I'd advice you to not. Imo, it will be a failure.
What can be said about EvE: It's not right to compare it with FL since it's more RTS-like than simulator. Game is very hard-to-learn, requires much of your time, as was said above. You'd need to buy 1-2 months before you can start playing it for free. Some manage to buy PLEX during trial, though. And yes, you don't need much time to master Frigates, they are the smallest craft but very agile (especially Minmathar ones), bunch of them can burn things fast. Choosing your class more depends on your tastes, I'd say.
The interesting thing is that EvE was released few months later after FL. Due to great devteam it keeps being the most interesting MMO around, if you've ever played it, you'd understand me.
Reading about it's history and local features will make you interested, I'm sure.

RE: EVE Online - Junes - 10-03-2013

A part of me would love to blurt out 'EVE sucks', but I'm not legitimately allowed to do so because I, too, did never play it.

Gonna second the advice of some people here: Wait for Star Citizen, it's going have amounts of cool, awesome and breathtaking you could never imagine even in your dreams. [/fanboyism]

(10-03-2013, 10:09 PM)Junes Wrote: A part of me would love to blurt out 'EVE sucks', but I'm not legitimately allowed to do so because I, too, did never play it.

Gonna second the advice of some people here: Wait for Star Citizen, it's going have amounts of cool, awesome and breathtaking you could never imagine even in your dreams. [/fanboyism]

Or you could grab a SC package and just run around in the Hanger Module Tongue

(10-03-2013, 09:49 PM)Tankman Wrote: I was considering playing EVE for awhile but then I heard about the fact that you loose your ship on death. Then I heard about the grinding to get to a half-decent ship.

I just went lolnope...

Ships are not that expensive, alsou, there is insurance service, which will help you once you get destroyed.
There's no grinding as you probably expect it is. The most important things there are skills. Once you buy a skill-book (they usually cost nearly nothing), you spend real time for this concrete skill to be learned. Lets say, first lvl will take 20 minutes to learn, 2nd - hour, 3rd - 24 hours, 4th - 50 hours and so on. But noone says that you have to stay in game for skills to be learned, you just pick a pack of skills you want and launch the learning process, after that you quit the game and do whatever you want for desired time.

(10-03-2013, 10:20 PM)SystemsFailing Wrote:
(10-03-2013, 09:49 PM)Tankman Wrote: I was considering playing EVE for awhile but then I heard about the fact that you loose your ship on death. Then I heard about the grinding to get to a half-decent ship.

I just went lolnope...

Ships are not that expensive, alsou, there is insurance service, which will help you once you get destroyed.
There's no grinding as you probably expect it is. The most important things there are skills. Once you buy a skill-book (they usually cost nearly nothing), you spend real time for this concrete skill to be learned. Lets say, first lvl will take 20 minutes to learn, 2nd - hour, 3rd - 24 hours, 4th - 50 hours and so on. But noone says that you have to stay in game for skills to be learned, you just pick a pack of skills you want and launch the learning process, after that you quit the game and do whatever you want for desired time.

No grinding to get a ship and easy skills? Then why does it still take around a month to get a small ship?

Your reports are inconsistent with the stories from players I have heard.

(10-03-2013, 10:09 PM)Junes Wrote: A part of me would love to blurt out 'EVE sucks', but I'm not legitimately allowed to do so because I, too, did never play it.

Not sure there will be something as intriguing as Freelancer's lore. Ah no, there won't be for sure. Ancient races, exploring spirit... (Remember how you made your pants brown when Nomad Gates appeared before you for the first time? Jokie.)

Quote:No grinding to get a ship and easy skills? Then why does it still take around a month to get a small ship?

Your reports are inconsistent with the stories from players I have heard.

Look at this page and tell me what you consider small: http://www.itcouldsaveyourlife.com/eve-ship-comparison/
Once you start new character, you get your first frigate. Your future path is only chosen by yourself: your craft, equipment, activity, corporation, alliances and so on.
Just go and try it out. I did month ago, as I remember.

(10-03-2013, 10:30 PM)SystemsFailing Wrote: Look at this page and tell me what you consider small: http://www.itcouldsaveyourlife.com/eve-ship-comparison/
I kinda misphrased that, I mean a ship that is a couple upgrades up and can actually do something besides fly around and do nothing.

Also I think that the first ship is actually a shuttle...