Discovery Gaming Community
Bullet Trains - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Bullet Trains (/showthread.php?tid=106907)

Pages: 1 2

Bullet Trains - lIceColon - 11-06-2013

I've been known for coming up with great ideas, but here's my best idea to date!

I used to play a fb game called airline manager, and in it you could buy airplanes and set up routes for them to fly, and then they make you pixel money which you can use to buy more airplanes.

You'd think that the most expensive civil airliner in the game would be the A380, but since it is a game, the Concorde/Tupolev ripoff equivalent was also available (for a much higher cost). Now the game didn't really have variable ticket prices at the time being a FB game n all, plus Concorde doesn't have the largest passenger capacity, but it made up for it by being fast (like a republican).

So I was thinking, why not give disco a Concorde class transport of its own? (You can think of a few recent ship model submissions or un-used non-imports that could fit this role)

Concorde class transport ships would distinguish themselves from freighters by being at least dessie sized and having around 600-2400 cargo, as well as distinguish themselves from any other ships by having a speed multiplier on trade lanes, having the fastest cruise speed of any purchasable ship- perhaps between 600-1000 or something (by refusing it CMs, it would be perfectly CDable if you put your mind to it). But they would be relatively fragile and defenseless, about as maneuverable as your mother and very, very shiny (in terms of costing a lot of very shiny credits), as well as somehow being just as profitable as any 3-5 ker in the hands of a capable pilot.

These bullet trains could increase server activity as the reduction in travel times will prevent players from AFKing, and add some variety to trading so not just the usual snailin on a 5 k'er staring into slowly enlarging distant planets, and generally be really cool.

ofc any bullet train is slower than a jump trader, but then again not everyone has jumping equipment, plus jumping = no rp, so bullet train is a nice idea, discuss.

RE: Bullet Trains - Tankman - 11-06-2013

I like the idea but it's not very balanced. I get that it would be weaker than a transport and be less maneuverable, but having a cruise speed almost 2 times the normal is a bit OP.

Maybe make them have twice the cruise charge time and half the impulse speed. I think a special CD to counter these transports would be in order as well.

RE: Bullet Trains - lIceColon - 11-06-2013

Buff the reinforced cruise disruptor's speed to sth like 1500 - its so expensive anyways

RE: Bullet Trains - Trogdor - 11-06-2013

Uhh.. probably not a good idea.

If you make the ship move faster thru tradelanes, it will, by definition, move faster thru tradelanes. That means any ship unfortunate enough to be ahead of you is going to get rammed by a very large, very fast-moving object. Whether or not that would do damage to either ship I'm not sure, but it might not even matter. Just the fact that it'll happen means this probably isnt a good feature.

And if you can't make it faster in tradelanes, its extra cruise speed isnt going to make up for the fact that it carries half as much cargo as a normal transport.

(11-06-2013, 10:12 AM)Trogdor Wrote: Uhh.. probably not a good idea.

If you make the ship move faster thru tradelanes, it will, by definition, move faster thru tradelanes. That means any ship unfortunate enough to be ahead of you is going to get rammed by a very large, very fast-moving object. Whether or not that would do damage to either ship I'm not sure, but it might not even matter. Just the fact that it'll happen means this probably isnt a good feature.

And if you can't make it faster in tradelanes, its extra cruise speed isnt going to make up for the fact that it carries half as much cargo as a normal transport.

I see it useful for those mining runs to Humboldt (or any similarly situated system).

RE: Bullet Trains - Druen78 - 11-06-2013

Nah you just want a fast transport so you can avoid using lanes and never get pirated Wink

(11-06-2013, 11:12 AM)Druen78 Wrote: Nah you just want a fast transport so you can avoid using lanes and never get pirated Wink

Honestly I much prefer my Stork for trading, I would only use this ship for those runs out to the middle of nowhere.

600 speed on cruise doesn't make TL's obsolete at all, and a smart pirate will CD you head-on.

RE: Bullet Trains - Druen78 - 11-06-2013

I wasn't referring to you, but th the guy that suggested the idea (and who incidentally proposed a cruise speed up to 1000): with that speed, I'd be able to move off the plane and/or in the empty parts of the systems without dying of boredom, using almost exclusively jump holes, basically being where a pirate would never look for a trader. Just NO. I don't like being pirated, but pirates need to play as well Smile

(11-06-2013, 11:50 AM)Druen78 Wrote: I wasn't referring to you, but th the guy that suggested the idea (and who incidentally proposed a cruise speed up to 1000): with that speed, I'd be able to move off the plane and/or in the empty parts of the systems without dying of boredom, using almost exclusively jump holes, basically being where a pirate would never look for a trader. Just NO. I don't like being pirated, but pirates need to play as well Smile
(11-06-2013, 08:11 AM)lIceColon Wrote: having the fastest cruise speed of any purchasable ship- perhaps between 600-1000

[Image: berneydidnotread.gif?1318992465]

RE: Bullet Trains - lIceColon - 11-06-2013

Druen78 Wrote:...

Druen, I'll point you towards my brand new siggy.

(11-06-2013, 10:12 AM)Trogdor Wrote: If you make the ship move faster thru tradelanes, it will, by definition, move faster thru tradelanes. That means any ship unfortunate enough to be ahead of you is going to get rammed by a very large, very fast-moving object.
Ideally, fix tradelanes, ie. temporarily make ships immortal while for the duration inside the tradelanes. I've had enough of getting nearly murdered inside tradelanes everytime I enter it in close proximity to another ship anyways.