Discovery Gaming Community
Randomizing Wrecks - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Randomizing Wrecks (/showthread.php?tid=10750)

Pages: 1 2

Randomizing Wrecks - GaryStargazer - 07-27-2008

Is it possible to randomize the wrecks? since people tend to camp on them or even some hackers purposly crashing the server to get to them, how possible would it be to make it so wrecks randomly move at each restart?

Even leaving them in the same system but making it spawn randomly within that system would do wonders to deture wreck camping.

this may of been suggested already not sure since i didnt want to comb through 65 pages of suggestions.

Randomizing Wrecks - Seth Karlo - 07-28-2008

Not possible at all. Wrecks are about as movable as bases or planets. It would require a new mod every time.

Randomizing Wrecks - Telbasta - 07-28-2008

' Wrote:Not possible at all. Wrecks are about as movable as bases or planets. It would require a new mod every time.

I think he means what each wreck drops, not the wreck itself.

Like, when you kill npcs, they have a 'chance' to drop certain weapons and equipment. Sometimes they drop guns or thrusters, sometimes they dont.

I dont know if it's possible to do the same thing with wrecks though...

Randomizing Wrecks - old.steel - 07-28-2008

It is possible to change serversided the wreck's contents dynamically with a script for example.

Randomizing Wrecks - GaryStargazer - 07-28-2008

originally i was saying randomize their location but yea randomizing the loot they drop would work too .... but that would also mean certain wrecks would no longer make sense, like a kusari wreck droping liberty guns etc ...

Randomizing Wrecks - AdamantineFist - 07-28-2008

If we at least randomized the chances of them dropping codes, then that would be good.

Randomizing Wrecks - GaryStargazer - 07-28-2008

thats what im thinking, codes should be this super rare thing, not camp in a spot waiting on the server to crash or restart to hoard them.

Randomizing Wrecks - Seth Karlo - 07-28-2008

Hmmm, not sure. The wreck is Source code I think...If it is, we can't change it.:(

Randomizing Wrecks - Telbasta - 07-28-2008

' Wrote:Hmmm, not sure. The wreck is Source code I think...If it is, we can't change it.:(

If it were source code, we wouldnt have new wrecks in the non-vanilla systems would we?

Randomizing Wrecks - Athenian - 07-28-2008

' Wrote:thats what im thinking, codes should be this super rare thing, not camp in a spot waiting on the server to crash or restart to hoard them.

Ah yes, how Disco should be. Welcome aboard.

There are so many players on the server that anything at all that is perceived to provide an advantage in combat will end up finding its way into the market. Even if only one wreck produced one code you would still find them all over the place.

Whether or not codes do provide an advantage is another thing - you have to be able to aim first. In the SP FL codes were great....against stupid npc's - they dont help much against wily players who know how to use things like the SN cannon or nuke mines and CD's in tandem to such good effect.

There are so many codes flying around that I've decided that the only way to justify them is by saying that I make them. Yes, all the codes everyone is using must have been acquired illegally from our R&D facility in New London. I will be starting a registration thread shortly.