Discovery Gaming Community
Mono no aware - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Role-Playing (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Stories and Biographies (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+--- Thread: Mono no aware (/showthread.php?tid=107692)

Mono no aware - Chrysalis - 11-23-2013

Another blood splattered day, another handful of lives claimed, seemingly lost never to return. Removed out of the ever shifting equation, leaving an empty spot to be filled by some others, that will suffer the same fate tomorrow.

And the grand game of war continues perpetually, the one endowed with the skills necessary to slay and survive will continue to do so, removing lives until the day his match is met and his own existance ended in return.

It is only a matter of when.

"Is it chance or fate? I can never truly decide..." - Hirotada whispered under his breath, as he rearranged the many items on his desk, comfortably sitting in his leather chair.

He reached for his glass of whiskey and brought it to the height of his eyes, swung it around for a bit, gazing into the swirling liquid before brining it to his mouth for a sip.

A small frown appeared on his face as he took his time to savor the bittersweat pleasure the drink provided, before looking left, through the large glass window, onto the flickering lights of Kyoto's towers.

RE: Mono no aware - Chrysalis - 11-23-2013

Watching the video-logs of the last Sakura festival of 321 A.S, Hirotada could not help but notice Hideyoshi's confident and calm composure, as he walked through the crowd down the walkway to his Palace.

Surrounded with the blooming cherry canopies and people cheering his name, he waved and smiled, content and proud, consumed by the beauty of the entire celebration, unaware of his impending doom.

Hirotada could only imagine and dream about that particular moment, the scents, the sounds and the perpetual feeling...mono no aware, the sensitivity and understanding of all things alive, the true unchangeable face of reality.

Hirotada took a deep breath and turned the video log off, right before the manor AI announced - "Watanabe-sama, Hatamoto Riekon is here to see you, just as you requested."

"Very well. Undo the locks, Ikazuchi, let him in." - He uttered as he regained his composure and placed his hands onto his desk.

RE: Mono no aware - Izu Riekon - 11-30-2013

As the AI allowed entry to the manor Izu wondered again what was troubling Hirotada-san. He had become more relaxed now after spending more time with the Shogun in his duties more recently as one of the Hatamoto and had learned somewhat of the uncomfortable advances as many of the higher-standing nobles pushed their daughters promptly in the Shogun's direction as he had gained strength and influence in the eyes of his people.

A compliment, no doubt. But one that would take up much of Hirotada's time as he delicately declined or sited other concerns at the time as not to infuriate or insult any of the houses. Izu had no such worry, spending much of his time avoiding such situations out in space on patrols and, more recently, a command or two in some more important matters.

As Izu entered he respectfully bowed, then making eye contact as he rose. He could see something was on Hirotada's mind, his face etched with deep lines betraying one of his years.

"My Shogun, what is it you wish of me?" he said the words spoken so many time before. Rarely the Shogun would ask Hatamoto for advice on tactical concerns from those he deemed fluent in such things. To be in such a position was to be considered a great privilege. Was this one of those times?

RE: Mono no aware - Chrysalis - 11-30-2013

Hirotada stood up slowly and bowed his head slightly in a gesture of acknowledgement and respect, one that a man in his position could afford.

"Take a seat, please." - he gestured his hand towards the empty seat on the opposite side of his office desk, and eyed Izu as he made himself comfortable, and then took a seat himself.

He grabbed an empty glass, poured a reasonable ammount of liquid from his already open bottle and slided it over to Izu, all in one set of fluid and well-rehearsed motions. He rose his own glass slightly above his head before taking a sip. "To the cause..." - he uttered as he grimaced, savoring the rough aftertaste.

"I'm sure you've already noticed that I have been setting several reforms into motion..." - he paused as he reclined in his leather chair and tented his fingers. - "Reforms, that will hopefully end this era of stagnation and division our order is going through..."

"Trade deals, alliances and pacts...all leading to, what I hope, will be a prosperous age for the order, the final proof of our claim and the effectiveness of the true Kusari way." - he paused and stood up, grabbing his remote and using it to slide down a section of the wall behind him down, allowing the artificial lights of Kyoto's cityscape to light up his otherwise dark and shadowy office.

"The bitterness and lust for vengeance, though justified, has hindered our sense of progress. We cannot let the essence of true Kusari be overshadowed by such traits, instead, we should further nurture the ingenuity, unity and compassion to all things that are, the qualities that defined the age of the now, sleeping Dai Kusari Bakufu..."
- he paced left and right as he spoke, ocassionaly glancing over to Izu.

"Regardless..." - he stopped himself from going into an endless monologue, as he usually does, from fear of boring his companion to death - "The time has come, Hatamoto. The time when true Kusari will be reborn here and now. I have decided to end the dissent of the clans once and for all, and proclaim the next Kyoto Bakufu, the sapling that will in time grow to consume and replace the decadent and corrupt Republic, restoring what once was..."

He took a deep breath and sat down into his chair again, returning to his original position, then locking eyes with Izu. - "However, I cannot do it alone. There are those who wish me to fail, those, that for whatever misbeggoten reason continually hinder and sabotage the progress of the dragons from within."

"Unacceptable." - he stated as his expression took on a more serious form. - "To combat them, and make my job easier, I will need personal advisors. Those who would be brave and capable enough to take up the mantle of Daimyo, to stand by my side as utterly loyal blades and compassionate friends...my right and left hands..."

He leaned in closer and narrowed his eyes. - "I want you to be one of them. Decide now, for I will not ask again."

RE: Mono no aware - Izu Riekon - 12-01-2013

Izu knew Hirotada was right and nodded his head several times as he spoke. Many of the Blood Dragons had grown complacent over time and in doing so an abscess had been created in their society that allowed in the stagnation and petty infighting that the Shogun now spoke of. It was true that many had attempted to threaten his position with flimsy claims to power, calling themselves Shogun of this family and that, but they had all ungracefully scrambled, like ants climbing over each other, and in doing so had weakened their position so much they would go full circle and get nowhere.

The Watanabe were different. There had been no desperate scrambling, only strategic and graceful strengthening of the position they were rightfully entitled to. The appropriate method had drawn respect and loyalty, and this is what had brought Hirotada to the point he was at now. The tipping point of respect, of power amongst the Dragons. He suddenly felt a compelling urge to stand and kneel and did so promptly.

"Of course I will accept. Anything you will Hirotada-san, it will be done. You have my complete loyalty. It will be my honour to serve you as Daimyo." He stood again and backed into his chair sitting quickly, internally stunned by the sudden escalation of the conversation. He paused, leaving a window for Hirotada to say more.

RE: Mono no aware - Chrysalis - 12-07-2013

"Good." - He said with a faint smile appearing on his face. He nodded several times and then offered a single half-bow to Izu, his hands firmly by his side.

"You have done me proud many times over, my friend. I hope you will continue to do so at your new position as well."

With that said, he simply sat back down and reclined into his chair. Tenting his fingers he looked around before speaking again. - "Drink now, for tomorrow, you will lead a part of our struggle. Death to our foes, and fortune to our friends."

He raised his glass once more before drinking - "Long live the Blood Dragons."