Discovery Gaming Community
Space is dangerous (?) - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Space is dangerous (?) (/showthread.php?tid=108147)

Pages: 1 2

Space is dangerous (?) - Karst - 12-01-2013

So recently, I decided to try and harvest GOLDEN BLADE for the first time.
As I flew into that cloud, I was already nervous - nomad npcs were spawning, andI knew there was a large planet in there that I wouldn't see until I nearly hit it.
So I nearly had a heart attack when I saw my ship's hull, melted away in seconds by that insane radiation damage.
The sort of effect the neutron star in Omega-41 had when I first encountered it in vanilla.

Another example was the Privas planetary cluster. Sure, it was a bit silly, but the fact that approaching it was instantly lethal made me keep a respectful distance at all times.

The thing is though, I love stuff like that. These are the sort of features that make space, and the far Omicrons in particular, seem as hostile and dangerous to the casual explorer as they should.

I firmly believe that traveling in the Edge worlds should require more than F2 and alt+tab. That there are features so dangerous that they make you feel uncomfortable even at a safe distance. That feeling of dread: "Okay, I really don't like this place. Down on bots, that place looks terrifying, I'm getting out of here!"
And in turn, the feeling of relief when finally making it to some remote Freeport.

I know this is sort of vague as a suggestion, but I'm wondering if I'm alone in wishing for more of this thing, extremely high radiation areas, very dense asteroid fields, deadly planets and anomalies lurking in opaque clouds, more nomads with CDs, etc.
Stuff that makes all those warnings NPCs give us of people never returning from these places seem genuine.

RE: Space is dangerous (?) - Lythrilux - 12-01-2013

Nomad battleship spawning everywhere!
In all seriousness, I do agree with you karst. space should be dangerous.
However, we don't want to turn off people from visiting the Omicrons, because it's so dangerous.
So how do we get the best of both worlds? We make trips to the omicrons worthwhile: high risk high profit trade routes.

RE: Space is dangerous (?) - Highland Laddie - 12-01-2013

I think space not just in the Omicrons should be dangerous as well. There are certainly areas that could benefit from "danger"

RE: Space is dangerous (?) - Karst - 12-01-2013

To elaborate, I wouldn't want travel through the Omicrons to be impossible without taking massive damage, as this would be extremely annoying for Nomads, Core and Order that spend all their time there.

Just that there should be more really dangerous regions that the unprepared won't make it out of alive.

Edit: And yes, I agree this shouldn't be limited to just the Omicrons.
Generally areas that by lore are supposed to be dangerous, should be in game as well.

RE: Space is dangerous (?) - kikatsu - 12-01-2013

This is kind of a neat idea, would be cool to see. I would also suggest increasing the number of wrecks in the Omicrons and said dangerous areas as well.

RE: Space is dangerous (?) - Yber - 12-01-2013

Spawn tachyon with a terrorist ID in every system.

RE: Space is dangerous (?) - Curios - 12-01-2013

And I though we meant to meet with hostile players (

RE: Space is dangerous (?) - Thargoid - 12-01-2013

I say bring make some high profit trade routes that go through the Omicrons, this will increase indie Nomad activity, thus increasing danger.

Playing an indie Nomad is rather boring, you wait 30 minutes between encounters and it takes forever to travel between systems due to the lack or trade lanes.

Why increase NPC spawns? How boring, increasing player activity should be the main goal.

Maybe also make a special armour for factions that reside in the Omicrons, that is only mountable my certain IDs, that massively lowers, or even fully protects against radiation damage.

RE: Space is dangerous (?) - Trogdor - 12-02-2013

You had me until you said more asteroid fields.

RE: Space is dangerous (?) - Highland Laddie - 12-02-2013

Some areas with more dense asteroids would be fine.

But I agree. It would be nice to have an actual reason to go to the Omicrons just aside from "sight seeing."

1-2 decent commodities being BOUGHT in the Omicrons, with hauling Iridium back on the return trip might give some folks a good reason to go out there.

What about Luxury Goods and Luxury Food?