Discovery Gaming Community
Delete Bastille - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Delete Bastille (/showthread.php?tid=108399)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Delete Bastille - Coin - 12-06-2013

No, I haven't gone mad. Honest.

I was thinking that instead of dumping people in an oubliette for a week or two, we could impose other kinds of penalties, before players are jailed.

current situation.

player messes up. wrong role play, wrong docking location, whatever. at the moment, they are dumped into bastille, and we lose their activity (such as it was), and they are also impoverished - there are better and faster ways to learn.

suggestion.

rule breakers are given 1% nerfs for a period of time. this may involve the creation of a 'you're not the messiah, you're just a very naughty boy' type of ID, which can only be removed after the period of time has been served. Of course, posting in the sanction thread with 'this is what i should have done' would mean that their sentence can be reduced.

implications.

the recidivists can still be punished in the usual way, but this would enable first time offenders to demonstrate that they have learnt from the experience.

a 1% nerf means that you basically roleplay or die

RE: Delete Bastille - Thyrzul - 12-06-2013

What would ensure the sanctionee won't unmount said Sanction Nerf ID and remount an other one?

RE: Delete Bastille - sindroms - 12-06-2013

Admins should delete stuff.

Not playing a game for a few days and coming back to it is not really a punishment. It only means the person is playing something else.
Deleting time and effort you put into something, now that is a punishment.

RE: Delete Bastille - Thyrzul - 12-06-2013

I'd rather reserve deletion for more serious and repeated offenses.

RE: Delete Bastille - Thargoid - 12-06-2013

(12-06-2013, 09:14 AM)sindroms Wrote: Admins should delete stuff.

Not playing a game for a few days and coming back to it is not really a punishment. It only means the person is playing something else.
Deleting time and effort you put into something, now that is a punishment.

It is a punishment, when I started playing EVE I was banned for 10 days (don't ask), even though I could play other games, I wanted to play EVE, nothing else was good enough (at the time, as I'd just started playing it, and was in the addiction phase).

Then, when my ban was revoked, I started playing again, but was really unmotivated and couldn't really be bothered with it.

I don't play EVE much anymore, if I hadn't have been banned from playing within my first week, I'd probably be playing it a lot more.

So yeah, banning players completely when they first start playing, means they may lose all motivation for the game coz they think "I'll just be banned again, what's the point?", or they just move onto something else and don't bother coming back at all.

RE: Delete Bastille - sindroms - 12-06-2013

You know, on reflection, if such bannings make people leave and all....

Is it a bad thing?

I see those people raging in their sanction threads, badmouthing everyone, going totally psycho. Imho, good riddance. Such sanctions filter out people, who are too emotionally weak to play Disco.

RE: Delete Bastille - Zayne Carrick - 12-06-2013

Release my Barge from Bastille now!

RE: Delete Bastille - Thargoid - 12-06-2013

(12-06-2013, 09:30 AM)sindroms Wrote: You know, on reflection, if such bannings make people leave and all....

Is it a bad thing?

I see those people raging in their sanction threads, badmouthing everyone, going totally psycho. Imho, good riddance. Such sanctions filter out people, who are too emotionally weak to play Disco.

Love to see some of those people play EVE...

"YOU BLEW UP MY BATTLESHIT!!!!!!!, I SELL PLEX FROM REEAL MONEY TO BUY THAT AND YOU BLEW IT UP I HATE YOU DIE OF CANCER I HOPE YOU GET AIDS < FALL OF A CLIFF YOU SCUM SDT£$%%W$^546£%$"£$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

"I BUY ANOTHER PLEX FOR $15 AND PUT ALL MONEY FROM PLEX ON BOUNTY FOR YOUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"$132" (// bounties are pretty much pointless in EVE)

Standard...

Take this fine specimen for example: LINK

Wishes another player DEATH, yes, DEATH, because they scam people in a computer game for virtual money.

RE: Delete Bastille - Kazinsal - 12-06-2013

(12-06-2013, 09:30 AM)sindroms Wrote: You know, on reflection, if such bannings make people leave and all....

Is it a bad thing?

One thing I've noticed is that people who are banned permanently get angry and try to seek revenge.

People who are simply banned for a discouragingly long time just give up and leave.

RE: Delete Bastille - Trogdor - 12-06-2013

Is it a bad thing?

Yes, because you are totally someone who is a good example for others and also a good judge of who we do and don't want in the community. -.-

Simply put I would rather see the server full of non-roleplaying lolwuts, than see an empty server. Whatever punishments are handed out, we need to avoid doing anything that drives players away from the community, except for the most egregious of offenses.

I don't think the powercore nerf is a good idea... we do have IDs like this, that do different things (criminal ID), but they are never used.