Discovery Gaming Community
Planets: How to encorporate them more into gameplay - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Planets: How to encorporate them more into gameplay (/showthread.php?tid=108592)

Pages: 1 2

Planets: How to encorporate them more into gameplay - Binski - 12-10-2013

Planets, why are they pretty much useless?

With exception to the few colonized habitable worlds that serve as bases, they are basically just nice looking obstacles.

So I'm reminded of Star Trek Armada II, where the planets are usable for minable resources like ore. In that they set up orbital mini bases that suck the ore from the planet.

So how about this? Make 'patches' of the planet minable, and add an /orbit command so you can enter into geosyncronous orbit around a planet and stay with that patch. Then you fire at it the same way you would in an ore field. But it might only have a finite amount of ore, once its dry you move to the next patch (which replenishes over time like ore fields). Yes, this would require surveying of planets and recording of minable coordinates. This could allow even for multiple types of resources being minable from a planet. You might have IMG and GMG at the same planet, one looking for ore, the other gas pockets. Food, water and oxygen could also be added to this mix. Gas giants could be used to extract more exotic commodities as well.

Another option would be to introduce a 2nd type of POB that would basically serve as a storage tank, like outside many npc bases we all see often. You could set authorization commands to who can fill it with or or not, and set it in orbit around a minable planet. Yes it would be destoyable, but cheap. You may only deploy it temporarily, fill it, sell your ore to buyers, then abandon it. If its cheap enough to construct they can be used as permanent or semi-permanent structures.

This would probably work best once the regular POB's come back, maybe they could just be deployable like current weapons platforms are.

Regardless, it would make for locating minable planets, surveying them, and keeping your discoveries secret to protect your operation viable gameplay, and/or selling the info to miners and shippers.

There are countless planets that could become potential gold rush territory (maybe literally). Some of those far out planets people rarely ever fly by more than once could become new centers for mining and shipping. Once POB's are back it would be even better.

And RP wise, this would make claiming and protecting planets stimulation for story. All of a sudden, factions would be out to survey the planets in their territory, and the ones less guarded may change hands. Get a good set up POB over a planet and its pretty much claimed. It would require a siege to remove it. And if its over a planet with billions worth of ore or potential fuel, it would be worth fighting over.

And of course, to promote planets being encouraged to be included more, mining bonus from ore fields could dip just a tad.

New lines would form within systems and whole new conflicts, settlements and peace efforts would all include who gets what, or who can take what by force.

A good example might be Omicron Lost and Planet Moros, a pretty much useless system, beautiful as it is, with one lone gas giant. Nice to visit, but its a dead end system. There is no reason to go there, and certainly little chance for anything epic to happen out there. If suddenly you could extract alien organisms there, helium, heck even make up new commodities for it, it may actually get some use and attract people out there for some deep space expiditions. It may also influence political activities. How would the Order feel about new settlers to the region? How would they deal with the Nomad threat out there?

I'm sure everyone can think of some good places that are getting little attention. Personally I'd like to make some crazy stuff available in hard to get to places. Planet Olympus would also be ideal for adding platinum or Nobium to. All of a sudden you'd have reason to establish a far out base to extract a distant, but valuable and rare substance.

The most important planets, which would be designed to be obvious magnets for activity, in more accessable and populated areas, would then become subject to regional powers. What if the GRN discovered valuable resources on Planet Waterford in Leeds. I think it would be stimuli for them to build a POB to defend it, before the BAF moves back in and sets one up of their own. This would allow for factions to claim areas and planets even with the same system in order to establish contested areas and ever changing front lines.

So is this too crazy? Too much work? I think it would add a whole new aspect to the game and increase interactivity, bringing more opporunities in game to accumulate wealth. More shipping, more business, more politics, and more chances for those swashbucklers to get in on the action too Wink

RE: Planets: How to encorporate them more into gameplay - Lonely_Ghost - 12-12-2013

In general, I like the idea. This can actualty make players moving somewhere elese than Liberty and Leeds.
Still... problem is- there are already mining places, in less danger and much comfortable places, than Omicrons, and players unlikely shall be going so far for a mining.

RE: Planets: How to encorporate them more into gameplay - Coin - 12-12-2013

so we'd need pobs to build planetary survey modules, and then planetary mining modules and planetary orbiting modules.

remaining hegemon cargo capacity very small, so need transports with orbiting module.

and this means that cant fit in a cloak or a jumpdrive. perfect.

you, sirrah, are an unmitigated genius, and have saved discovery.

RE: Planets: How to encorporate them more into gameplay - Pavel - 12-12-2013

Uhm..

How about we stop worshipping the false idol of POBs at all, burn its figures and return to the Faith of Roleplay?

RE: Planets: How to encorporate them more into gameplay - Coin - 12-12-2013

....and delete gallia cos of a supernova weapon made entirely out of crumpets. gallic forces in leeds and taus escape the catastrophe, but are soon overrun, and revert to type (cheese-eating surrender-monkeys, H. Simpson, 2009). Kusari exiles overthrow the quisling govt and gmg starts a war with rheinland - and wins. New berlin is renamed new gasbag, and the price of Hfuel skyrockets, making jumpdrives and cloaks prohibitively expensive.

RE: Planets: How to encorporate them more into gameplay - Trogdor - 12-12-2013

(12-12-2013, 11:10 AM)Pavel Wrote: Uhm..

How about we stop worshipping the false idol of POBs at all, burn its figures and return to the Faith of Roleplay?

I like POBs.

I just wish they were easy to build and destroy, so there wouldn't be so much hurt feelings when one is taken out.

RE: Planets: How to encorporate them more into gameplay - Tankman - 12-12-2013

(12-12-2013, 11:10 AM)Pavel Wrote: Uhm..

That would require adding sell-points for PoB manufactured items.

And we all know that's never going to happen.

RE: Planets: How to encorporate them more into gameplay - Curios - 12-12-2013

1. More complexity - auto no from me by now
2. You can dock on planets or ram into them - a very good impact on gameplay as is
3. More options for money grind = more spread of tiny population = less possible interactions. I'd instead reduce the amount of mining fields and Trade routes instead.

RE: Planets: How to encorporate them more into gameplay - Binski - 12-12-2013

Well I'm not sure how adding more options and opportunities would cause less interaction. I'm not trying to suggest it should be entirely about PoBs but they would augment the whole thing. Maybe not every planet would be mineable, and it wouldn't always have to be ore. Why not artifacts or cardamine as well? Depending on the planet of course.

However I'm up for other suggestions on how to make them more interactive other than just flying into them and docking on them. It would be cool if people could build their own docking rings or something to 'claim' planets for bases. So thats not resource based at all but would still give them a reason to become the center of a plot.

As for its complexity, I also wouldn't want it to be too complicated. That's the biggest hurdle when you wanna try to change one thing, you have to try to figure out how it effects everything else. I'd like to see something like this incorporated into the game and made as simple and easy as possible. Will it ever happen? Hey, I'm sure there'll be a 4.88 eventually. It would be cool to add new features other than new ships and changed weapons. Vanilla planets didn't even rotate!

RE: Planets: How to encorporate them more into gameplay - Scumbag - 12-16-2013

(12-12-2013, 02:30 PM)Curios Wrote: I'd instead reduce the amount of mining fields and Trade routes instead.

Preach brotha' tell them the words of wisdom.