Discovery Gaming Community
Needing RP to kill a base is stupid - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Rules & Requests (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Rules (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Needing RP to kill a base is stupid (/showthread.php?tid=109540)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Needing RP to kill a base is stupid - Lythrilux - 12-31-2013

Ok, RP of some kind is a good idea. Most importantly background RP. Why would your Outcast shoot a GRN base in Il-de-France? They wouldn't really, it's not really a system they would fret over for something like that. Why would your Outcast shoot a GRN base in Tau-23? Simple, because Outcasts are not buddies with GRN and at all, and therefore does not want a base of that magnitude to be there.
Yet, for some reason with the way things are now, people are required to send full blown Comms to their mortal enemies regarding their bases.
If you were going to assassinate the leader of your country, would you write a letter to your government beforehand? No, you wouldn't, not really.
Therefore, I don't see why you need all these, specifically, forum RPs before you blow up a base.
More problems that come with having to forum RP are:
-Base owners can just complete ignore the post, leading to QQ, rage and hate which can then lead to unhappy players leaving
-Base owners can stall for time, base owners can get a base to Core 1 - 3 within a day...
-...Meaning the base could've been dealt with more effectively earlier, but instead 999999 battleships need to be used to take down the illegal/hostile base.

I only see that the base rules we have in place were only put in as a hasty measure to deal with the BH. Since they've been blasted out of the game themselves, the current rule only stalls and irritates the normal, fair players.

RE: Needing RP to kill a base is stupid - Highland Laddie - 12-31-2013

No...it just means you actually have to do RP before you go around blowing up something that somebody is actually putting in time/effort to build.

Is it really too much work to make one post about it?

RE: Needing RP to kill a base is stupid - Vipera Berus - 12-31-2013

I personally am in favour of the rp demand idea - I may not be brilliant at rp but I can hum a few bars. Its worth at least giving people a chance to save their base.

RE: Needing RP to kill a base is stupid - Karst - 12-31-2013

I have my doubts regarding this as well.
For example, a house or organization that has a law along the lines of "unregistered bases found in blablabla will be subject to destruction" should not be required to send a communication informing the owners of their base's imminent destruction. Such a law should be considered sufficient "forum role play" to warrant a siege.

It's rather strange for factions like nomads, too. Sure, they could send a transmission with a shooped image of the base and some ***'we' 'ours' (anger) blablabla***, and although that would be nice roleplay it's kind of silly to warn the owners that their base has been discovered.

I really like the part of the rule that specifies that the attack must make sense in roleplay, which would prevent people from using totally illogical oorp alliances to siege bases, or just randomly attacking bases for no reason.

The forum part though? Meh, not such a great idea.

RE: Needing RP to kill a base is stupid - Haste - 12-31-2013

(12-31-2013, 04:37 PM)Lythrilux Wrote: More problems that come with having to forum RP are:
-Base owners can just complete ignore the post, leading to QQ, rage and hate which can then lead to unhappy players leaving

Their own fault. The siege will still happen, the base will still die.

(12-31-2013, 04:37 PM)Lythrilux Wrote: -Base owners can stall for time, base owners can get a base to Core 1 - 3 within a day...

The rules don't state that you have to offer the base owners a chance to reply. A simple "We know of your base, it's not legal, it's going down." can and will work.

(12-31-2013, 04:37 PM)Lythrilux Wrote: I only see that the base rules we have in place were only put in as a hasty measure to deal with the BH. Since they've been blasted out of the game themselves, the current rule only stalls and irritates the normal, fair players.

The current rules force people to make a simple post anywhere they like within the roleplay part of the forums (their own Message Dump should even suffice, no?). Wow. So unfair. You have to make a simple post before you nuke someone's hours of work into oblivion.

It really doesn't take much. The advantages are.. plenty. Random Ranseur fleets nuking bases in Rheinland are now sanctionable.

As for Nomads: Remember that the rules don't state that the roleplay has to be a Comms thread to the base's owner(s). A message dump post should suffice.

Edit: Just saw this.
(12-31-2013, 04:37 PM)Lythrilux Wrote: Yet, for some reason with the way things are now, people are required to send full blown Comms to their mortal enemies regarding their bases.

Where in the rules does it say that?

RE: Needing RP to kill a base is stupid - Highland Laddie - 12-31-2013

Agreed, Haste.

Quote:For example, a house or organization that has a law along the lines of "unregistered bases found in blablabla will be subject to destruction" should not be required to send a communication informing the owners of their base's imminent destruction. Such a law should be considered sufficient "forum role play" to warrant a siege.

I would also find such a law as a good forum RP to give a group/House a pre-disposition to attack any "illegal" bases they find. However, look at what the Bass(hole) Hunters did: they would just make a forum post saying "your base is dead" as if that somehow made their work legitimate. As Haste already pointed out, it may literally take 2 minutes to just pop on the forum, say "we found your base. It is now a target, blah blah" and then proceed to siege/destroy it. If 2 minutes of someone's time helps avoid some Q_Q raging, or at least legitimizes someone's actions completely within the scope of the game rules/fair play, I think that's a small price to pay.

RE: Needing RP to kill a base is stupid - Singularity - 12-31-2013

Well, I think the Forum RP is the only thing that is keeping Random Base Destruction Messages to halt.

And as said, Just few lines to post in forum, shouldn't be a problem.

and we should not match it with Real life situation like one stated about giving letter before assassination.
In that case, we would say, you are correct, nobody sends a letter stating their intentions. But once the guy involved in it is killed, he just does not respawn (as in game) and starts shooting after 2 hours again at random targets (but you can in game here).

So, comparing it with real situation is not the ideal case in here.

RE: Needing RP to kill a base is stupid - kikatsu - 12-31-2013

I think it is required for more of a fair play kind of thing than anything else.

RE: Needing RP to kill a base is stupid - aakopa - 12-31-2013

I think that its good that it requires RP, it stops bass hunters like stuff.

RE: Needing RP to kill a base is stupid - Shomy - 12-31-2013

(12-31-2013, 04:37 PM)Lythrilux Wrote: Ok, RP of some kind is a good idea. Most importantly background RP. Why would your Outcast shoot a GRN base in Il-de-France? They wouldn't really, it's not really a system they would fret over for something like that. Why would your Outcast shoot a GRN base in Tau-23? Simple, because Outcasts are not buddies with GRN and at all, and therefore does not want a base of that magnitude to be there.

What about Outcast ZOI?
You're free to bring Outcast fleet within their ZOI and kill whatever/whoever you want, but outside your ZOI I guess you'll need HEAVY RP to go there and kill a base.