Discovery Gaming Community
Faction Activity - January - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Rules & Requests (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Rules (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+---- Forum: Faction Rules (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+---- Thread: Faction Activity - January (/showthread.php?tid=109631)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: Faction Activity - January - Croft - 01-04-2014

(01-04-2014, 10:58 AM)Katherine Wrote:
Quote:[
The official factions that are here, and were built from the ground up and that gained their officialdom through roleplay, activity and gaining the blessings of the admins and playerbase after 6-9 months.
The problem that i have seen with most factions after those said few months,is that once the official status is either rejected or accepted the activity tunes down,what are the old members doing?
1.some are leaving,eventually all
2.they keep the faction on life support/borrowed time as we can see in first post and next month post(new faction listed,same members,same problems)
3.the others are recruiting newbs,that they may not take care of them (above 80% of cases),to be honest..i feel like an indie more in official factions then unofficial ones..which bought me to the following conclusion :
Official factions should do not be given an extra edge over the indies(i.e caps,5k,etc what was aforementioned ) if they dont do anything to keep their tag

BPA) - 0 Active Member(s)
^ a good example of not providing nothing in game,but yet be able to decide what bases are legal/illegal ,what ships can jump trade,have hyperspace scanners,restricted goods and a limited but yet a control over laws in the house

BPA) 00:43:52 -> time counted at this moment ,could they get 5 hours till next mount? Sure..,but same as others in same situation..shouldn't they just give the proverbial 'flag' to whoever wishes to do a better job than them?

I only have one question to ask you Katherine, did you at any point during your membership with the official faction say that you didn't like the way you were treated?

As for the BPA, as a former member I can tell you there are less than zero people lining up to take over as the police.

RE: Faction Activity - January - tyro - 01-04-2014

(01-04-2014, 11:20 AM)Govedo13 Wrote: Tyro you are not right. You are not right because the proportion of indie/faction players in the server is broken for years. From my PoV if there are indies playing faction X then it is more logical that there should be official faction. The problem is not the official factions here, the problem is that there is 0 intensive and pragmatical reason one indie to join the official action that toys and lore he is already using
(...)

I know it. You are right.
I wrote something similar few pages above.
http://discoverygc.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=109631&pid=1461151#pid1461151
But I sincerely doubt that Admins, Devs, Community would agree to restrict independent players in favor of factions power.

In this, what you said I am not right. I am saying. It is not a disaster yet, that some factions are dying.

RE: Faction Activity - January - Lythrilux - 01-04-2014

To be honest, we might not have to restrict independent players at all. Rather, we can just inject a large amount of power back into official factions.

RE: Faction Activity - January - Aazalot - 01-04-2014

i got to about page 7 then i got lazy So ima take a deep breath put in my opinion and then go get a drink.
Here goes

Official Factions need some sort of reward for being part of them, and i know this to be true because at LEAST half of the applicants to OSI want to be part of it, because OSI can dock whales in house space. That in itself i think kinda shows that people will join a faction if they get something out of it that they cant have being independent.
I forget which mod and which server it was but wherever it was, the rules were you couldn't have anything bigger then a gunboat as an Independent, if you wanted a cruiser or a battleship you had to join the military/armed forces faction to have a chance at it.
Do indi pirates necessarily need a Cruiser/Battleship to pirate in? No not really, but if they want one they join an official faction. Its a reward, its something to work towards within the faction.

PoB's should be a Faction or SRP reward.

The main factions do need to talk to one another and sort out events, BAF and GRN for example organising a battle and have someone there to record/SS it and do a story on it, similarly to the whole bombing thing on Gran Canaria but on a bigger better scale.

We need to think of reasons and rewards to join a faction, but not without making sure that those who do want to remain an Independent for legit reasons arnt penalised for that choice.

So i do have a suggestion of prehaps assigning a few people to be "Event Coordinators/Managers" People who can Set up and organise these events, parley with those involved and watch over it in case of any rule breaking. Obviously we have http://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=28 as a forum and its being used, but the Events done by the coordinators could be more cannon server wise, or be game changing so on.

Tl;dr
Factions need Unique reasons to join like OSI House docking whale
PoB's Faction and SRP specific
Event Coordinators for large events

RE: Faction Activity - January - Sabru - 01-04-2014

(01-04-2014, 12:09 PM)tyro Wrote: But I sincerely doubt that Admins, Devs, Community would agree to restrict independent players in favor of factions power.
I dont think its that. i think its more, would the admins and devs be willing to take the steps to fix this problem, or kowtow to the few militant anti-factionists?

as for the community, look at this thread. PLENTY of people giving suggestions on how to balance this issue. I think all of the ideas presented have great merit.

the only ones who actually want to keep the current pro-indie status quo are the aformentioned militant indie anti-factionists.

Dont forget, as a few people have mentioned, a lot of stuff in this mod is/was faction driven. as in the stuff wouldnt exist had it not been for the factions who worked to get them

im not saying restrict indies greatly, but actually give factions power and pull.

RE: Faction Activity - January - RedEclipse - 01-04-2014

Managed to read almost whole thread, oh well - people already suggested good ideas to fix this problem. There's no way to not alienate indies if we want to keep official factions, since as official factions started dying general RP on the server started degrade too.

So sum up, let official factions affect on storyline and region where they are flying. Right now devs do whatever they want - but I think players know better what they want and how make mod more attractive. Restrict caps to official factions, simple because we have to force indies for aiming on role play, because we're playing on RP server. Remove "faction rights", simple because it's a lie.

RE: Faction Activity - January - tyro - 01-04-2014

so, there is plenty of valuable ideas in this thread.
but the ball is in Admins court.

RE: Faction Activity - January - Haste - 01-04-2014

Okay. While I personally wouldn't mind seeing caps restricted, it's not going to happen.

Fact is, people, that a lot of new players set their sights on a capital ship right when they start out. They trade their way up (which provides pirates with targets, which provides lawfuls with incentive to log), hoping to "one day" be able to purchase a cap8 Liberty Dread. That's just how it is.

Most of these players have only a minor grasp of roleplay. There's so many of these people that [LN] (for example) wouldn't be able to let them all in, ever, even if they wanted to.

Big ships. High stats. A more newbie-friendly skill curve. All those capship traits attract the newbies that we desperately need to keep this community going. Making them hard to get would likely kill the mod or severely reduce the number of newcomers that stick around.

For the sake of my own enjoyment, both in terms of roleplay immersion and PvP, I'd love to see fewer caps. For the sake of official factions, I'd love to see them have caps as a unique toy. However, it could be a real "final nail" for once.

RE: Faction Activity - January - Hannibal - 01-04-2014

Croft Wrote:I only have one question to ask you Katherine, did you at any point during your membership with the official faction say that you didn't like the way you were treated?
You misunderstood ..
I'm only saying that before becoming official,factions have a goal,they're members are driven to log in and do their best and once they achieve that in most cases they go dormant,even without a leader(M.I.A for months in some factions) ,so what kind of official factions we have left? A bunch of "indies" who sometimes they name another leader from within or outside the faction,do they leave up to the standards the original members had?Nope..not even having same RP,but they get to keep the name
Croft Wrote:As for the BPA, as a former member I can tell you there are less than zero people lining up to take over as the police.
Yes,that's right and the only fix toward that will be that Navy should only attack enemies Navy/Military forces inside and outside house space and leave that to real police
*BPA was only taken as example because was with no activity at all..
Sabre Wrote:the only ones who actually want to keep the current pro-indie status quo are the aformentioned militant indie anti-factionists.
such harshness ..
The only thing keep indies from joining factions[not all of them,just the ones with major problems] are the faction themself

Should official factions have more power & benefits?
Sure.
But..
Remember..
With great power comes great responsibility(something i see lacking of nowadays..)

RE: Faction Activity - January - RedEclipse - 01-04-2014

(01-04-2014, 01:16 PM)Katherine Wrote: With great power comes great responsibility(something i see lacking of nowadays..)
Responsibility it's to what official factions get used, but no advantages.