Discovery Gaming Community
Liberty Navy [LN] - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Role-Playing (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Unofficial Factions and Groups (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+--- Thread: Liberty Navy [LN] (/showthread.php?tid=11128)

RE: Liberty Navy [LN] - Shizune - 07-23-2015

(07-23-2015, 02:57 AM)Sarawr!? Wrote:
(07-23-2015, 02:51 AM)Techpriest Wrote:
(07-23-2015, 02:47 AM)Sarawr!? Wrote: Stating that Corporations have too much power is bad how?
inb4 Baker is actually coalition sleeper agent.

So, what happened to 5th|, you guys merged?

They're still around I think, although they've hit an activity slump it seems. Also, well I was gonna say thanks for the positive note in all this mess but you edited your message...thanks anyway though Tongue

And hey, Baker IS pretty leftist politically! xDD (God no she's not a Coalition spy, just clarifying before SOMEBODY thinks I'm serious)

I met Baker once, on my Solar Runner while she was the Fleet Admiral. Have to say, after what happened (My Solar Runners were caught some where they should not of been) and having her come out and talk to us about it was..interesting to say the least, can't say I hate on Baker in the slightest, each time I encounter her on my Zoner (Ashley) I normally say hello to her ^.^

I personally enjoy the RP of the LN, I want to say. I've personally enjoyed it from my K'Hara meetings all the way up to just Freelancers saying hello. Personally I want to see this faction keep going higher and higher, and if that requires some loony things, then so be it, it will make it interesting Wink

RE: Liberty Navy [LN] - Teerin - 07-23-2015

(07-23-2015, 02:45 AM)Commissar Wrote: Re-read the post.

Baker's transmission was not, and is not, official navy policy. It's an indication of individual expression, and a result of someone roleplaying a character, rather than a cardboard cut out. There may be repercussions in-character for her actions, that's not for me to say, but it seems ludicrous to me to attack the player for actions conducted by the character.

If you've got a character that would disagree with Baker's actions, you're more than welcome to act on that disagreement in-character. Write a letter. Stage a demonstration, whatever floats your boat.

But, for the sake of common sense, let's restrict roleplay disagreements to in-roleplay interactions, rather than attack someone for the views their character holds.

Commissar has hit the nail on the head. In regards to the "feedback" here; sadly it hasn't been very constructive, worsened by the fact that the actions of Rachel Baker were already explained, and so were the motives of Sarawr. Players are free to roleplay their characters in-character, even if they disagree with what the player actually feels. Shocker! It's called ... roleplay!

Yes, that's right, not every character is a copy of their owner's personality and tastes. Furthermore, not every character is a perfect "Mary Sue" archetype, nor do they all share their faction's ideals. Illustrating examples can be founded all over, and this is one of them. Believe it or not, until recently there was another Liberty Navy officer who was somewhat sympathetic of the HF Legion.

Carry on this debate about random minutiae if you wish, but I believe Wildkins, Maskage, Sarawr, and especially Commissar, have explained this enough. We appreciate your concern, and thank you for your time. If you still think that the Navy wishes to shut down LPI, you're mistaken, and I'll ask you to --

RE: Liberty Navy [LN] - Sarawr!? - 07-23-2015

NO MAX STOP EDITING MY POSTS QQ

I AM THE LAWH!!! ~Max

Also, Shizune -- I actually remember that encounter! you Solar Runners should come down do Liberty more often, also thanks for the positive comment! ^^

RE: Liberty Navy [LN] - Tyria Regalia - 07-23-2015

I had no problem with what you wrote. My character would agree except for the junker dig. I didn't care for the gun in court myself, I had a problem with the huge oorp hate for it that led to a lot of over reactive inrp hate. I have a problem with the hypocrisy that nothing will come of it. Bill Clinton's affair wasn't illegal to my understanding, but the perception that it was illegal is still there in hearts and minds. Just because something isn't illegal doesn't make it right.

RE: Liberty Navy [LN] - Rodent - 07-23-2015

I am somehow getting the feeling that this feedback storm is not really concerned with what Baker said. Call it a hunch, if you will.

RE: Liberty Navy [LN] - TheJarl - 07-23-2015

I honestly don't know what everybody is on about. From a HF/Commonwealth perspective it appeared mostly as a speech against us. It did not legitimize us, it did not somehow support us. It was exactly the opposite. It was also not a sneaky private message to the enemy. It was an open unencrypted message.

If anything it was an admiral making a personal statement denouncing the Commonwealth.

edit: and as for the LPI part. I don't know why a navy admiral wouldn't be allowed to make such a statement on a personal title.

RE: Liberty Navy [LN] - Mímir - 07-23-2015

Baker's transmission was not, and is not, official navy policy. It's an indication of individual expression, and a result of someone roleplaying a character, rather than a cardboard cut out. There may be repercussions in-character for her actions, that's not for me to say, but it seems ludicrous to me to attack the player for actions conducted by the character.

If you've got a character that would disagree with Baker's actions, you're more than welcome to act on that disagreement in-character. Write a letter. Stage a demonstration, whatever floats your boat.

But, for the sake of common sense, let's restrict roleplay disagreements to in-roleplay interactions, rather than attack someone for the views their character holds.

I would be lying if I was to say I really care, but on a more general level, do you not think that this kind of 'individual roleplay' in ways undermine the legitimacy of an official faction?

If there are no quality requirements, no requirements in terms of realism/credibility, and everything is up to the individual player, why should there be any kind of privileges associated with being a faction player? What then makes a [LN] player "better" than a 5th player? Why this freedom regarding the illusive notion of "roleplay", when the Junker guns in court was deemed "not roleplay" - it's a legitimate question you should be able to answer directly, if you so want to use "roleplay" as an "excuse".

Yes, I am asking solely for the sake of the discussion, I have nothing against the player or the faction*, but this is a topic that interested me as long as I played here. A topic riddled with hypocrisy and a debate often carried out on very skewed basis where affiliation and position matters more than the logic and common sense, if you ask me. In the past, a lot of people have been scorned for saying things we all now know were 100 percent spot-on (as much as we hate to admit it), simply because certain players in key positions en bloc could dominate the discourse through language, wit and ridicule, enforced by the herd/mob-like behavior demonstrated by a large chunk of players without the capacity to think for themselves. In hindsight, now that most players have matured a bit, has Karlotta not been more "right" than Dusty Lens if you choose to look beyond the form?

Sure, Disco is running towards the end of its life, but in hindsight wouldn't everything had been better if we all played regular Joes in-game, and had all the 'power' condensed in forum-only characters? A game where we were all equals - wouldn't that have led to fewer disagreements, fierce arguments, ragequits and that gross hypocrisy that is everywhere within the community? Less power mongering, wouldn't that also be conducive to "better" roleplay or at least more credible and open stories?

*Edit: Ok, I do have a small dislike towards the faction. It's been the cause for a lot of grief ever since Joe was in charge, and it was never dealt with or handled properly, but rather swept under the rug. The past is of course the past, but [LN] does have an air of arrogance still, sadly, and of course those of us who have been treated terribly by [LN] members in the past are more likely to be sensitive to this, even if it's mostly a completely different team of players now.

RE: Liberty Navy [LN] - Jihadjoe - 07-23-2015

(07-23-2015, 05:52 PM)Mímir Wrote: *Edit: Ok, I do have a small dislike towards the faction. It's been the cause for a lot of grief every since Joe was in charge, and it was never dealt with or handled properly, but rather swept under the rug. The past is of course the past, but [LN] does have an air of arrogance still, sadly, and of course those of us who have been treated terribly by [LN] members in the past are more likely to be sensitive to this, even if it's mostly a completely different team of players now.

Hi. Am I to understand that I engendered a culture of arrogance in the [LN]? You would be quite welcome to PM me to discuss this, or message me on skype, if you so wish. But whatever your problem with me and my attitude is, you should probably stop using assumptions that your opinion generates as ammunition against a faction that no longer has me as a leading member.

RE: Liberty Navy [LN] - Mímir - 07-23-2015

Hey Joe, we already discussed it in PM's, in forum threads and on Skype as well. I am sure you don't recallWink

Anyways, that IS the past - I was just being open and honest about my sentiment. The central part is what's above the "Edit".

RE: Liberty Navy [LN] - Jihadjoe - 07-23-2015

(07-23-2015, 06:23 PM)Mímir Wrote: Hey Joe, we already discussed it in PM's, in forum threads and on Skype as well. I am sure you don't recallWink

Clearly without a satisfactory resolution, otherwise your current perception of the [LN] would not be coloured by your perception of my personal attributes and character traits, despite the fact I have not been in the leadership slot for some years.