Discovery Gaming Community
TO: Sparks | FROM: Harold - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Role-Playing (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Communication Channel (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+--- Thread: TO: Sparks | FROM: Harold (/showthread.php?tid=111367)

Pages: 1 2

TO: Sparks | FROM: Harold - Kazinsal - 02-03-2014

=== Incoming Transmission ===
== Encryption: Mein gott! ==

[Image: comm-header.png]

A line of static crosses the screen for a moment, and the picture seems darkened. Perhaps the screen's cabling is going? No, wait. The view is just of a heavily-damaged battleship interior.

Harold Kane here. Comms are back up. Sort of. We're... fairly far out. We had to blind jump. Sensors suggest we're somewhere in the Luneburg system. Maybe.

Kane's left forearm is bandaged tightly and an antibacterial wound strip stretches across his cheek. The remains of his office are visible. Parts of a wooden desk are charred severely and strewn about the room.

If you're as good at repairing ships as I've heard you are, you're more than welcome to come aboard for a tour of the... venerable VCS Metropolis. Hell, even if you don't feel up to helping out, just...

He sighs.

The docking bay doors are fused shut on the starboard side. Port should be working as it didn't take as much damage.

=== Transmission Ended ===
== Trace Failed ==

RE: TO: Sparks | FROM: Harold - Sarah McFarlen - 02-03-2014

Message Received
To: Harold Kane
Sender: Sparks
Origin: VWA|Donnerkind, Luneburg System

Metropolis

Sparks here.

[Despite her body bearing an exhaustion that forced her into a slump in the Dromedary's chair, the young engineer's face rallied itself and managed a smile at the message.]

You have no idea how glad I am to hear from you. We all thought- Well, the last Alex saw of the Metropolis, a Dreadnought was using it as target practice. I can't even imagine how-. Anyway. It's good to hear Met's okay. Ish.

Donnerkind's on her way out to Zwickau with medical supplies, but considering what Metropolis has been through, I'd say they're probably better used with you. I'll see if I can rope Alex into helping track you down. I'm searching as we speak, and Met's a big ship. We should be in touch shortly.

As to repairing her... I mean, I'm good, but I'm not 'repair a battleship single-handedly' good. Once we've got you located, I'll offload what I can to help out with medical and immediate repairs. We've got oxygen supplies on board, as well as some basic medical. Some of our best brains are down on Zwickau, along with most of our materials, so I'll be making a trip down there to pick up both to get Met back in shape. Donnerkind's quiet enough to slip past the military, assuming that battleship's cleared off.

We'll get her going again, don't worry about it.

End Message

RE: TO: Sparks | FROM: Harold - Kazinsal - 02-08-2014

== Encryption: From ashes ==

Me again.

Repairs are going... well, as good as they can for being out in the middle of empty space. In light of the attack though, my chief engineer has started drafting plans for light support cruisers to complement the Metropolis. Of course, she wants a... very specific set of blueprints to use as a basis, and I'm running out of options of who to talk to about obtaining them.

Do you have any contact with the Zoner group known as Phoenix?

--Harold

== Trace Failed ==

RE: TO: Sparks | FROM: Harold - Sarah McFarlen - 02-10-2014

Message Received
Origin: VWA|Kastell, Luneburg

Metropolis

Hi Harold.

[The message is simple text.]

I'm actually on my way out to Metropolis with a load of panels and a few engineers besides as I write this. With any luck, they'll go someway towards helping repair the damage. And you're after cruisers as well? I didn't know the raiders had access to that sort of infrastructure. I mean, it's not just the cruisers, you'll almost need another fleet all by itself to support them along with Metropolis, but I guess you don't need me to tell you that.

Now that you mention it, I might know someone with the Phoenix. It was a long time ago, so I'm not even sure if he's still alive any more, but I can ask around. It might be enough to get a foot in the door, at least. I'm going to take a shot in the dark here and guess that it's a certain axe-shaped sort-of ship you're talking about here? I'll see what I can dig up for you.

End Message

RE: TO: Sparks | FROM: Harold - Sarah McFarlen - 02-13-2014

Message Received
Origin: Unknown Location, Luneburg

Can't win all of them.

Hi again.

Alright, I've got some good news and some bad news. The bad news is that the contact I thought I had, one Captain Vorandril, hasn't been seen in over a year, so that's not really an option. He was known to go off on great expeditions fighting the nomads, so I'm sure you can put the dots together on that one. So, as far as getting an in with the Zoners goes, that option's pretty much off.

That said, I did work aboard a Corvo for a while a couple of years back. If it were a battlebarge you were talking about, I could probably sketch the design out for you on the back of a napkin or something, but the Corvo's a bit more complicated then that. If you want, I could ask some questions on the Raider's behalf. I'm not sure how much being a drive engineer buys me, but it's got to be worth something. Probably not a cruiser, but it might just be worth a reply. If you're after the blueprints for a Fearless, there's not really much I can do for you there but ask, sorry. I've never seen the outside of one, much less the interior systems. Still, if it's okay at your end, I'll see what I can drag up for you.

I hate to do this to you so soon after Zwickau, but I'd like to ask a favor as well. I'm looking at doing a little work in Liberty sometime over the next month or so, and I don't really have somewhere to stay. I don't need much, just a couple of bedrooms and somewhere to park a pair of ships and I'll be happy (they'll probably be a second person, just in case you're wondering. I don't take up two beds, last time I checked.) If there's any chance of loaning something like that from your guys for a bit, and possibly a bit of workshop space, I'd be over the moon. I'll wait until Metropolis is flying again, of course. I'm not about to run off and leave you out here in Luneburg, but once that's done, if we could look at something, that'd be fantastic.

Talk to you later.

End Message

RE: TO: Sparks | FROM: Harold - Kazinsal - 02-13-2014

== Encryption: Oui ==

Hey Sparks,

The Corvo is exactly what our engineer is looking for. She's got her mind set on building something that structurally resembles it -- she doesn't care about the internals as she's got a plan in mind, she's told me.

I think I've got something for you in the way of living arrangements for however long you need. Three freighter-sized hangar spots, two bedroom apartment, standard apartment amenities, Barrier Gate inner wing. We're not using it at the moment and it's all paid for. All the computer terminals are brand new, as a bonus. The OIC seized the old ones when we took over the apartment. Used to belong to an... associate who is thankfully no longer with us, in multiple senses of the euphemism.

Let me know both if that works and when you want to come aboard the Metropolis for a proper tour.

--Harold

== Trace Failed ==

RE: TO: Sparks | FROM: Harold - Sarah McFarlen - 02-16-2014

Message Received
Origin: Frankfurt Relay #1

Sounds like a plan.

Hi Harold,

I can ask the question on the Corvo then, sure. No promises the Zoners'll give us anything back, but it can't hurt to try. Without the plans I can't do much in terms of the structure, but I can probably manage something vaguely similar on the drive core, if that helps.

The apartment sounds great. I... Er... I won't ask about the former occupant. Still, it sounds like it'll work nicely. Thanks for going to the trouble, I know you must have two dozen things on your table at the moment. If it's as good as it sounds I might not be leaving.

I'd be happy to come aboard Metropolis whenever you'll have me. I mean, I've mostly been co-ordinating transports running repair teams to and from the past couple of weeks, so it'd be great to see her myself, hopefully with a few less holes then last time we met. I'm supposed to be heading out to Liberty once the repairs are finalized anyway, so if Metropolis is heading for home too might as well kill two birds, if you don't mind having me poking at things on the way over.

End Message

RE: TO: Sparks | FROM: Harold - Kazinsal - 02-16-2014

== Encryption: 10.9999999998 ==

Hey Sparks,

We've got a contact who can help us with reverse engineered schematics of the cruiser's superstructure and hull, as well as a core suspension apparatus. Of course, they're not the... first choice in mind, but they'll do quite well. We have old ties, as it were. Hopefully they can come through after we jump through some interesting hoops involving finding something that looks not entirely unlike a Titan and some alien tinker-toys.

You're welcome to come aboard the Metropolis any time. We're hoping to have her underway within the next 24 hours. I'd be more than happy to show you around our little haven of spontaneous craftsmanship. We'll free up a freighter-sized hangar spot for you.

--Harold

== Trace Failed ==

RE: TO: Sparks | FROM: Harold - Sarah McFarlen - 02-16-2014

Message Received
Origin: Frankfurt Relay #3

Re: Sounds like a plan.

Hi again,

Sounds great! I can't wait to have a look. Sorry to be a pain, but is there any chance of securing a fighter size dock as well? There's someone else, Alexander Fuchs, coming along to Liberty as well, and amusing as I might find it, I don't think he'd appreciate it if I left him to fly alongside the whole way. Anyway, I'll throw some stuff in a bag and get set to go. If you could tell your gunners not to panic when they see a Greyhound and a Humpback coming for them, that'd be handy.

Oh, and glad you managed to find someone with those designs, by the way. For a non-military ship, the Zoners are pretty protective of them. And a Titan? Isn't that a - You know what, nevermind. We'll be aboard soon.

End Message

RE: TO: Sparks | FROM: Harold - Kazinsal - 02-16-2014

== Encryption: > 94.8683298051^2 ==

Sarah,

We'll have the adjacent bay cleared up.

And yes. We are mildly insane.

--Harold

== Trace Failed ==