Discovery Gaming Community
Admin Notice: Returning /setmsg Functionality - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: News and Announcements (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Admin Notice: Returning /setmsg Functionality (/showthread.php?tid=111657)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Admin Notice: Returning /setmsg Functionality - aerelm - 02-08-2014

First, a little history snippet for those of you who weren't around back when /setmsg command was disabled:

We used to have this handy command which allowed players to define up to 10 preset messages on their ships and use it in different situations. A playback system for prerecorded messages, so to say. This feature was disabled because in its late days, it was widely used to circumvent the pre-engagement roleplay requirements, and the team at the time felt removing this command would promote more original roleplay, which to some extent, it did.

Now, after a long discussion the team had on the subject recently, and a thorough review of its effect on the server gameplay since its removal, we feel complete removal of this feature is too big of a price to pay just to prevent people from "/l1 /l2ing" hostile ships. As a result, the command is once again enabled on Discovery GC, but with the following adjustment made to the server rules:
Quote:
3.1 [...] aggressors are not allowed to destroy a ship before allowing sufficient time to respond. [...]
This rule, which previously only applied to piracy interactions, is now extended to apply to any type of interaction. In simple, the new adjustment would require players to provide a reasonable amount of time for target(s) to actually respond to their roleplay before going in for the kill, and seeing as this is basically what any reasonable player already does, it's not that big of a change in practice and is only there to prevent setmsg-related instakills, which were one major part of the problem back in the day.

We understand this adjustment does not completely fix the issue of misuse of /setmsgs, however, hopefully this should help reduce it to the bare minimum and allow this command to be used again on the server with not as much problems and concerns as before.

P.S: Since /setmsg and /chattime are basically defined under the same plugin, having setmsgs disabled was also causing problems with the chattime command. Now that /setmsg is enabled again, the issue with /chattime is also fixed.

RE: Admin Notice: Returning /setmsg Functionality - Thargoid - 02-08-2014

Excellent news!

This will come in handy, it's a pain having to type a full sentence asking a trader to stop when you're trying to pursue/CD them.

Devs/admins are really kicking ass now huh? Big Grin Kudos!

RE: Admin Notice: Returning /setmsg Functionality - Narcotic - 02-08-2014

Yay

RE: Admin Notice: Returning /setmsg Functionality - SkyNet - 02-08-2014

Good to hear that. Those who misuse the /setmsg command must burn in hell.

RE: Admin Notice: Returning /setmsg Functionality - evanz - 02-08-2014

great news

i only used setmsg for greetings #t, and for me in /l it helped as i dont have fast fingers and i found the rp was ace

RE: Admin Notice: Returning /setmsg Functionality - Pavel - 02-08-2014

With that rule and ID changes I don't believe setmsg can be abused anymore, it's cool to have it back.

RE: Admin Notice: Returning /setmsg Functionality - Omicron - 02-08-2014

While I appreciate idea behind it, it would be better to ban using set messages in local/system chat alltogether.

RE: Admin Notice: Returning /setmsg Functionality - Laura C. - 02-08-2014

I like you guys Smile Trying to be police officer which want to ask ship to stop for control with something longer than "Pilot stop" quickly but without typos was sometimes hard. Same goes for trader which want to quickly hail other trader and inform him that lane was clear from pirates. Generally I hope this will help to make better RP atmosphere ingame and people will not misuse it.

Quote:P.S: Since /setmsg and /chattime are basically defined under the same plugin, having setmsgs disabled was also causing problems with the chattime command. Now that /setmsg is enabled again, the issue with /chattime is also fixed.
And this is great as well, was kinda annoying to turning it on every time I log in.

RE: Admin Notice: Returning /setmsg Functionality - Vexykin - 02-08-2014

(02-08-2014, 04:04 PM)Pavel Wrote: With that rule and ID changes I don't believe setmsg can be abused anymore, it's cool to have it back.

What he said !

RE: Admin Notice: Returning /setmsg Functionality - t0l - 02-08-2014

yaaaaaay