Discovery Gaming Community
Omega systems layout revision. - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Developers Forum (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=183)
+--- Thread: Omega systems layout revision. (/showthread.php?tid=111844)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Omega systems layout revision. - Echo 7-7 - 02-12-2014

There has been a lot of discussion over the last week about the future of Omega-9, which has coincided with general work around the Omega systems cluster. Due to the discussions being spread around different threads and Skype chats (both public and private), I'm creating this thread in a similar vein to the Omicron systems thread I posted earlier.

I've been informed by Blodo that Omega-9 actually serves an important purpose of preventing the shortest route into Rheinland from being through the Omegas, and instead through the Trade Lanes. This cannot be achieved solely by making the Jump Holes further apart in Omega-5 or Omega-11 as this would negatively affect the travel times in those individual systems. Therefore, the system will be kept in the mod for the forseeable future, and we will be exploring options to develop the system, so that it is not just a buffer system.

All players are welcome to share their opinions on proposals in a constructive manner, or make their own proposals.

System Layout v2

Omega-3, v2
- Pending: Possible relocation of Aland Shipyard deeper into the ice field.

Omega-5, v2
- Note: Jump Hole positions revised.

Omega-7, v2
- Added: Ithaca Base (Reapers of Sirius)

Omega-9, v2
- Design Proposal: Unclaimed mining system. Specifics pending discussion.

Omega-11, v2

Omega-41, v2

Omega-47, v2
- Note: Total layout revision. System size condensed significantly. The two Walker Nebula clouds are now one large cloud.
- Removed: Battleship Fes (Corsairs).
- Removed: Temple of the Eidolon (Phantoms).

Omega-49, v2
- Added: Battleship Fes (Corsairs).
- Added: Poole Jump Hole.
- Added: Grand Vista Orbital (Zoners).

Omega-50
- Inaccessible.
- Removed: Mindelo Base (Corsairs), Porto Novo (Zoners), Boa Vista Station (Zoners).

Omega-52, v1
- No current proposals pending.

Omega-54, v1

Omega-55, v2

Omega-58, v1

Cayman, v2
- Note: Total layout revision. Some base names changed.
- Note: Added minefield around Kara Stellar Laboratory.

FAQ

Q: Can you delete system X?
A: No systems can or will be deleted unless it's been specificly stated as a possibility in the first post. Inaccessible systems are effectively deleted for gameplay purposes.

Q: Can we return to the vanilla layout and systems only?
A: No. It's simply not feasible.

Q: Why are the v1 systems different from my Disco files?
A: The screenshots are sourced from my WIP Dev files, which have changes applied after v4.87 update 5.

Q: Can you change the appearance of base Y?
A: Yes, if it has the support of the base's respective Official Faction.

Q: Can you move a base from one system to another?
A: From a technical perspective, yes. InRP, it would be a different base being constructed, requiring a new infocard. (The exceptions to this are Battleships.)

Q: Can we have a new base?
A: We're not making new base entries, so "new" bases must be recycled base entries from elsewhere in the mod.

Q: Can we have a new mining zone?
A: Yes, but it will most likely result in your faction losing a mining zone elsewhere.

Q: Should I report bugs in this thread?
A: No. Please use the appropriate bug report thread in that subforum.

RE: Omega systems layout revision. - Echo 7-7 - 02-12-2014

Changelog

<Placeholder>

RE: Omega systems layout revision. - SMI-Great.Fox - 02-12-2014

Why is Omega 50 getting the boot?

(02-12-2014, 12:22 PM)SMI-Great.Fox Wrote: Why is Omega 50 getting the boot?

It is an under-utilised buffer system, essentially serving to slow the Coalition from travelling to Bretonia. Corsairs aren't using the system as a staging point into Bretonia because Omega-5 -> Cambridge is more convenient, and Poole is currently under-populated.

The system's base entries have been recycled in Omega-49 as Grand Vista Orbital, Sigma-13 <Freelancer Station>, and Frankfurt <Corsair Station>.

RE: Omega systems layout revision. - Murcielago - 02-12-2014

Hey

I spent some time in O3.

As pirate I would like to see TL between Freeport1 and Aland longer for 2 or 3 aditional TL gates. Now, we have those two stations just 30k(35k) away.
or
you can move Freeport1 to sector 2,3/C. Better 2C if possible.

Also Cambridge JH would be better in sector 2/B.

RE: Omega systems layout revision. - Curios - 02-12-2014

Corsair station in Frankfurt, lol. It's better to give an ability to dock normally on Unioneer bases. Just my pov. And why Corsair ID don't have New Berlin and Hamburg in their ZOI?

(02-12-2014, 12:41 PM)Curios Wrote: Corsair station in Frankfurt, lol. It's better to give an ability to dock normally on Unioneer bases. Just my pov. And why Corsair ID don't have New Berlin and Hamburg in their ZOI?

Rephack is aerelm's department, and IDs come under server rules and thus are Admin territory. Neither are related to this thread.

(02-12-2014, 12:39 PM)Murcielago Wrote: Hey

I spent some time in O3.

As pirate I would like to see TL between Freeport1 and Aland longer for 2 or 3 aditional TL gates. Now, we have those two stations just 30k(35k) away.
or
you can move Freeport1 to sector 2,3/C. Better 2C if possible.

Also Cambridge JH would be better in sector 2/B.

An alternative to extending the Trade Lane or moving FP1 would be to move Aland Shipyard "deeper" into that ice field, making it possible to pirate in that area without being in range of the station's guns.

Pending discussion. (Edit: That means I want to be presented with an argument that's going to convince me to make the change.)

RE: Omega systems layout revision. - Pavel - 02-12-2014

- RoS base in Omega-7? Why? Not that I have something against, I'm just curious is it another RoS base from elsewhere which is simply impossible to remove?

- Does Omega-11 jh in O-7 need to be on the south again? Northern fields again would be much more safer, I don't think it would hurt if that hole was moved to e.g. E-2

(02-12-2014, 01:16 PM)Pavel Wrote: - RoS base in Omega-7? Why? Not that I have something against, I'm just curious is it another RoS base from elsewhere which is simply impossible to remove?

- Does Omega-11 jh in O-7 need to be on the south again? Northern fields again would be much more safer, why not place it in C-2 let's say? [Image: emoticon-00126-nerd.png]

1) I forgot to note that the Temple of the Eidolon was removed from Omega-47. Its base entry has been recycled for Ithaca Base. (Just because the Admins declared that Phantom assets can now be acquired with the appropriate SRP doesn't mean they're safe from necessary system changes. Omicron-82 as a self-contained Phantom system should be sufficient for both technical and roleplay purposes.)

As to why the RoS received it; all the other local factions already have enough bases (possibly except the Coalition, but hey, it's their choice to be so insular...). This ties in with an upcoming general revision of the faction.

2) Why would the Jump Hole need to be somewhere safer? "Nothing ventured, nothing gained."

RE: Omega systems layout revision. - Pavel - 02-12-2014

(02-12-2014, 01:20 PM)Echo 7-7 Wrote: 2) Why would the Jump Hole need to be somewhere safer? "Nothing ventured, nothing gained."

Not safer, just for several mod versions that hole was there what kinda screwed DHC position gameplay-wise in O7, while IMG and Kruger with their safe fields on the north don't have any problems at all.