Discovery Gaming Community
Anyone here have any experience with BMWs? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Real Life Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Thread: Anyone here have any experience with BMWs? (/showthread.php?tid=111908)

Pages: 1 2

Anyone here have any experience with BMWs? - sindroms - 02-14-2014

Yeah.

The 320 2L 1996 model to be exact.

RE: Anyone here have any experience with BMWs? - oZoneRanger - 02-14-2014

Back a few years, when I was living in Arkansas, a buddy of mine had a 320 BMW that had Gasket problems....Big time. He bought it used and did not know much about cars. To repair the damage the blown gasket caused to the motor was a big expense. I remember this cause....we were on our way to a strip club, when it left us stranded. I have not been a fan of Bemers since then.....It buzz killed a really good weekend.

RE: Anyone here have any experience with BMWs? - r3vange - 02-14-2014

Yeah, I sort of do, my brother had a '98 318i for a while. Whatcha wanna know?

RE: Anyone here have any experience with BMWs? - sindroms - 02-14-2014

Overall things that usually go down. I've had some people tell me that usually it is the environment control that kicks the bucket first. That and the generator.

Also something about the steering mechanism itself, which apparently needs to be looked at every few months or something.

Actually, could you just give an average amount of money I need to pump into a beemer per year?

Well he had it in for like 5 years and the only problem he had with it was a lose drive belt. Mind you the car you are talking about is nearly 20 years old so all the inherent problems of the 90s might surface. 90s Beemers are know leakers, so check for oil leaks, also as I said it's a 90s car which means it probably lost quite a bit of horses, you might wanna dyno it to see just how much. BWMs from that era are also not knows for extremely reliable electronics (stereo, electric windows and so on). Also the bushes and balljoints of the front suspension give in quite easily which results in quite the crappy handling and sound, not to mention it's quite dangerous, so check on those. As for the money I really can't say because of three main reasons. First my brother had it from 2004 to 2009 and the prices of everything changed quite a bit since then, second I really don't know the prices of maintenance and spare parts are in your country and those quite differ quite significantly, third - other than routine maintenance was the belt which was no more than 30 euros

The guy I am buying this thing from owns a repair shop, so he has an in-detail recording of all the things he has done with the car over the past 8 years of owning it, which is nice. He already said something about the front suspention being replaced or tweaked, something about the saddles for the enginge itself being replaced. Derp.

If I actually knew more about cars, this would have been easier.

(02-14-2014, 09:18 AM)sindroms Wrote: The guy I am buying this thing from owns a repair shop, so he has an in-detail recording of all the things he has done with the car over the past 8 years of owning it, which is nice. He already said something about the front suspention being replaced or tweaked, something about the saddles for the enginge itself being replaced. Derp.

If I actually knew more about cars, this would have been easier.

Well if it's been looked after and has a good service history, then I reckon it's all good, and it's all up to you. Why don't you look for other similar Beemers for sale and compare their condition? Also something I forgot to mention, if you can buy a car from a place in which it doesn't snow during the winter. The snow is not the problem, it's the crap they treat the roads with which really messes up your fenders and side skirts

I live in Latvia, and I am buying the thing from Lithuania. We pretty much share the same weather conditions and our roads are rather shait. This was something my old man warned me about, that the car isn't really usable on our quality of roads, especially during winter.

Looks so damn good tho..

RE: Anyone here have any experience with BMWs? - Govedo13 - 02-14-2014

My rule of thumb as guy that have zero knowledge about cars is not to buy something older then 6 years and newer as 2 years, with more then 150 000 km and less then 50 000 km.
If you draw the line after several years of usage you pay the same price if you include all possible costs inclusive insurance and fuel.

If you does not have the money to buy with cash then take some leasing deal with expensive final rate that you does not need to pay after all because you does not need the car after 2-3 years of usage.
Especially if you does not have much money you can simply compare the prices of consumatives like tires and oil for this bmw and some more cheaper comparable brand, then compare the engine power/ fuel consumption with some other comparable cheaper brand. The old types of engines are not that efficient- you can get the same 2.0 90s output from 1.6 modern engine but with less fuel usage.