Discovery Gaming Community
A suggestion to curb the amount of lolwut zoner caps. - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Rules & Requests (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Rules (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: A suggestion to curb the amount of lolwut zoner caps. (/showthread.php?tid=112248)

Pages: 1 2 3

A suggestion to curb the amount of lolwut zoner caps. - Lythrilux - 02-20-2014

It's so simple. I can't believe I didn't think of this sooner.
So I'm sure we've all seen the Order and BHG Core IDs right? So I want to point out something that's commonplace on both IDs:
Quote:Pilot carrying this ID is a member of the BHG Core who:
Can demand contraband, levy fines, and destroy ships if they refuse to comply with contraband demands, refuse to cooperate or are affiliated with a house at war with BHG Core in the Omicrons.
Can hunt pirates and terrorists within the Omicrons and Omegas.
Can freely engage Order and Nomad players.
Can demand nomad biologics.
Cannot participate in unlawful actions except as described above.
May not enter any system containing a jumpgate while flying a cruiser or larger.
Quote:Pilot carrying this ID is enlisted in the Order who:
Can demand Artifacts, Nomad equipment and remains, levy fines, and destroy ships if they refuse to comply with demands within the Omicrons, Omegas, Alaska and Tohoku.
Can hunt pirates and terrorists within the Omicrons and Omegas.
May not bring a vessel cruiser sized or larger into any system containing a jumpgate with exception of Alaska.
Can freely engage Nomad, Wild and BHG Core players.
Cannot participate in unlawful actions except as described above.

Look at the two parts in bold. What if we were to put them on the Zoner ID? It'd look like this:
Quote:Pilot carrying this quasi-lawful ID is a Zoner, who:
- Can attack any ship in self-defense, to protect another Zoner ship, or in defense of Zoner bases.
- Cannot dock Cruisers and Battleships on any base within any house, except on Zoner bases.
- Cannot dock transports with more than 3,600 cargo within any House, except on GMG, IMG or Zoner bases.
-May not enter any system containing a jumpgate while flying a cruiser or larger.
- Cannot participate in unlawful actions except as described above.

With this simple line in place, this will:
  • Prevent lolwutting indies to fly Zoner caps into house space, either for the sake of pews or any other retarded reasons.
  • Keep these colony ships in the far borderworlds and edgeworlds, where they should be.
  • Give an advantage to the Zoner official factions, whom have their own IDs and do not have this line. May encourage people to join Zoner official factions. This will also be able to curb the outrageous use of Zoner caps by indies whilst still allowing official factions to use them freely.
  • Possibly increase the likelihood that people will acknowledge that Zoners are explorers, thus shouldn't be going to house space.

Addressing point number three, if you think I'm being elitist I will accept that fact. Firstly, Zoners shouldn't be having war-mongering fleets. These ships are meant for exploration. Secondly, it has been shown that 90% of Zoner indies who fly Zoner caps just can't fly them in line with both their IDs and the Zoner lore. Thirdly, I'm not being bias because I'm in a Zoner official faction or anything, I just tired of my awful experiences with these kinds of people. I have indeed met some good indie Zoners, but the bad ones just outweigh the good ones :/

This suggestion, in theory, should work. I read how before in older versions we had Bounty Hunters flying around in BHG Capital ships and causing problems for everyone, both inRP and ooRP. Once the relevant ID changes were done, all that cap lolwutism disappeared. Therefore, I am positive that we could apply this to the Zoner ID, and it'd make a positive difference to game play for everyone; still giving freedom to the people who RP them properly, whilst punishing the lolwuts.

Oh, and inb4 the Zoner Alliance come here and start telling me about how this is a bad idea. Well gentlemen, I have to give you kudos. You inspired me to write this.

RE: A suggestion to curb the amount of lolwut zoner caps. - Coin - 02-20-2014

can we have a systemcompat plugin? if you're in your house space, full core. out of that it drops exponentially. zoners can go where they like then, and can't defend themselves.

RE: A suggestion to curb the amount of lolwut zoner caps. - Zen_Mechanics - 02-20-2014

Sounds good, but then the ones who jump with zonnie caps wont be able to do money :| - But good none the less

RE: A suggestion to curb the amount of lolwut zoner caps. - Ponge - 02-20-2014

Then could you suggest an alternative ID/solution for scanner/jump ships? Or should I use a different jumpship for every House? I have a lot of cash, but not that much. I know this (neutral zoner scanner/jumper) is not quite "nice" RP-wise, but I am open to alternatives. Or RP-d (RP = I register my jumpship for the House I want to jump to) scanner/jump ships would be an exception?
(I want to make scanner/jump ship in a few days, so I am open to suggestions.)

Other question: I did not experience any problems with Zoner caps much, but do they enter House space often with caps other than scanning coordinates and jumping?

RE: A suggestion to curb the amount of lolwut zoner caps. - Lythrilux - 02-20-2014

(02-20-2014, 07:20 PM)Ponge Wrote: Then could you suggest an alternative ID/solution for scanner/jump ships? Or should I use a different jumpship for every House? I have a lot of cash, but not that much. Or RP-d (RP = I register my jumpship for the House I want to jump to) scanner/jump ships would be an exception?
(I want to make scanner/jump ship in a few days, so I am open to suggestions.)
Good point actually, I'm not sure how that can be balanced without allowing the lolwutism to continue.
(02-20-2014, 07:20 PM)Ponge Wrote: Other question: I did not experience any problems with Zoner caps much, but do they enter House space often with caps other than scanning coordinates and jumping?
Indeed, law enforcement deals with a lot of zoner caps who are just 'passing through', however they feel inclined to shoot at whatever tells them off.

RE: A suggestion to curb the amount of lolwut zoner caps. - Sabru - 02-20-2014

I like this a lot.

side effect: it curbs straight point to point jump trading. solution: jump to the gateless system thats closests to your destination. people can still jumptrade, and more traders roam between jump points and trade buy/sell points. traders attract unlawfuls, unlawfuls attract lawfuls (in theory, at least).

Though, if the nearest safe jump point is "owned" you should (at least out of courtesy) register your ship with the relevant faction. for example, Baffin

RE: A suggestion to curb the amount of lolwut zoner caps. - Lythrilux - 02-20-2014

(02-20-2014, 08:00 PM)Sabre Wrote: I like this a lot.

side effect: it curbs straight point to point jump trading. solution: jump to the gateless system thats closests to your destination. people can still jumptrade, and more traders roam between jump points and trade buy/sell points. traders attract unlawfuls, unlawfuls attract lawfuls (in theory, at least).

Though, if the nearest safe jump point is "owned" you should (at least out of courtesy) register your ship with the relevant faction. for example, Baffin

That could work very nicely, perhaps creating jump trade activity hubs?

RE: A suggestion to curb the amount of lolwut zoner caps. - Ponge - 02-20-2014

Yep, and if I want to trade in Colorado (copper ore) for example, I jump to either Cassini or Illinois? I doubt anyone would give permission for that. Some systems are simply unreachable this way, or this negates the benefits of jumptrading making it worthless.
Other good question about this: how would you jump to Gallia this way?

RE: A suggestion to curb the amount of lolwut zoner caps. - Hannibal - 02-20-2014

Quote: Poll: Should we restrict Liberty Navy from bringing caps into systems with jump gates?

Yup,that will do more wanders than what your currently asking for Smile

RE: A suggestion to curb the amount of lolwut zoner caps. - Echo 7-7 - 02-21-2014

This concept does have some merit.