Discovery Gaming Community
Some n00b questions - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Welcome (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=399)
+--- Forum: Help & Support (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Some n00b questions (/showthread.php?tid=112352)

Some n00b questions - Olowokandi - 02-23-2014

Hello everyone!

Just started playing Discovery some time short of a week ago and I have some questions for start. I have read all the begginer's guides and I have read the wiki extensively, but there is still some stuff left uncovered for me so here goes:

1. Is there any command to turn off the red messages in the multiplayer chat window? All the ''player departed'' stuff and the like. It really isn't necessary to me and it breaks the flow of other conversations.

2. Can a bomber hold ground against a fighter? According to the wiki, the bombers are designed to fight against bigger ships and fighters are there to kill bombers, but bombers have every stat better than a fighter except maneuverability I suppose, so can a bomber be a versatile good against everything kind of ship?

I was thinking between a Cutlass and a Thor (because I like the designs of the ships), the Thor seems better stat wise, but could a Cutlass be a viable option as well?

RE: Some n00b questions - Connor - 02-23-2014

I can answer number two. Yes, bombers can fend of against fighters. Quite often bombers will use SNACs to often kill a fighter. It is a one shot weapon that has a re fire rate of 5 seconds and uses up alot of core. You need to he really accurate and often lucky to hit though. Bombers aren't designed to take on fighters, but they can deal with it.

For number 1. You have to tell me if you're using anything like Discovery Launch Pad or A count manager. Then I can help you

RE: Some n00b questions - Stefz - 02-23-2014

If you're using discovery launchpad, which I highly recommend, there are two options. One is for enabling/disabling new player messages, the other for enabling/disabling departing player messages. If you're not using that, I'm not sure I can help.

On the second topic, as Snoopy already said, bombers can fend off fighters in some cases. Hell, I remember days when I used to pwn everything down in Omegas on my Hessian Thor, but if the fighter pilot knows what he's doing, he can easily dodge stuff you throw at him with a bomber. So, I wouldn't recommend using a bomber to hunt fighters.

RE: Some n00b questions - Olowokandi - 02-23-2014

Thanks!

Yes I am using the Launchpad, I just didn't see those options before heh, thanks.

Also related, if I am flying a Hessian Thor as a Freelancer (I am neutral with Hessians so I could buy it), will I encounter any problems with the authorities of the Houses? Is flying a renegade ship, even though you are not a renegade yourself, considered illegal?

RE: Some n00b questions - Echo 7-7 - 02-23-2014

(02-23-2014, 02:26 PM)Olowokandi Wrote: Thanks!

Yes I am using the Launchpad, I just didn't see those options before heh, thanks.

Also related, if I am flying a Hessian Thor as a Freelancer (I am neutral with Hessians so I could buy it), will I encounter any problems with the authorities of the Houses? Is flying a renegade ship, even though you are not a renegade yourself, considered illegal?

Generally speaking, the House authorities frown upon the use of pirate ships by Freelancers. This can range from punishments ranging from fines, demanding you change your ship, to being labelled as a pirate and being attacked yourself.

You could probably get away with flying a Thor in Kusari, since the Hessians haven't ever attacked there, but they're certainly hostile to the authorities of Rheinland, Liberty, and Bretonia.