Discovery Gaming Community
The Marauder Cup - The Race of Death. - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Server Events (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=411)
+---- Forum: Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+---- Thread: The Marauder Cup - The Race of Death. (/showthread.php?tid=113601)

The Marauder Cup - The Race of Death. - Lythrilux - 03-22-2014

So, here's a little idea JM has been discussing over the past 24 hours or so.

Hosted by the Junker Marauders - The Marauder cup!

The Marauder cup is a contest of speed, skill, stealth, wit, insight and craftiness. Contestants start off within the starting system and have to make it to the end. However, this is no simple task, as this race is more than meets the eye. The winner of the race is the person who accumulates the most credits and finishes the race.
Entrants will need to pay a 10,00,000 entry fee. This goes in a pot, which will be handed out to the winners accordingly. JM will also contribute to this pot.
Prizes will be done like:
  • 1st place wins x credits
  • 2nd place wins x credits
  • 3rd place wins x credits
  • Player who kills the most enterants wins x credits
  • Player who returns to the finish line with the most cargo wins x credits

Since this is a proposal, I'll just write it in bullet points for now:
  • Players start off in a designated starting system
  • The objective is to make it to the finishing planet/base in another system
  • Players are only allowed to fly freighters
As said before, players must make it from start to finish in their freighters. However, there are a few features in place that make this race different to others:
  • Each player starts off with 0 points
  • Players can gain points by killing other players. Each point you gain is worth 10 million credits. If a player with say, 4 points is killed by a player with 2 points, the player with 2 points will gain the 4 points from the dead player.
  • If you die, you are out of the race.
  • Once you reach the finish, you will receive 10 million credits per the amount of points you have.
Killing to win is another way that this race is diversified. You don't necessarily have to get to the end of the race to win, you could focus on eliminating your opponents so that you secure your own personal win: gaining the most credits.
And finally, we have a cargo based system too:
  • Each player is forced to start off with 200 units of contraband (this will be issued by JM and the player is only allowed to haul this contraband).
  • Players must begin the race with this, and finish the race with this. This adds greater excitement to the event as law enforcement will be encouraged to track you down for hauling contraband.

That's what we have so far. Aside from that, we have these rules:
  • Freighters must be Freelancer ID'd
  • Freighters will need to be tagged with a certain tag that we will create if they want to be involved in the race. Freighters without this tag will not be considered as enterants to the race.
]

We'll be working on a proper route soon, but I would like to know what the community thinks of our current idea.
Post feedback, point out holes and whatnot.

(This post was a bit rushed, as I really wanted to get the idea out and I feel a bit tired. I'm sorry if it's a bit confusing, just ask questions and we will answer them.

RE: The Marauder Cup - The Race of Death. - Lythrilux - 03-23-2014

No thoughts?

RE: The Marauder Cup - The Race of Death. - Red_One - 03-23-2014

Sounds like a laugh, will other freelancers be allowed to tag along and watch so long as they don't get involved in the race/fighting?

RE: The Marauder Cup - The Race of Death. - Lythrilux - 03-23-2014

(03-23-2014, 11:16 AM)Red_One Wrote: Sounds like a laugh, will other freelancers be allowed to tag along and watch so long as they don't get involved in the race/fighting?

Yes, that will be permitted.

RE: The Marauder Cup - The Race of Death. - Jack_Henderson - 03-23-2014

Ah! And I thought you wanted to use the race tracks (Hogosha and IMG have some).
My pieces of advice were aiming at these races, not at "through many systems" races.
The advantage of yours is that it is much less "centralised" and by that harder to sabotage by idiots.
Therefore my advice to have admins present might only be necessary for the start where the racers gather.

RE: The Marauder Cup - The Race of Death. - Highland Laddie - 03-23-2014

This is more of a "canonball run" style race than a track race, yes. They can be fun, but what worries me in this seems like a somewhat complicated point system. I'd maybe consider simplifying it a bit.

Also, I'm not necessarily a fan of the "killing to win" strategy, as that puts none of the emphasis on racing, and heavily favors the PvP crowd. Players should be encouraged to race.....not necessarily just shoot.

RE: The Marauder Cup - The Race of Death. - St.Denis - 03-23-2014

Quote:Players can gain points by killing other players. Each point you gain is worth 10 million credits. If a player with say, 4 points is killed by a player with 2 points, the player with 2 points will gain the 4 points from the dead player.
If you die, you are out of the race.
Once you reach the finish, you will receive 10 million credits per the amount of points you have.

The quoted figure above, I assume, is just for an instance? If not this will eat up most of the entrance fees (if a few deaths happen) leaving not much for the other places.

Quote:Player who returns to the finish line with the most cargo wins x credits
Unless you are talking about picking up other people's cargo when they die, how do you get more Cargo as you are giving everybody 200 to start off with. This seems to be aimed at the PvP orientated people. A Death Race 2000 scenario?

An idea would be to land at different points around Sirius either still carrying the same Cargo or exchanging it at the different points. You would require people at these points to 'log' their arrival.

At the start of your thread my interest was high but it appeared as I went further through it that it was just biased towards the people interested in PvP and so my interest level went down quite dramatically.

RE: The Marauder Cup - The Race of Death. - Sath - 03-23-2014

My advice is that the participants, be them lawfuls/smugglers/freelance mercs or anyone who are involved in this race should have been registered in this race somehow. All of them should be distinguishable(the lawfuls, unlawfuls and the mercs along with smugglers) with different tags.

So this makes it fun for everyone to know who are they going to face in their system instead of random named lawfuls busting up Smugglers everywhere in the course of the race.

The ones that are not registered should not involve or contribute to this race in anyway, positively or negatively. For those people, the race members are nothing but another of the NPCs or simply invisible in theory.

In that way there will be scope for competitiveness among the smugglers instead of the "just fly above the plane" techniques.

RE: The Marauder Cup - The Race of Death. - Ace Razgriz - 03-25-2014

Oooh. Can you give me a rough estimate of the start date? I plan on starting a news agency and would love to document it! (Maybe get a few journalists to cover different vantage points so I'm not running around constantly)