Discovery Gaming Community
I miss Disco. - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Real Life Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Thread: I miss Disco. (/showthread.php?tid=115073)

I miss Disco. - Narcotic - 05-04-2014

Hi,
I've just logged in again, to share this video with you dear community.

Ironically it represents quite well what I have felt last new years eve. And was finally a reason why I somewhat got more and more inactive. Telling myself to look up more often. And it's awesome.

At first I wanted to vanish without a noisy leaving thread, and in fact I never wanted to leave in the first place. So let's just call this a taking a break of indeterminate duration thread - if at all. I even wrote something up what I later didn't want to share, but now that I finally logged in again, I might just provide a few words - in case you're interested. If not, stop reading now.

I miss Disco. I miss my childhood. So do I miss most past things. Yet there's no going back. Progress is unstoppable. This also applies to online gaming. One might have joined a community, which today isn't the same he was eager to join at one point. Disco is like a relationship. You fall in love with someone, because you like something about her. You won't notice her changing by and by. Until at one point you'll realize; "No that's not who I fell in love with. That's not her anymore, but someone different." Now the question is: "Shall I break up and tell her, or shall I just let it go and see what happens?" The latter will make you a very bitter man. And the former you don't dare to do because you'll miss spending your everyday life with her. And what if it was just you who changed?! A real dilemma.

I'm a creature of habit and I hate changes. Yet you can't circumvent natural change. Now I've seen a lot of threads concerning "Disco's Death", "How to make the game fun again?", "Shall we change xyz? (Poll inside)", "How to stop people leaving?". On the one side I'm glad to see people being concerned about Disco's future. And on the other side I'm depressed of knowing that all this talk won't prolong this community's "break-up". It just keeps us busy, repressing any thoughts of the inescapable future.

I've told myself to not torture myself with watching the leaving rate increase at this time of the year again. Blame summertime. And I never was a noisy fellow who had to make a big deal about having a break or leaving for good. "I quit/leave." People have abused these emotional magic words often enough already. Mostly to draw attention and to express what in their opinion is wrong with this community, and what has to be changed in order to be honored with their future presence. Most of them returned anyways. In some way we're all addicts.

Reputation. People seek appreciation and recognition in online communities. We try to achieve a feeling of success with gaming. Whatever we lack in reality. Unfortunately most of us don't get it, that even in the internet, success comes only with effort. You want Discovery to be awesome again? You want to have a word? Be important? Then stop talking and start acting.

I'm not trying to advertise staff positions or alike. I'm just pointing out that one has to GIVE in order to RECEIVE. You want change? Do it yourself! Stop demanding, start offering. Devs didn't decide to become devs so they literally have to read every wish from the members' lips. Of course they do whatever they think is best for the mod and players. Can't satisfy everyone at once. And admins didn't became admins so they can be hated at, for not putting enough effort into their full time jobs. They're just helpful and sane people who dedicate time for your enjoyment.

It's a way of appreciation in exchange for what Disco gave them. Gratitude is what I miss. Stronger commitment! Not just complaints, hysteria and drama. I can't remember that we had that much stupidity like three years ago. Maybe that's a reason why more people seem to leave nowadays? Think about it. Be yourself the admin/dev you want to see. This game isn't ruled by bitter veterans who won't share their power with newcomers. That's a faked opinion of people who try to run Disco down.

Whatsoever, I won't get you anywhere with this talk, I know. In the end I've enjoyed my time here a lot. Being aware that the future won't be as bright as I hoped. And I won't force myself to stay any longer at times I rather feel like looking up. As already said; I'm not leaving. I'll just be spending less time in this forum. Still, I'll continue offering my services as moderator. My return service for what Discovery gave me.

That said, I don't regret having spent much time here. Sometimes, I thought I did. But everything has its good and bad sides. And when checking out the threads posted lately, I'm glad I can appreciate the good sides more. And that's what I'm going to do. In future I won't log because I feel I must, but for the fun only.

Fortunately there's more fun beyond the monitor. I'm okay with missing Disco, but I don't want to miss life.

~Narc

RE: I miss Disco. - NOVA-5 - 05-05-2014

Thanks Narc, you just made me see something there in your wisdom, an epiphany,
when i get home, i'm punching my neighbour straight in the face, nay twats taking the pesh,
he's in for it mate, cheers...

RE: I miss Disco. - Vexykin - 05-05-2014

Cheers Narc... I've also done the same...Looking up and seeing the life truly as it is and to just enjoy the journey :-)

I wish you the very best mate !

RE: I miss Disco. - Wraga - 05-05-2014

Thank you

RE: I miss Disco. - Caconym - 05-05-2014

Wise words.

RE: I miss Disco. - Sath - 05-05-2014

Incidentally saw the video just yesterday. I feel bad too. Thanks for the inspirational talk.

RE: I miss Disco. - NoMe - 05-05-2014

our poor life without love or friends due to our fantastic computer. the brain is the winner but we lose the reality!

RE: I miss Disco. - .Gypsy. - 05-05-2014

Fantastic video, Nice words, Thanks.

RE: I miss Disco. - Venture - 05-05-2014

Awesome narc, awesome wisdom, I hope someone learns from it.

RE: I miss Disco. - SnakeLancerHaven - 05-05-2014

Thanks for the generic message Narc. The point is, just talking about disco currently, we're trying to deal with a game where its developers left years ago. This game is now over 10 years old, look at Minecraft as example, it still has over 17 000 Players, the reason is its developers didn't give up on this project and are still releasing updates and having stuff under control. Look at Freelancer now, no single developer of Freelancer is around only Players with their Mods are keeping this game up, srsly it is not easy. We'll see how it'll turn out, narc is right in one point, play it for fun. I'm logging just because I'm enjoying the RP and PvP inside Discovery and just like it in generic, not because "OMG ITS ABOUT TO DIE, NOOO WE ALL GONNA DIE NOW" no, we wont Big Grin life goes on. Just play the game with its given rules and you'll see it might butcher up, if not chill and play if you like it so much Tongue but play it for fun. Yeah well here we come to Online Games srsly, I mean if we'd be playing only SPs up until now, it'd be like a book you know "Dude I played this game was freakin awesome I finished it" those were old times Tongue and I remember them very well Big Grin thats the thing in Online Games, you have to be careful so you don't get addicted, but Singleplayer is actually not that addicting. In the end, chill, the more you post negative "NO DISCO IS ABOUT TO DIE" the more you will think like that and make people leave, yeah its true sometimes we have to think "What did I do wrong?" Maybe its us.