Discovery Gaming Community
New pirate scanner idea - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: New pirate scanner idea (/showthread.php?tid=115100)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

New pirate scanner idea - Pavel - 05-05-2014

Pirates are at natural disadvantage - their bases are scattered, jump hole network is nowhere being good alternative to lanes and gates used by the lawfuls, and lawful factions were much more active for quite some time now.

Like that wasn't enough, traders have acces to 75% nerf battleship scanner, allowing them to spot potential raiders from 25k. That's wrong. BS scanner acces for transports was meant to be removed, but trader QQ made that impossible.

Of course, battleship scanner costs 250M, it's moneysink. That's very good, really, it should cost much, but that moneysink helps traders avoid pirates, it's detrimental for gameplay, for player-player interaction.It can be used by pirates flying transports, but I believe it's minority - that scanner is used mainly by lawful traders.

Now, we have situation when traders can notice pirate a long way ahead and avoid him, while pirates don't even see the traders. That's bad for interaction, very bad.

I think we could use new non-transport scanner in the game. Long general range, long cargo scanning range. No shorter than battleship scanner's stats, available only for pirate factions.
In my opinion it shouldn't cost 250M; it shouldn't cost more than average snub scanner.

Q: Why pirates need that? Why are you trying to destroy trading?!
A: Stop crying. Trading and traders as a whole are overbuffed now. Don't try to convince me it's otherwise, because I lead "cashmaking" faction for two years now and know the ropes. I doubt pirates were ever at so big disadvantage as they are nowadays, and now traders can even see them from 25k distance, jump out of line and escape, and pirates don't even see them. Add to that jumptrading, transport buff and we're home.
Having to choose between safe cashmaking on a dead server and having fun on alive one, I choose the latter. If you want to make bazillions in -absolute- safety, play single player.

RE: New pirate scanner idea - Jack_Henderson - 05-05-2014

I agree.
Make it 100 million, though.
So that we have money sinks on both sides of the fence.

RE: New pirate scanner idea - Pavel - 05-05-2014

Nope.avi.

Traders should pay extra cash for such perk. Pirates should get it by definition, for no more than 2 M.

Edit: We could always introduce AU9 or something like that, but moneysinks are topic for different discussion.

RE: New pirate scanner idea - Lythrilux - 05-05-2014

I love it. This is an awesome idea.

Though, speaking as a leader of a quasi lawful faction, how will this be balanced for quasi lawful factions that also partake in piracy?

K, Junkers get it at 75 or 90% too. Happy Lyth? Smile

RE: New pirate scanner idea - Deeceem - 05-05-2014

Even though I'd agree with your statement that this is wrong. Your solution seems a bit off to me.

Just make it unusable for traders.

Your idea basically would cause the same problem just with lawful/pirate interaction. Meaning that pirates could always see lawfuls earlier and would be able to avoid interaction with them without even being seen by lawfuls.

RE: New pirate scanner idea - Redon - 05-05-2014

(05-05-2014, 10:35 PM)Pavel Wrote: Like that wasn't enough, traders have acces to 75% nerf battleship scanner, allowing them to spot potential raiders from 25k. That's wrong. BS scanner acces for transports was meant to be removed, but trader QQ made that impossible.

So remove access for BS scanner for transports instead of coming up with odd scanner ideas. Who cares about whining traders? Traders have lived without 25K scanners for years. I can't believe this is even a thing. It makes no sense for a battleship scanner to be on a transport, and it ruins piracy.

That's exactly the point - pirates would see navy guys from long range away and escape, to pirate eslewhere. They wouldn't fall to lawful gank as they do now.

An attempt to take BS scanner away from traders resulted in such big QQ, "because so many people invested cash into that", that it was merely nerfed to 75%. 5kers will use BS scanner even at 1%, because they don't want powercore for guns, they care only to deliver cargo, and what's better friend in that than ultra-long range scanner?

Edit:

(05-05-2014, 10:45 PM)Redon Wrote: So remove access for BS scanner for transports instead of coming up with odd scanner ideas. Who cares about whining traders?

*points to the post above*

(05-05-2014, 10:43 PM)Pavel Wrote: K, Junkers get it at 75 or 90% too. Happy Lyth? Smile

Marauder ID 100% pls :}

(05-05-2014, 10:43 PM)Deeceem Wrote: Even though I'd agree with your statement that this is wrong. Your solution seems a bit off to me.

Just make it unusable for traders.

Your idea basically would cause the same problem just with lawful/pirate interaction. Meaning that pirates could always see lawfuls earlier and would be able to avoid interaction with them without even being seen by lawfuls.

Actually, this guy raises a good point.
However, as a counter argument, pirates shouldn't be going around picking fights. They're, well, pirates. It should be about stealing credits, then running away at the first sign of trouble.

I do see your concern though.