Discovery Gaming Community
Several Suggestions - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Several Suggestions (/showthread.php?tid=115355)

Pages: 1 2

Several Suggestions - Vendetta - 05-12-2014

Right, so we all know that Discovery has a seriously low population right now. This is due to several factors:

- School is in session, more people are likely to log in the Summer.
- Tech compatibility chart.
- Corsairs and Outcasts war was broken up.
- Focus on the Liberty/Rhienland war was shifted to New Hampshire, which people didn't like
- Gallia. ( This is just my personal opinion, don't actually count this)

Theres probably more that I didn't include, but I'm sure you get the right idea. So, here are some suggestions that I think might help bolster some activity in the server and other systems (Shift the focus away from Liberty)

1: Rebuild the systems between Omicron Alpha and Omicron Gamma, or simply bring back the Gamma-Theta-Eta-Alpha system. This would promote Corsair activity, and give the Outcasts something to pew on their home turf.

Prevent Corsair/Outcast caps from entering systems with a Jumpgate (Excluding the Tau's/Omicrons/Sigmas/Omegas)

2: Create a spawn system. Make a general system, boost the starting ship from a Civ shuttle to a Sunburst frieghter and change the starting credits to 500,000, which will help people trade, as some don't know how to use restarts.

In said system, add several one-way Jumpholes that will take the player to a House location (Eg. Pennsylvania for Liberty, other selected systems for Gallia, Kusari, Outcasts etc) which would give them the choice to start anywhere, rather than focusing on Liberty.

3. Get rid of New Hampshire. It's not and never will be the same as Texas raids.

4. I'm simply putting this here, because it gave Bretonia life: Bring back the Dublin gold rush. Mollies, BAF, BPA and traders would have something to do.

5. Get rid of several buffer systems, which since they were only added for trade reasons, made Discovery way too big, and decreased interactions between players. (Eg: Omicron-80.) If you don't want to get rid of them, at least make them an optional course instead of a forced one when transiting between systems.

6. Bring in some new lore with Kusari/Liberty. As it stands, Liberty and Kusari aren't in very good relations, and with Kusari being occupied by the GRN, Kusari has even more of a reason to apply pressure to Liberty. This would promote activity in Kusari, and drift it away from Rheinland/Liberty fights, which would cancel out number 3.

The war between Rheinland and Liberty is pretty much over anyways, maybe just give the Hessians something to do. I'm not sure what, as I don't play in Rheinland.

7: Nomads. I feel as though they've been neglected lately, aside from Tech changes (Gunboats with cruiser turrets is really really stupid and needs to be fixed.) Perhaps giving them a reason to spark up, maybe some type of lore change that would have them moving towards central Sirius would add activity in the edge worlds for the Order, Core, and Nomads themselves.

That's all I could really think of, but this is what I personally think would help save Discovery, and drift focus away from Liberty. Yes, there is more to Discovery than New York.

RE: Several Suggestions - Gaz83 - 05-12-2014

(05-12-2014, 10:45 PM)Vendetta Wrote: Right, so we all know that Discovery has a seriously low population right now. This is due to several factors:

- School is in session, more people are likely to log in the Summer.
- Tech compatibility chart.
- Corsairs and Outcasts war was broken up.
- Focus on the Liberty/Rhienland war was shifted to New Hampshire, which people didn't like
- Gallia. ( This is just my personal opinion, don't actually count this)

Theres probably more that I didn't include, but I'm sure you get the right idea. So, here are some suggestions that I think might help bolster some activity in the server and other systems (Shift the focus away from Liberty)

1: Rebuild the systems between Omicron Alpha and Omicron Gamma, or simply bring back the Gamma-Theta-Eta-Alpha system. This would promote Corsair activity, and give the Outcasts something to pew on their home turf.

Prevent Corsair/Outcast caps from entering systems with a Jumpgate (Excluding the Tau's/Omicrons/Sigmas/Omegas)

2: Create a spawn system. Make a general system, boost the starting ship from a Civ shuttle to a Sunburst frieghter and change the starting credits to 500,000, which will help people trade, as some don't know how to use restarts.

In said system, add several one-way Jumpholes that will take the player to a House location (Eg. Pennsylvania for Liberty, other selected systems for Gallia, Kusari, Outcasts etc) which would give them the choice to start anywhere, rather than focusing on Liberty.

3. Get rid of New Hampshire. It's not and never will be the same as Texas raids.

4. I'm simply putting this here, because it gave Bretonia life: Bring back the Dublin gold rush. Mollies, BAF, BPA and traders would have something to do.

5. Get rid of several buffer systems, which since they were only added for trade reasons, made Discovery way too big, and decreased interactions between players. (Eg: Omicron-80.) If you don't want to get rid of them, at least make them an optional course instead of a forced one when transiting between systems.

6. Bring in some new lore with Kusari/Liberty. As it stands, Liberty and Kusari aren't in very good relations, and with Kusari being occupied by the GRN, Kusari has even more of a reason to apply pressure to Liberty. This would promote activity in Kusari, and drift it away from Rheinland/Liberty fights, which would cancel out number 3.

The war between Rheinland and Liberty is pretty much over anyways, maybe just give the Hessians something to do. I'm not sure what, as I don't play in Rheinland.

7: Nomads. I feel as though they've been neglected lately, aside from Tech changes (Gunboats with cruiser turrets is really really stupid and needs to be fixed.) Perhaps giving them a reason to spark up, maybe some type of lore change that would have them moving towards central Sirius would add activity in the edge worlds for the Order, Core, and Nomads themselves.

That's all I could really think of, but this is what I personally think would help save Discovery, and drift focus away from Liberty. Yes, there is more to Discovery than New York.

Going to say I agree with most points you made. The main problems IMO are the connection between Alpha and Gamma and buffer systems.

And Gallia just needs to go, just retcon it so it never existed or have it overrun with Nomads or something.

RE: Several Suggestions - SnakThree - 05-12-2014

Guys, Gallia will stay. People don't play in it much either way.

(05-12-2014, 10:58 PM)Snak3 Wrote: Guys, Gallia will stay. People don't play in it much either way.

Exactly, which is why it was a bad idea to introduce it in the first place.

RE: Several Suggestions - Swallow - 05-12-2014

Today I've been lonely flying in the southern omicrons and decided to visit the Om-94... It was the first time I was there.
You know, it gave me a good feel of something fresh and new, I imagined what would it be if instead of well-known systems, well-known factions, well-known lore, we could get something less well known.
I immidiately recalled the first days/month feeling of playing this game, and that was pretty pleasant. I might be just wrong, but I think that no minor change would lure anyone back.

Also, another idea - an activity event.
We chose a day, and the goal is to log as many people as possible in predefined hours. What if it might sparcle some people's good memories? I have no actual idea on what this will bring, but wouldn't you be pleased to see over 150 players online?

(05-12-2014, 11:08 PM)Swallow Wrote: Also, another idea - an activity event.
We chose a day, and the goal is to log as many people as possible in predefined hours. What if it might sparcle some people's good memories? I have no actual idea on what this will bring, but wouldn't you be pleased to see over 150 players online?

How do you propose we go about that?

Errr... Just make a notification thread?

(05-12-2014, 11:12 PM)Swallow Wrote: Errr... Just make a notification thread?

No, what I mean is how do we go about attracting those 150 people?

We just make them log in at one time just to achieve high number.
Wouldn't it be a good start for some activity?

(05-12-2014, 11:16 PM)Swallow Wrote: We just make them log in at one time just to achieve high number.
Wouldn't it be a good start for some activity?

I agree high activity would be good. But for an event we would need something to attract that high activity. My question is what that could be.