Discovery Gaming Community
A question on gaming and sound. - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Real Life Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Thread: A question on gaming and sound. (/showthread.php?tid=115694)

Pages: 1 2

A question on gaming and sound. - Jihadjoe - 05-22-2014

Hey there folks. Just a simple question for you folks...

How much do you use directional sound to help you when playing FPS games? How helpful do you find it in terms of improving your awareness?

The reason I ask, is that due to being deaf in one ear (nerve damage), I find it difficult to determine sound direction.

There is a method I could use, which involves running the 7.1 surround output from a game, through a few different FX units to give each channel a distinctive tone, then mix it all down into mono and fire it at my own face... I can then learn the way things in the 3d environment sound when they are behind, infront, left right, etc, according to their differing sound qualities... But this is a pretty massive time investment for each game I play, and a lot of effort to set up.

I'm not looking for people to give possible solutions - I already have one of those, and the knowhow to implement it... What I want to know is how useful you find 3d sound when playing games - first person shooters in particular. This will help me determine whether or not its actually worth investing the time in setting this up and then re-learning how it works for each game

RE: A question on gaming and sound. - SnakThree - 05-22-2014

It's vital in FPS. You can preshoot enemies if you know that they are comming just right out of that corner. In some games you can shoot through walls based on the noise made behind it.

RE: A question on gaming and sound. - Tachyon - 05-22-2014

For me the relevance of 3d sound depends on the game (standart fps<->arena shooter) and the playstyle I am going for (casual fun<->performance oriented).

I wouldn't be able to properly play Quake Live without 3d sound. Not to speak of being competetive.

When it comes to the average modern shooter I can play just fine with broken headphones and lacking sound on one side. So unless I am playing on an extremely closed map with lots of corridors and edges, relying on reflexes and anticipation does the job.

RE: A question on gaming and sound. - Tyler - 05-22-2014

I think at least 60% of the kills I rake up in BF3 (or CS in the past, or any other FPS for that matter) are because of being able to use the sound. Footsteps, bullets flying past me because the sniper just missed or whatever, they all lead back to a point which helps me to pinpoint the target and blast away.

So yeah, I'd say damned important.

RE: A question on gaming and sound. - Traxit - 05-22-2014

Playing FPS Game's with no sound is like trying to PvP with no mouse

RE: A question on gaming and sound. - evanz - 05-22-2014

thats a bit harsh for his condition and to be honest doesnt help him at all, so pointless

i agree with tyler, having a 3d sound capability does definitely helps

RE: A question on gaming and sound. - Jihadjoe - 05-22-2014

(05-22-2014, 07:10 PM)Traxit Wrote: Playing FPS Game's with no sound is like trying to PvP with no mouse

No... Let me tell you what it's like being half deaf and existing.

You can hear everything that happens, just like a person with normal hearing does, however, you have no idea what direction its coming from. Now in social situations where a lot of people are talking at once, the main way humans determine who it is that is talking, is from where the sound is coming from... Without the ability to easily determine sound direction, you find yourself unable to work out who in a group of people is saying what. It means that often communication becomes rather odd. You move around the room a lot more than most people would, so that you get a chance to listen to people talking when they're actually near you and their voice therefore stands out from the amorphous mass of voices through its proximity.

You often find yourself subconciously walking to one side of someone or the other, depending on how much you want to listen to them. You can sleep really well.

And finally, despite having some hearing loss, you can still hear everything that happens in a videogame perfectly, except you cannot work out which speaker the sound has come from, and therefore do not know if the danger/target is to your left or right.

That is all. It's not like trying to walk without legs, or trying to PvP in freelancer without a mouse (although I can guarantee I'd still be better than you at that, even using a touchpad). It's not like trying to see without eyes.

In short, you learn to adapt. Because I do not remember anything different, my behaviour is different. I learned to use other cues in FPS games aside from sound. The whole purpose of this thread is to see if it is worth me bothering to try and consciously adapt the way I play FPS games.

Truth be told, my ear is better trained than yours ever will be (years of training and work in mixing live sound for bands, a year of working in a recording studio)... So learn some god damned decency before you start being a total *snip*.

*snip*.

Edit: Although apparently, using apostrophes without a braincell is like trying to use a can opener on an acorn.

Joe. The staff has decided to take your advice and clean up the forum. Don't be part of the problem. ~Garrett Jax

RE: A question on gaming and sound. - HuggieSunrise - 05-23-2014

The oldest fps's i remember barely HAD sterio. and then it was simply. a hint it was coming from left or right.

The default back then was mono.. and all you knew was really loud equiled... well if you didnt see it RIGHT BEHIND YOU.

i guess... for us old people who grew up on ataris pinball machines and nintendo for cash we might have gotten spoiled in this age of digital sterio.

RE: A question on gaming and sound. - King Owl - 05-23-2014

Ok as a Pro-Amature xbox and pc gamer. Which plays q lot of cod. , the sound need to be the best. Therefore Sound-Whoring is up. I use a headset which has the biggest fidelity, and a 7+1 sorround sound system. As well which give me the best audio

RE: A question on gaming and sound. - Govedo13 - 05-23-2014

I had a accident 7 years ago that caused me to loose 1/3 of the sensitivity in my left ear. I position myself right to the speaker, sometimes in meetings when there is one round table with 30 people on it and presenter in one end and you are a bit late is not nice.
However there is nothing shameful to speak with your colleges and switch seats.The guys that I met frequently knew it already so they save me place on the right side close to the speaker/presenter.

I am always full game sound off with moderate level of music in the background.
It could be helpful but I play for fun and have no intention to hear the explosions and pew pew.
Also about sleeping I can hear distinctive sounds that I know well like my alarm but you could have small party in the next room and it wont bother me.

My advice- ignore all types of headphones, no matter how good they are, prolonged use would damage your hearing eventually. If you are some young teen you might value the extra frags more but several years later you would regret big time using aggressive in-game sound on headphones.
Also avoid some types of parties where the music is brutal, it is really bad for you.
I suggest to watch this film : It’s All Gone Pete Tong