Discovery Gaming Community
Which language? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Real Life Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Thread: Which language? (/showthread.php?tid=116474)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Which language? - Wraga - 06-10-2014

So, I would like to start a new language. I was learning german when I wanted to focus on english, so just finished it, but learned in the school for 8 years.

I hope there are some of you who learn/use german, spanish, italian so please tell me the pros/cons about these languages and suggest me one of them to start.

As a side note, I need to make a basic exam with one of them in 3 months but I dont want to waste my time so after that I would like to coninue learning it.

Thanks

RE: Which language? - Singularity - 06-10-2014

I don't know any of the language mentioned in the polls, but all I can suggest that any language you study would be a plus point to your knowledge. Doesn't matter which one untill absolutely necessary for some specific purpose.

RE: Which language? - Wraga - 06-10-2014

(06-10-2014, 04:03 PM)Singularity Wrote: I don't know any of the language mentioned in the polls, but all I can suggest that any language you study would be a plus point to your knowledge. Doesn't matter which one untill absolutely necessary for some specific purpose.

At the moment I'm lucky enough to choose freely, but these are the possible options to choose from. I'm using english, hungarian and latin while doing my job, so the new one just will be the foam on the cake.

RE: Which language? - Strichev - 06-10-2014

In Europa fast alle Leute sprechen Deutsch.

Considering the ever-increasing power of Germany the best choice may be to learn German. Indeed, Spanish is also used widely.

German grammar can be difficult at times, pronunciation not so much. It is important to watch German TV or read articles in it. Otherwise you might end up just like I did, with a bare minimum of knowledge and a most annoying inability to understand spoken language, save for a few words.

I hear Italian is pretty easy to master on the other hand.

RE: Which language? - ChillerMiller - 06-10-2014

German is useless unless you're planning to work here sometime in the future.

I'd say go for Spanish. It's more useful than the other two languages from your list.

RE: Which language? - Savas - 06-10-2014

Romanian, Ukrainian, or Arabic.

Screw polls.

RE: Which language? - Narcotic - 06-10-2014

German is said to be one of the hardest languages. I'm grateful for being a native speaker of it.

I've learnt Spanish in school pretty well. And spoke Italian since I was a child due to my grandparent's private vacation home at Lago Maggiore we often have been.

Both Spanish and Italian are very similar I say. Many words are/sound the same. And the grammar is quite easy aswell (compared to French or German).

I'd suggest you to learn Spanish first, as it's very simple and the "second world language" besides English, as it's spoken at many places. And it'll make you understand Italian, too.

RE: Which language? - Deeceem - 06-10-2014

The question is, what do you want to get out of the language?

Do you plan to use it for a job later on or do you just want to learn it for the sake of it, because you are fascinated with languages or something like that?

In general I'd go for Spanish, which also would help you to pick up Italian afterwards easier. Narcotic already pointed out why to pick Spanish over Italian.

I used to work with people from the United States, who had to learn German. At first they were depressed with it, but after a while they liked "the complexity and the funny words you guys have". So I'd say only pick it up if you want to learn it for some specific reason or plan to work in a job where it -is- useful.

RE: Which language? - /// Drake /// - 06-10-2014

(06-10-2014, 04:13 PM)Narcotic Wrote: German is said to be one of the hardest languages. I'm grateful for being a native speaker of it.

I thought it was pretty easy at school.

But seriously, learn any language. If you're not learning specifically for a job or living there then pick any.

RE: Which language? - Cashew - 06-10-2014

I'm learning German in school, I would say the word ordering is the hardest part for me at the moment. I'm still learning the basics so I'm not some German guru..

Edit: It's good fun though Big Grin