Discovery Gaming Community
Jumpdrive idea - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Jumpdrive idea (/showthread.php?tid=116552)

Pages: 1 2

Jumpdrive idea - Thyrzul - 06-12-2014

[16:55:18] Thyr'zul - [C]: Jumptrading itself is stupid
[16:55:50] Thyr'zul - [C]: JDs are designed to fit on Battleships only for a reason -> they were meant to be used in combat
[16:56:18 | Módosítva 16:56:24] Mercarryn: well, as you can see, people even whine about jumpdrives bein used in combat to gtfo...
[16:56:26] Thyr'zul - [C]: what I'd like to see them turned into is a warp drive similar to the one on the Hyperion in SC2, you can even use it in HotS
[16:57:22] Thyr'zul - [C]: Mk1 jumps 2k forward, Mk2 jumps 3,5k, Mk3 jumps 5k forward, Mk4 does Mk3 with groups
[16:58:09] Thyr'zul - [C]: and the bigger it is the longer it spins up
[16:58:38] Thyr'zul - [C]: 30 secs, 1 min, 2 mins, 5 mins, etc
[16:59:04] Thyr'zul - [C]: still works as an aid at fleeing, but won't be as effective (read: OP) as it is now
[17:02:15] Thyr'zul - [C]: Jumping out of combat entirely, to refill and then to return is gone, jumptrading is gone, errybody is happeh
[17:02:19] Thyr'zul - [C]: what do you think?

So yea, what do you think about the idea?

RE: Jumpdrive idea - utrack - 06-12-2014

Don't think anybody would sacrifice 1K+ cargo for one bunny jump that's slower than cruise speed.

RE: Jumpdrive idea - Ponge - 06-12-2014

The PvP rule should be extended that jumping out of combat while in range (15k, or 10k like with docking) of attacker counts as PvP death.

RE: Jumpdrive idea - HuggieSunrise - 06-12-2014

why bother having the damn thing at all.

RE: Jumpdrive idea - Lythrilux - 06-12-2014

(06-12-2014, 04:14 PM)utrack Wrote: Don't think anybody would sacrifice 1K+ cargo for one bunny jump that's slower than cruise speed.

RE: Jumpdrive idea - SkyNet - 06-12-2014

Or we simply create a new ship class, specialy and only for jump drives. Like this one, just for example:

[Image: rheinland_jumperojfll.png]

If it goes this way, i want to register me as voluntary modeler :3

RE: Jumpdrive idea - Haste - 06-12-2014

Everyone who's ever use a blink-like ability in a game like SC2 knows how good it can be. Being able to instantly move 2k or so is actually quite a powerful ability. I'd suggest making this less fleeing-oriented and giving the JDs only a few seconds of spool-up but a fairly significant cooldown.

See a stream of cerbs headed your way? Jump out of the way.

RE: Jumpdrive idea - Thyrzul - 06-12-2014

(06-12-2014, 04:14 PM)utrack Wrote: Don't think anybody would sacrifice 1K+ cargo for one bunny jump that's slower than cruise speed.

The idea in the OP is a significant nerf to the current JD versions, it obviously wouldn't go through without some "buffs", such as less cargo space requirement.

(06-12-2014, 05:58 PM)Haste Wrote: Everyone who's ever use a blink-like ability in a game like SC2 knows how good it can be. Being able to instantly move 2k or so is actually quite a powerful ability. I'd suggest making this less fleeing-oriented and giving the JDs only a few seconds of spool-up but a fairly significant cooldown.

See a stream of cerbs headed your way? Jump out of the way.

Might have been wrong wording on my part, but I actually meant to mean an effective cooldown with these two lines:

[16:58:09] Thyr'zul - [C]: and the bigger it is the longer it spins up
[16:58:38] Thyr'zul - [C]: 30 secs, 1 min, 2 mins, 5 mins, etc

(read "the longer it spins up": the longer it will be until the next blink)
With cooldowns (well, yea, better I use this word too) like these an instant jump might be powerful, but the captain will have to think strategically to decide when to use it.

Actual time delay between the execution of the command and the blink itself was not part of the original concept I posted in the OP, but I would not be against the idea.

RE: Jumpdrive idea - FallenKnight - 06-12-2014

Jump drives are fine.
They are working as intended - to transport you somewhere else to do trading, invasion or escape.
The problem does not lies in the implementation but the rules because just like any other game - if low attitude players find a glitch/hole in the rules - they will abuse it until its been Nerfed and forgotten.

JDs allow a lot of RP events and meeting to be realized at very long distance. Also they are one of the best and possibly main equipment for the current carriers - due to the buff of the docking modules, taking 0 cargo now.
Nerfing JDs right now means to nerf the carrier class which happens to serve its purpose well.

Instead of pointing the JD - admins should simply start testing how to fix the issues behind JD usages not JD technology. They can start by making a test period of 1 month during which every player that jumps in PVP will be counted as "dead". If during this month there are no other issues rising behind JD usage in PVP - it should stay that way.

@Thyrzul, what you are suggesting may be better implemented as a totally new equipment next to JD, cloak and HSS. More options are always welcome and would give new ideas and choices to the players.

RE: Jumpdrive idea - Haste - 06-12-2014

(06-12-2014, 08:44 PM)FallenKnight Wrote: They can start by making a test period of 1 month during which every player that jumps in PVP will be counted as "dead".

So, there's two options here:

A) Balance / redesign a gameplay element so it can't really be abused.
B) Apply a band-aid in the form of additional rules because a certain game mechanic can be easily abused.

I know which one I'd pick. Or any half-decent game developer.