Discovery Gaming Community
The Origin of QAI - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Role-Playing (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Stories and Biographies (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+--- Thread: The Origin of QAI (/showthread.php?tid=116742)

The Origin of QAI - Wildkins - 06-17-2014

The Origins of QAI
Chapter One: Proteus

Battleship James, Virginia System. 819 A.S.

Rear Admiral Matthews entered the meeting room. He hadn't been told much about this meeting. Something secret, likely LSF involvement. Probably had to do with the Rheinland conflicts. Maybe some new plan to get around the blockade, like New Hampshire was. He was surprised, however, to see Fleet Admiral Hale sitting on the other end of the table. Matthews expected others, maybe some Admirals, some middle command officers, but it appeared it would only be him and Hale.

"Have a seat, Admiral. I'd like to talk about some...options."

Matthews nodded, taking a seat opposite Hale.

"As you know, we've been suffering some losses of late, particularly in large-scale engagements with Rheinland capital vessels. You're the senior Capital Ship Warfare adviser, and thus I deem it necessary to confer with you to discuss a solution."

Hale shuffled some papers on his desk, before producing a dossier. The front of it was labeled with large amounts of Top Secret stamps, LSF and Navy warnings, and at the very bottom, a Navy R&D insignia. He handed the dossier to Matthews.

"You may have heard of the mysterious vessel we destroyed in Kansas. It was very maneuverable, rather large, but clearly designed to act as a scout or fighter. When it was brought into the labs, we discovered something very interesting."

Matthews thumbed through the papers and pictures within the dossier. His expression shifted from confusion to curiosity as Hale continued.

"The vessel was not Nomad in design, as we had first thought. In fact, it was seemingly piloted by some kind of sentient computer. The design was mostly silicon, although other components were present. That dossier right there details the full composition, as well as something else."

Matthews flipped to the final section of the dossier. As he read, a puzzled look formed on his face, before morphing into a smile. He looked up at the Fleet Admiral.

"You want to create one to fight the Rheinlanders."

"That's what we intend. Preliminary reports show that we should be able to create some kind of limiting device that restricts problems we've faced with earlier attempts at creating artificial intelligence, such as the machine becoming self-aware. But, moving off that, consider the possibilities: an artificial intelligence with the mental capability of a thousand men, and the knowledge of the Liberty National Library, actively working to discover every tactical and strategic weakness in the Rheinlanders' equipment and strategem, as well as every possible move and outcome that we could make at any point in time. It's too strong of an advantage to give up."

"I see. But why confer with me, sir? You're in command - it is your decision whether we pursue this or not."

"I've made my decision. That is not why I called you here. I called you here because I am informing you of your movement to the LNS San Antonio. It is a Dreadnought, and an experimental test bed for the Navy Research Division. You are to oversee the installation of the AI unit once it is completed, and then perform a six-month shakedown run on the front lines of the Rheinland conflict. Once the AI is installed, I expect bi-weekly reports on your ship and the AI's status."

Matthews' expression changed from happiness to surprise, and his face took on a serious tone. He nodded, and began to stand, saluting as he did so. The Fleet Admiral returned his salute, and as Matthews began to turn around and walk out, he gave one final message.

"Make me proud, Matthews. This thing might just win us the war."

"Yes, sir."

// Feedback thread here: http://discoverygc.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=116616

RE: The Origin of QAI - Wildkins - 06-24-2014

The Origins of QAI
Chapter Two: Artificer

LNS San Antonio, 820 A.S.

Matthews awoke to the sound of his alarm clock. "Today's the day", he thought as he shuffled out of his bed. He changed into his dress uniform and, before long, was on his way to the Bridge. This was the day when that experimental AI would finally be installed into the mainframe of the San Antonio, and maybe, just maybe, it would work.

He inserted his keycard into the slot on the airlock and walked onto the Bridge. Various junior officers were running about, conversing with each other and bringing up readouts on different displays. His XO, Captain Davian MacMillan, turned around and saluted, before calling "C.O. on deck!". The officers stopped what the were doing and saluted him, and he returned the salute with a hearty "At ease, men."

Matthews walked up to the center console and took a seat in the Captain's chair. It wouldn't be long before the science crew came aboard and installed the AI, and he needed to make sure everyone was prepared for it. He ran through various calls and checks, seeing how each section of the ship was prepared. As the science crew called that they had made it aboard and were beginning installation, all networks were shut down and all computers were slaved directly into the mainframe, with all external access shut down. In this case, if the AI were to go rogue or rampant, only the ship's computers would be affected, and the rest of the fleet would be safe from any viruses or malice. Now that the ship was secured, Matthews could rest easy and wait for the installation to complete.

--- Several Hours Later ---
The science crew finally reported that initial installation was complete, and that the Admiral should report to Engineering to oversee the setup. He made his way down the various corridors before entering the Engineering foyer, where the large computer system was being worked on. In the center, where the Mainframe usually laid, was instead a large, black box, with numerous Navy and R&D symbols. The center of the box had some kind of large screen, but it was currently not on.

"Admiral, we're about to boot up the AI," one of the lead science officers said, before turning to his crew and ordering them to various positions. One by one, parts of the black box began to glow with a blue energy, before finally, the screen began to light up:

// Feedback thread here: http://discoverygc.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=116616