Discovery Gaming Community
Remove "inactivity"? Change Disco? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Remove "inactivity"? Change Disco? (/showthread.php?tid=118174)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Remove "inactivity"? Change Disco? - Narcotic - 07-21-2014

I won't start a roman here, but just give my take on how we could make the mod a more enjoyable place (again). Most of my ideas have the result of making player interaction more common and easier. Which is basically the core of this mod; Roleplay interaction between players.

1. Step: Guard System Removal

Lock all guard systems that are basically dead ends and aren't used as routes to somewhere else. Or try to simply change the routes to avoid them. (Worked in vanilla.)

Recycle all the guard system's content (stations, planets, nebulas, structures) and put them into existing non-guard systems. So they'll at least get some roleplay value, too. Considering that guard systems weren't counted as existing in the roleplay environment. Things still shouldn't get too crowded. Use of upper/lower plane is an option.

As systems can't be deleted, they'll either remain as locked/unused mod relicts (or can be used for event systems, planet atmospheres, inner nomad hives, inside of large asteroid stations or whatever other cosmetics).

2. Step: Shrink Gallia

To those who remember .85 Gallia - it had just 5 systems, which were just perfect by the number. Revert the layout, lock the gates again (can be an inRP consequence to keep the change in roleplay, since they're not all guard systems).

I frankly doubt, that anyone would mind having the Gallia we have today, be gone. And since I don't want the assets and Igiss' overall concept be declared void, we should find a reuse.

3. Step: Shrink General System Size

Decrease the distances between stations/planets/jumpholes. Exception from this are systems with lanes, for piracy/trading/police reasons. An obvious target would be the Omicrons/Omegas/Taus.

Exploration will still be a thing, considering the "new" assets coming from guard/gallia systems.

4. Step: Mandatory Economy Overhaul

Obviously, all these changes require a complete economy overhaul. Though, as I recall, Xoria uses a program calculating the prices by distance etc.

However, one could even try to give the commodities prices according to their true roleplay value, so no awkward prices and trade routes will exist. Though, I'm not sure if this can be done by hand.

5. Step: Find Motivated Helpers

People always request "change this, change that", but most of them can't be bothered to actually help doing stuff instead of shouting "REMOVE" 24/7. The current devs are doing a great job, no matter their low number.

The changes I've listed will require input from every community member that feels concerned about disco's current status. It won't change by itself.

Side note: I haven't touched other game balances such as factions/ships/equipment (yet). In my opinion, that wouldn't change much and just end up in never ending discussions/flame wars/QQs.

What I've just written here was more of a spontaneous appeal, and more a result of me being annoyed about people who seemingly know what's best for the mod, cursing the mods and admins for "killing Disco", because they won't listen to their perfect solutions.

My idea has flaws, too. That's why I share it with you, so you can contribute your ideas, which might end up in a possibly working final plan, which we then can present to the devs.

Share your thoughts; What's good? What's bad? What needs improving? Doubts?

RE: Remove "inactivity"? Change Disco? - Vredes - 07-21-2014

I agree with all the ideas but the Shrink General System size. They have to be enlarged instead. Give more opportunity for pirates. Maybe reduce the scanner range in Nebulas not only the cargo scan range?

RE: Remove "inactivity"? Change Disco? - Fluffyball - 07-21-2014

I have the very risky idea about the problem with jumpholes, that would went into inactivity and be destabilised (like the jumphole in Tohoku, was it that jumphole), what would justify shrinking Sirius a bit. About the guard systems, we would re-use them and put into systems where are jumpholes to, akin to the idea of Zone 21 in New York.

I would combine Alaska and Ellesmere, because half of Alaska is just void, so there shouldn't be any problem to put second sun and fill half or 1/3 of the map with Ellesmere Badland-like voidness.

I am suprised a bit to see that we agree at some points... What about my idea of merging some systems (my idea of Pocket Sirius) in point 3: Omegas, Omicrons, Taus) into sectors? Or I should repeat that jumphole instability what would lead to cut off some routes.

Also... wasn't there one star (can't remind the system though) is very close to the supernova? I can recall it was one of the Gallic systems. If not, why Nomads are not able to blow up systems like they did in past with Sol?

RE: Remove "inactivity"? Change Disco? - HassLHoFF™ - 07-21-2014

+1 aaaaaaaaaaaaaand remove Conn Big Grin

RE: Remove "inactivity"? Change Disco? - Foochow - 07-21-2014

Sounds good. I like the most of the ideas. Expecially shrinking systems and removal of useless guard systems.

RE: Remove "inactivity"? Change Disco? - Zayne Carrick - 07-21-2014

I don't think that current guard systems are wrong.
Some trade routes are including them, stations there have logical infocards, which are fitting into faction's lore.

You're claiming that all those stations aren't existing inRP? If it's true, I'd really like to see green statement, claiming that guard systems should be treated as Connecticut. Actually, I've seen people filing SRP requests using objects within guard systems.

(07-21-2014, 06:31 PM)Zayne Carrick Wrote: I'm don't think that current guard systems are wrong.
Some trade routes are including them, stations there have logical infocards, which are fitting into faction's lore.

You're claiming that all those stations aren't exist inRP? If it's true, I'd really like to see green statement, claiming that guard systems should be treated as Connecticut. Actually, I've seen people filing SRP requests using objects within guard systems.

I would opt for Zone 21-like zones instead of completly separate systems.

RE: Remove "inactivity"? Change Disco? - Narcotic - 07-21-2014

(07-21-2014, 06:24 PM)Vredes Wrote: I agree with all the ideas but the Shrink General System size. They have to be enlarged instead. Give more opportunity for pirates. Maybe reduce the scanner range in Nebulas not only the cargo scan range?

(07-21-2014, 06:18 PM)Narcotic Wrote: Exception from this are systems with lanes, for piracy/trading/police reasons.

Piracy in systems with no trade lanes is quite inefficient, and I've only seen it in very rare cases. Like pirates sitting at jumpholes. Though, only very few traders trade in systems without lanes.

Though, that nebula scanner range thing should be an option. It's not even hard to implent. Just changing a few numbers in the code.

(07-21-2014, 06:28 PM)HassLHoFF Wrote: +1 aaaaaaaaaaaaaand remove Conn Big Grin

I proposed it to the devs already two years ago, and they've rejected it. So will they today, given the controversy.

(07-21-2014, 06:31 PM)Zayne Carrick Wrote: I'm don't think that current guard systems are wrong.

You're claiming that all those stations aren't exist inRP?

(07-21-2014, 06:18 PM)Narcotic Wrote: Lock all guard systems that are basically dead ends and aren't used as routes to somewhere else. Or try to simply change the routes to avoid them.

Trade routes can be changed. And I'm pretty sure, that guard systems have been declared non-existing in the roleplay environment in the past. Not entirely sure if it's still the case today.

RE: Remove "inactivity"? Change Disco? - Sath - 07-21-2014

Great, I like most of the things you mentioned. All of them are good to hear, but the general question remains "who do we contact to change what?".

Since, as a community member, I can give ideas, and my views on different aspects of the game. But since, I, and most of the members don't know how things work inside the dev team, their decision making and if at all we could contribute, what we can contribute, I don't know how to help them, with whatever I can possibly do.

Also, on the Gallic part, there are a lot of useless systems in there. Some systems, I haven't seen much activity, if not no activity since I started playing are : Artois, Auvergne, Corse, Franche-Comte, Savoie.

The rest of the Gallic systems can be shrunk in size, with the removal of a lot of space objects such as undockable planets (is it only me, or anyone else thinks that there are hell a lot of those planets in Gallia). Gallia indeed has a lot of potential, and with the removal of the said systems, and the shrinkage in size, with the addition of some Gallic origin commodities, and contrabands, I can see Gallia being more active.

The economy seems reasonable to me. Instead of a complete overhaul, people can point out the ones that don't make sense, or some commodities that are not properly used when and where possible. It is more less work and would actually let the people choose and give ideas about commodities that are mostly traded, used in the mod.

And removal of guard systems is a good option too, bar the few ones that provide some activity, and those eye candies in there can be used in some other system maybe (?). While the Omicrons would be shrunked/reworked apparently, thanks to Treewyrm, the Omegas and the some of the Sigmas maybe good with some reworking too.

And yet again, I am just a common member, who likes to play here, and wants this place to be a better one. I don't know how these things will be implemented, but to my knowledge, if they are implemented, that will be awesome.

Because of the inactivity (and that star close to supernova was in Gallia, I would cut my finger for that!), why not to make that star explode? I can remember it was a rather hub system, what would impact Gallia greatly and wipe out few systems.