Discovery Gaming Community
A Junkers' Enterprise - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Role-Playing (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Stories and Biographies (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+--- Thread: A Junkers' Enterprise (/showthread.php?tid=119213)

Pages: 1 2

A Junkers' Enterprise - WildBill - 08-14-2014

// The prelude to this started in The Drunken Junker.

The hallway leading to the docking bays is dark and empty. Two distinct footsteps can be heard echoing down the corridor. The loud clicks produced from the heels of cowboy boots are mirrored by the softer thuds of combat boots. Two dark figures make their way down the corridor. Their breath is frosted in the air. This station is poorly heated and the cold temperature from the pure vacuum outside has left a frosty coating along the walls. To a keen observer it would be obvious that these two men are pilots, used to the near freezing conditions of space.

By their appearance they share a similar taste in dramatic colors. Both are draped in black garb. This, however, is where the similarities between the two end. One strides slightly ahead of the other. His black duster is drawn tight, shielding him from the cold. The tips of his black cowboy boots peak out on each step. Hands covered by faded black work gloves. A black cowboy hat drawn low on his brow, leaving only the lower half of his face visible. A Texas cattlemans handlebar mustache adorns his face, hiding most of his mouth. Laugh lines and slight wrinkles are etched into the toughened skin. His stride is slower, hindered by a slight limp. A betting man would guess his age to be around 60'ish.

The other is much younger. He appears to be in his early 20's. While he is also draped in black, it is of a newer style. Sleek black leather “biker” style jacked, zipped up against the cold. Hands mostly covered by black leather gloves, each missing a single digit, the trigger fingers bare. Black jeans, cuffs pulled over the tops of black combat boots. His face is bare, clean shaven, only marred by a slight patch of burned skin on his left cheek. Long dark brown unkempt hair is plastered to his forehead, neck, and curled around his shoulders.

It's obvious by the dust, grime, and grease stuck to these two that they are Junkers. They continue to walk in near silence, the only sound is the echoes of their footsteps. As they near the end of the corridor the older one pulls a remote from his pocket. He points it at a large, rust covered square door. A few moments after pressing a button the rusted gears start turning and the door shrieks as it slides along a not so well maintained track. As the door opens it reveals a large, well lit, hangar. Sitting inside the hanger is a massive haul of a ship.

The ship is covered in rust. Parts of the haul plating is missing, or patched. This ship carries the appearance of a vessel once used to haul people. Six large fuel cells line the port side. A large engine takes up the entire aft section. Lighted walkways encircle the entire haul, once used as viewing decks for passengers. A large control room or “bridge” sits atop the rear upper section, just in front of the engine. Taking in the entire view, the younger Junker scowls, while the laugh lines on the older Junker betray a smile.

RE: A Junkers' Enterprise - LoydWingly - 08-20-2014

As I stand there, looking at this old rust bucket, a smirk pulls on my lips. I gesture toward another rusted door, and pull out a remote. The doors slowly slide open to reveal a Luxury liner with a few scrapes and dents as you would expect from a junker. Overall, it's in good shape, almost new. "I see your ship is a little outdated there." I say with a widening grin, and quick chuckle. I hope this ship runs better than it looks. I scratch my head, and turn fully around to face Bill. "So what are your plans exactly? A man like yourself should be able to get a newer ship. A ship like this is truly a piece of junk, and will probably fall apart the first time it leaves this station!" I walk over to this ship of Bills, and start walking around it tapping on a few things, and still can't get over how old it is. I walk back over to Bill, and wait for him to fill me in on the job.

RE: A Junkers' Enterprise - WildBill - 08-20-2014

Wild Bills' face quickly turns from the appearance of a smile to a neutral stare. A fleeting thought of utilizing his signature stare passes through his mind. This, however, is not the appropriate situation for such a dramatic solution. This is an opportunity to school this young Junker. He clears his throat in anticipation for the speech he is about to make. His reply is made in a loud yet stern voice.

“Listen up. This here ship has been through hell an back. I already got me a Luxury Liner, but I'd put this ole girl toe to toe with one of them newer models any day of the week. She's seen more'n most ships, an been through twice as worse. This here is my flagship an my home. An she won't stand fer insults.”

Wild Bill begins to limp around the front portion of the ship with Loyd following closely behind. He doesn't wait to see how Loyd has taken to the chastisement, it is time to move on to business. In a much calmer voice he begins to lay out his plans.

“I got me a fleet of ships. I can jump behind the controls of any number of ships, be it a Salvager, Recycler, Combat Service Vehicle, Wrecker, Luxury Liner, or Collector. Problem is, I got no way of movin between em easily. If you ain't noticed I got me a hitch in my giddy-up. Gettin too old to be shuttlin round between these ships. I aim to fix this. You an me is gonna put some sorta robot in each of my ships. I wanna sit in the comfort of this old bird an pilot them ships remotely. If'n yer keen to the idea an the work then I got the credits to make it worth yer while. Before you answer, take yerself a moment to really think it over. I don't want folks knowin what I'm up to, or how I run my operation. I got a mind to teach you a few trick of the trade. Well, what say you?”

RE: A Junkers' Enterprise - LoydWingly - 08-21-2014

This guy has a plan. I haven't really heard of something of this magnitude before. It is quite brilliant, however, an uncommon job. He isn't a fool, and he's been around for a while. If he's got deep pockets, I could use the credits. The added knowledge and experience is a bonus. After we stop walking I look at the ship then back at him. "I don't know exactly what you need me to haul, but I will accept. I don't know how or when you decided this, but very impressive!" I take my hands out of my jacket pockets, and put one out to shake his hand.

RE: A Junkers' Enterprise - WildBill - 08-22-2014

As hands are shaken the laugh lines crinkle on the older mans face. This has been a great start. It's time to see if Loyd is really up to the task. “First thing we'll be needin is some basic supplies. Gotta make her hospitable fer a few of the folks we're gonna be hirin. Shouldn't be too hard fer you to git some Food, Water, and Oxygen. Git em, an git em back here.” Bill states to the younger man. He pauses, and squints, a look of pure calculation on his face. He then adds “Gonna need bout 250 of each.” He waves dismissively at Loyd, and begins eying his prized ship. With a low sigh he grabs hold of an ancient rusted ladder and begins the slow climb to the port hatch. Nearing the hatch he looks over his shoulder and see's Loyd still watching him. “Yer still here? Git out there an git those goods. I'll git the cargo bay ready.”

RE: A Junkers' Enterprise - LoydWingly - 08-25-2014

I set off to find Food, Water, and Oxygen. I was stationed in Puerto Rico. I knew of a planet close by in Texas by the name of Houtson. The ride over there went smooth, and easy. As I come in for landing I see plenty of buildings, and landing pads I take one close by. I shut down my ship, and slide out of the cock pit. I open the exit hatch, and slide down the ladder. I pass a few people on my way, nobody I know, or care to know. I make my way to the front desk, and see a balding man wearing a gray button up shirt with dress pants on. "Hey I need to buy some supplies I am sure you have plenty to sell in this establishment?" The man turns to my left, and points. "You go down this hall, third turn on the right, and through the first door." I nod, and walk that way. I find my way into the room, and see a few pilots walking around, and a man by a market. I don't seem to catch anyone attention as I approach the merchant. "I would like to load my ship with 250 of food, water, and oxygen. " I say as I show him the credits needed. "Very well sir." He snaps, and sends men out with me to load up my ship. I wave at the men, and quickly crawl back into my ship. I take my leave of the planet, and start cruising back to Puerto Rico, where Bill will be waiting for me.

RE: A Junkers' Enterprise - WildBill - 08-27-2014

Bill stands alone in the hold of his ship. Looking around he realizes La Fortaleza's docking bays will not be adequate for the task at hand. He begins the process of moving his fleet to Vieques Shipyard. Moving one ship at a time and shuttling back is time consuming. As Controller, the last ship in his fleet, docks with Vieques, a small alert sounds on his communications panel. Looks like Loyd has made it back with the supplies.

His ship, Controller, looks miniscule in comparison to Vieques. The Salvager Loyd positions nearby is even smaller yet, in comparison, to both Vieques and Controller. He pays Loyd generously as the requested cargo is transferred between the two ships.

Screen 1
Screen 2
Screen 3
Screen 4
Screen 5
Screen 6
Screen 7
Screen 8

As the massive ship begins to dock, its pilot prepares and transmits another communication to Loyd. “Now that we got some supplies, we're gonna be needin some folks who can fix the old girl up. I'd make a bet there are some Scientist types out an about. I don't care how you git em, but we need em. Pay em, steal em, don't matter much to me. Gonna need bout 10 of em.”

RE: A Junkers' Enterprise - LoydWingly - 08-28-2014

Not long after getting paid (generously) for my first haul, I received another order for some scientists. It stated that it really didn't matter where or how I acquired said scientists .I searched around for some, but it took a while for me to formulate a plan of action. Through my various contacts I learned that Ames Research Station in Kepler keeps quite a few scientists on board. When I approached Ames I was not sure if I would find the intellectual minds required, but I had to try. The only other viable option was to find a slaver willing to take the risk to "acquire" some scientist. While I am not opposed to slavery in general, free and willing scientists would be more likely to get the job done right. I asked around the docking bay and quickly found the direction to the local bar. Once in the bar I allowed some of my newly earned credits to fall freely into the right hands. I have found that "greasing the wheels" has always produced the best results in these situations, and this time it was no different. It didn't take long to discover that a renowned scientist by the name of Alexander Muelski often frequented the establishment. With just a few more credits I was able to discern that Alex had recently gambled away his family's fortune and was now near credit-less. So I kicked back and waited for him to make his nightly appearance. I didn't have to wait long. It was nothing to pay off the bartender to get Alex completely wasted. That's when I made my approach.
"Mr. Muelski, my name is Loyd. I am here on behalf of a fellow Congressman who would like to hire you to do a bit of research." I state as I sit down at his table. He grunts and replies with "It's Dr. D-O-C-T-O-R. Get its right, and we might have ourshelvesh a little dishcushion." This conversation has started off on a bad note, I will have to choose my next words carefully. I might as well lay it all out for him. "I'm sorry. Dr. Muelski. I have a friend in the Junkers Congress that very much wants your help. He has deep pockets and will pay you handsomely. The job requires a team, if you have one, and the utmost discretion. As a guesture of good faith I am willing to pay you up front 5,000,000 credits, and my friend will pay 50,000,000 once the job is complete. If you decide to embark upon this endeavor then I will be waiting for you aboard my ship, it's the only Luxury Liner parked on this station." Without waiting for a response I quickly turn around and start to leave. I hear a chair fall behind me, and Dr. Muelski stumbles after me. "I do have a team... hic... I'll have them meet ush on board." he states with greedy eyes.

This has gone better than expected. Hopefully I'll have his team on board Bill's Controller before he sobers up. Bill may not like this cocky drunkard, but I have done as asked.

RE: A Junkers' Enterprise - WildBill - 09-02-2014

Several days of hard work have left the old Junker exhausted. The ship is ready. The cargo bay has been modified into living quarters and a large lab. A loud beep wakes him from a deep sleep in his private quarters. His head is clouded, vision blurred. As he stumbles to the bridge he realizes the sound is coming from his com panel. As adept fingers fly across the keyboard a short message appears on the screen. It's from Loyd, letting him know he has the scientists and is in route. He quickly takes control of his ship and begins undocking from Vieques.

As Controller maneuvers into position along side Vieques a Salvager appears on the scanners. It's Loyd's ship. Bill quickly leaves the bridge of his ship and prepares to take on his new guests.

Screen 1, Screen 2, Screen 3, Screen 4, Screen 5, Screen 6, Screen 7, Screen 8, Screen 9, Screen 10, Screen 11.

The last Scientist to be loaded onboard is a heavy set, balding man. His cheeks are red and eyes puffy. This man is a drunkard. The old scientists drunken state does not go unnoticed by Bill. A scowl crosses his face. He sends a quick communication to Loyd about the unsatisfactory state of his new hire, but pays Loyd regardless. A deal is a deal. He'll just have to wait until the poor fellow sleeps it off. He redocks with Vieques and waits for his new guest to awaken.

RE: A Junkers' Enterprise - WildBill - 09-10-2014

The portly man snores loudly from the floor of the main cargo bay. Bill sits nearby, waiting impatiently. So far this oversized doctor has slept for nearly 24 hours. It's time to wake him up. The loud clicks of his boots do nothing to disturb the scientist. The bucket of ice water, however, gets a reaction.

Alex screams and rolls all over the floor swatting randomly in the air. Shaking violently, and very red in the face, he finally notices a dark figure standing over him. “What the hell was that, and who the hell are you?” Alex yells at the stranger standing beside above him. The dark figure just stares at him for a moment. The intense glare from this man is quickly unsettling Alex. In a meeker voice he asks “Do you have any idea who I am?”

The first step of this process has been completed almost painlessly. Alex is now out of sorts, and almost to a manageable temperament. The arrogance is still there. He's trying to throw his name, as if he should instantly be respected. The old Junker leans back, tilts his head up, and starts howling with laughter. When he's finally able to breath between laughs, he addresses the pudgy scientist. “Heh, look here, you done drunk so much you fergot yer name. Ain't never heard of somethin like that b'fore. Good thing I don't need you to have a name. Folks call me Bill Hickok, an I ain't ever fergotten it.” Bill states, followed by more gut-wrenching laughter.

At first Alex slowly become more angry. However, as Bill finishes his joke, Alex can't help but feel a little entertained. As Bill doubles over with laughter after cracking another joke, Alex begins to chuckle with him. It's not long before Alex is laughing just as hard. As the laughter subsides Alex attempts to regain some footing in the conversation. “I like your style sir. I have not forgotten my name. It's Doctor Alexander Muelski. You appear to be very entertaining. Based on your stance, however, I can only assume you are my new employer? If so, what am I doing here? Where is my team? And, do you have a cure for this horrid hangover?”

“Well, you might have a few of them smarts we're needin round here. Yes I'm the man what hired you. Yer folks have been fixin up yer new lab. You an I are gonna find ourselves a way to remote pilot all my ships. As fer yer hangover, well, bit that snake back.” Bill states, as he pulls a flask from behind his back. He takes a quick swig, and passes the flask down to Alex.

While Alex takes a swig a young woman quickly rushes in to the bay. She kneels down next to Alex and whispers something in his ear. As she stands up and leaves, Alex pulls himself up. Turning to Bill he smiles. “My team is the best and brightest minds in the universe. They have already determined that your current software does not meet the requirements for the project we are beginning. Unfortunately, the software we require is not available to the public. I am afraid there will be no way for us to obtain it, or even start this project.”

For a moment the old Junker looks concerned. Laugh lines quickly deepen again as Bill quickly snatches back the flask. He takes a long pull, laughs, and hands the flask back. “Ain't it yer lucky day? I'm a Junker. We got the reins pulled tight on the Black Market. I can git you yer software.” He states as he walks to a communication panel. He quickly sends a message to Loyd. “I got more work fer you. I'm needin some specific software. Don't need no legal copies of it, so git it from the black market. We're gonna need bout 50 units. Best be careful when haulin these though. Most folks don't take kindly to stolen or counterfeit goods. Git it here within the next 24 hours, an I'll throw in an extra few credits.” He immediately terminates the transmission without waiting for a response, and signals Alex to follow him.

As the two men walk out of the cargo bay Alex's voice can be heard echoing in the empty bay. “I do hope you have a bar on board. I could really use something stronger to drink.”