Discovery Gaming Community
Disable the Universal Up? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Disable the Universal Up? (/showthread.php?tid=121825)

Pages: 1 2

Disable the Universal Up? - Chrystoph - 10-16-2014

Is there a way to turn off the Universal Up function? What I mean is, there seems to be a "law" that says we all have agreed that this direction is up, and the ship will automatically orient to it, left to its own devices.

I would like to be able to shut that off, if possible.

RE: Disable the Universal Up? - Auriec - 10-16-2014

In the options menu in the tab "Controls" -> "Ship Controls" there is a line called "Auto Level" before you reach the weapon group controls. Assign a key to it. Using this key you can toggle the automatic orientation adjustment.

RE: Disable the Universal Up? - SMGSterlin - 10-16-2014

Oh.. So that's what Auto Level does...

RE: Disable the Universal Up? - Fluffyball - 10-16-2014

(10-16-2014, 09:23 AM)Chrystoph Wrote: Is there a way to turn off the Universal Up function? What I mean is, there seems to be a "law" that says we all have agreed that this direction is up, and the ship will automatically orient to it, left to its own devices.

I would like to be able to shut that off, if possible.

I believe it is called System Plane or something like this.

In book series The Lost Fleet it was pointed out that "up", "left", etc. commands were issued on basis of the System Plane, because all ships, even if in formation, were usually tilted in different angles, like someone else's bottom deck was upper deck or even starboard. There is no up and down in space after all.

This is the most believable option, because System Plane would be based onto 1) most planet orbits (as systems formed upon a disc) or 2) magnetic north of the sun (this however would not be an option, because it very varies) or even 3) the galactic north (but different issues here as well). So I bet System Plane would be based onto the first option and would be agreed upon, like our Sol is "kinda" flat in this matter (only orbit of Pluto is pretty different).

RE: Disable the Universal Up? - Chrystoph - 10-16-2014

(10-16-2014, 09:54 AM)LordVipex Wrote: In the options menu in the tab "Controls" -> "Ship Controls" there is a line called "Auto Level" before you reach the weapon group controls. Assign a key to it. Using this key you can toggle the automatic orientation adjustment.

Thank you!

For anyone that has ever complained about a ship having weak defenses, if you can incorporate this and roll ship controls into your fighting style, reduced or eliminated weak spot.

RE: Disable the Universal Up? - Chrystoph - 10-16-2014

(10-16-2014, 10:37 AM)Toji-Haku Wrote: I believe it is called System Plane or something like this.

In book series The Lost Fleet it was pointed out that "up", "left", etc. commands were issued on basis of the System Plane, because all ships, even if in formation, were usually tilted in different angles, like someone else's bottom deck was upper deck or even starboard. There is no up and down in space after all.

The proper astronomy term is the Ecliptic. System Plane certainly makes sense, though.

RE: Disable the Universal Up? - Zen_Mechanics - 10-20-2014

Space is 3D so you may think you are up but infact you are down. The universe is big and messy and there are galaxies beneath the earth and all around it. Its just for convinience that freelancer has planets in a perfect line with each other

RE: Disable the Universal Up? - Fluffyball - 10-20-2014

(10-20-2014, 12:19 PM)Zen_Mechanics Wrote: Space is 3D so you may think you are up but infact you are down. The universe is big and messy and there are galaxies beneath the earth and all around it. Its just for convinience that freelancer has planets in a perfect line with each other

This is why we mentioned term Ecliptic (thank you Zen about this one!)

OH YES, it reminds me. I wonder if there was any chance to make a HUGE update, where all the bases and planets would be kinda moved up, down, or even tilted a bit in different positions? Like all bases over Manhattan, while the planet would be in fact down of the "sector" with titled to 70 degrees up Docking Ring and Mooring.

Something like this:
[Image: R2awlVa.png]

I remember mod Rebalance did such thing.

RE: Disable the Universal Up? - Chrystoph - 10-20-2014

(10-20-2014, 12:19 PM)Zen_Mechanics Wrote: Space is 3D so you may think you are up but infact you are down. The universe is big and messy and there are galaxies beneath the earth and all around it. Its just for convinience that freelancer has planets in a perfect line with each other

Most star system actually have the majority of their planets on the Ecliptic. It is the plane that the solar accretion happened on as the star formed.

RE: Disable the Universal Up? - Fluffyball - 10-21-2014

(10-20-2014, 04:08 PM)Chrystoph Wrote:

Most star system actually have the majority of their planets on the Ecliptic. It is the plane that the solar accretion happened on as the star formed.

I however would like to tilt some planets up or down (see: Planet Aso), because it looks kinda neat. Same with TLs, being a bit tilted up or down, minimally, but visibly.